Ask a Union Gov't Worker.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Yes. This is the thread.
Anything you want to ask.
No matter how ignorant or how scared you are of asking.

(Yes...yes I did rip off the black guy thread. ) :D

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Burt Reynolds mustache.
burt-moustache.jpg

No more need for asking questions.

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
Myself being a private sector non-unionized worker, could you explain the concepts of 'job security' and 'pension'?

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
Myself being a private sector non-unionized worker, could you explain the concepts of 'job security' and 'pension'?

Well, when I left private sector years ago for a 25% pay cut I did so because I got tired of bosses telling me " you'll work in a shop with no heat in sub zero temps because i told you to do so", and " if you aren't here Sunday don't come back Monday, we don't care if you're sick". Yes, in this day and age heavy equipment mechanics work like that. The boss said, if you don't like it go somewhere else.. i did. Unfortunately it also means seniority is the only measure of worth, which is crap. I've seen useless workers keep jobs while good ones were layed off. I guess to answer the question, job security means there has to be documented legitimate reasons for termination. On the outside there is no such thing for blue collar workers

Pension is bull****, IMHO. Gov't is the last hold out from the days when your employer= career. I'd much rather have a separate retirement package that I could roll over into a new employer when I get a better pay offer. Pension in my case is roughly 2% salary per year of employment with a 30 year requirement for not being penalized. Basically 60% salary after 30 years service. I didn't have to contribute to the fund after 10 years of employment, but new employees contribute forever, much like a 401k that you're locked into.

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
How much of an 8 hour day does a govt worker actually work?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
How many rare breeds of forrest owls have you helped to protect/extinguish?

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
How much of an 8 hour day does a govt worker actually work?

Depends. I do about 10... some do about 2. I won't lie, the Unions protect bad employees so much it makes me sick at times. That said, most civil service jobs have 1 year probation periods... supervisors almost *never* have the balls to write bad reviews and that has nothing to do with Unions. I know not why they don't deal with the problems while they can.

Do you see a prevalent vilification of Government Workers in general as part of the problem of "Big Government?"

Yup. People really don't understand that most of the public employees getting vilified make far less than private counterparts. Much like here in NY where regular police got cut while police top brass got 13% pay increases.

why are unions destroying the country?

why are union workers such greedy blood suckers?

where is Jimmy Hoffa?

1) They aren't. Globalization is.
2) Because businesses/corporations/gov't are equally as greedy.
3) I've asked if they found Hoffa at the end of ever union meeting. I still haven't gotten an answer ;)

*edit* case in point to parts 1 & 2 : NY State gave big tax breaks to IBM to say open *here* and employee people *here*.. they promptly found a loophole and had workers use the time to train overseas counterparts before they got layed off. IBM made record profits in part because of these tax breaks, and layoffs.
( related source that I could find quickly: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9130639/IBM_layoffs_raise_ire_in_N.Y._State_Assembly )

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
When is the much justified nation-wide strike scheduled (Despite the Taylor Law and equivalent)?

Nah. We'd rather wait until all of us that are capable of leaving do so, and you're left with nothing but the useless workers. Think DMV is bad now? Hahaha