Something I don't understand about DSL.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
oh i guess you are. I can almost promise it the routing. Need to open some ports, specifically the PINGing ports IIRC. i don't know, Im the DMZ host on my router so i never mess with it.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
*Grumbles while looking up the word "tuppence"*

You offered only one word of assistance. That will get you one pence. You'll have to earn the other pence.

*Grumbles something about needing to be funnier and goes to sleep.*

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
C.Chan said:
oh i guess you are. I can almost promise it the routing. Need to open some ports, specifically the PINGing ports IIRC. i don't know, Im the DMZ host on my router so i never mess with it.

FYI, ping is at the IP layer. It never reaches the application layer, thus it dosn't have a port.

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
Wouldn't that be the "Network" layer?

TCP/IP doesn't exactly follow the OSI model and the layers are rather loosely defined. The network layer in TCP/IP would be roughly the network/datalink/physical layers in OSI. These layers basically figure out how to send data over the physical medium. The IP layer handles IP packets (who would have thought?). This is where the network stack handles ping packets. Above this is the application layer (TCP/UDP sockets). Ports associate packets with a socket. Ping packets never reach this point.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Ahh, that's right... I remember now. Heh, I didn't study the TCP/IP model as well as I should have during CISCO Academy :)

Thanks for the refresher :tup: