UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I tried the patch, as it was said some fixes that were said to be added during betatest of patch are simply not there, also where is auto taunt? I didn't hear it while playing with bots. I hope the next patch will also solve problems like while playing as krall, the hand floats in the air unless you start shooting with wep etc in certain situations, after picking up new wep while shooting etc. Or when fps is really low, the linkgun altfire sound becomes stuck, ok this is fixed that it is no longer at player, but instead it does play the stuck sound now on the pickup, it's called now not on the player but globally on the gun, wtf..I think it hapened to bots actually though and not to me.
And I experienced that while bots shoot at you with linkgun altfire, the link does sometimes get broken in occassions, the effect does.

I am glad it fixed other issues, but the game feels different now, i dunno why, like if the playability was gone bit wrong, i enjoyed more the 1.2 patch, or maybe I am just tired...

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Leo(T.C.K.), so what is exactly wrong with the game now as far as the playability? I'm curious because I haven't installed the 1.3 patch yet, but was going to tonight.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It's probably just problem at my side with hardware etc mainly and that I am tired now and just something else.....dunno.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Downloaded and installed. Still didn't test anything.
Happy to see that Epic is still trying to support such a (sadly) unpopular game. That means they have not given up on UT quite yet.
I'm not so happy about the fact that people still cry about it though. They don't have to do these patches, or do UT you know that. But they do, and we should thank them for their time. I agree that some crucial features that were in the other games are missing, but in all seriousness, do you think this game would be better if it was in the same state as Crysis, with no new patches coming? No. So grow up and stop crying, take all the patches you can and say thanks. Because as I said they most certainly are not obliged to make these patches, they could just concentrate on Gears of War 2 and nothing we say about that would change it.

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
Argh! how the goddamn hell did they STILL overlook the missing UI previews for the bonus pack maps? I thought that was listed as fixed in the changes list?

Where is motion blur? I can't find it in the options and don't see it in-game.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Downloaded and installed. Still didn't test anything.
Happy to see that Epic is still trying to support such a (sadly) unpopular game. That means they have not given up on UT quite yet.
I'm not so happy about the fact that people still cry about it though. They don't have to do these patches, or do UT you know that. But they do, and we should thank them for their time. I agree that some crucial features that were in the other games are missing, but in all seriousness, do you think this game would be better if it was in the same state as Crysis, with no new patches coming? No. So grow up and stop crying, take all the patches you can and say thanks. Because as I said they most certainly are not obliged to make these patches, they could just concentrate on Gears of War 2 and nothing we say about that would change it.

How romantic.. dev's dont make patches out of the goddness of their hearts, this is a buisness, and patches are good buisness, keeping your customers happy means repeat customers, it's no different than any other service companies and retailers offer you, even on products that don't do well, keep customers happy (even if its at a loss in some instances) and they remain customers (thus making sure it turns back into a gain).

Its not the only buisness model out there, you could choose to forgo it, and some do, but it has proven a good one, and Epic has certainly benifited from their patch history in the past, in form of goodwill and purchases from their customers, woulden't you agree?

But as customers, we also have every right to object if the service provided is not what we want, ofcourse the buisness does not have to listen to us, or do what we say, but it might very well be in their intrest to keep us happy, to ensure we remain customers, thats just how things work in this so called "free market".
It's pretty hard to do buisness if people wont buy your products, because you have a bad track record of making broken ones you wont fix, hence the need to distance yourself from such a reputation, simple enough yes?

Epic is not a mod team, they don't make games or patches in their own free time, they do it in exchange of our monies, and to ensure they can continue to make monies in the future aswell.

If you want gratitude, it comes from true alltruistic actions (or as true as they can be, anyway), and you need to pursue thouse, but it stops beeing alltruism the moment you charge a premium for thouse actions, or have other ulterior motives, then it's a service for sale, so could we please dispense with this hopelessly romantic fantasy of what the gaming biz is, and just accept that Dev's are people who work for their money like the rest of us, games are products for sale, and patches are a PR tool?

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I don't know if T2A meant this or not but ping compensation is almost expected on most console games now days and on many PC games. It makes the game more user friendly and makes the experience better for your average person who doesn't know about or doesn't want to lead targets and all of the stuff that comes with the "ping" territory. Most average people don't really care about "getting hit behind a wall" if they don't have to worry about ping.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most games are 90%+ hitscan, too. Client side hit detection gets worse the further you get from hitscan.

Also, look at all the freaking whining about the game. Not just here, but even in the comments of the posts of other major news sites EVERY TIME THEY RELEASE A PATCH. They are patching the game for the people that still play it, not to get repeat customers out of all the whiners.

Saying they continue patching for business purposes is just silly at this point. It would save Epic more money to not support it anymore, as they could get the people working on patching on other projects working toward a new game release that would make them more money.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Most games are 90%+ hitscan, too. Client side hit detection gets worse the further you get from hitscan.

Also, look at all the freaking whining about the game. Not just here, but even in the comments of the posts of other major news sites EVERY TIME THEY RELEASE A PATCH. They are patching the game for the people that still play it, not to get repeat customers out of all the whiners.

Saying they continue patching for business purposes is just silly at this point. It would save Epic more money to not support it anymore, as they could get the people working on patching on other projects working toward a new game release that would make them more money.
Is the link gun using the hitscans method too?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Argh! how the goddamn hell did they STILL overlook the missing UI previews for the bonus pack maps? I thought that was listed as fixed in the changes list?

OMFG the bs whine of llamas is deafening in here... ppl are crying about map preview screens missing? OMFG give ut a funkin rest... this is really crazy. quick we need a hero to save BU - puhleeeese!

theres lots of stuff that is messed up in UT3 but to go on and on and on and on about stuff like a couple map preview screens, oh wait you guys were joking right? thats not why you dont play UT3 ...

and just to avoid confusion, i only quoted you Alo cause you were the last to say it... i aint talking at you - im talking to the global "youse" that are outta their ever freakin lovin minds ;)

and btw: thanks for the latest patch Epic :)

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution

search in video options in settings and click in the advanced options, there you go MOTION BLUR ! yiay!!! BOOBIES!:lol:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001

If they dropped all pretense of continued support, how many people would bother with that new game release? If they're going to release a game in the state that UT3 was at launch, and then abandon support for it, I wouldn't.

So whatever their reasons may be, I think they still have plenty of business incentive to continue support. C'mon, MSUC isn't even over yet, how would that look if they just gave up? Maybe they think they're the shiznit to end all shiznit after getting all that GoW money, but they're going to start burning their reputation if they pull stuff like that.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's not client-side. Zero Ping or whatever it was called from back in the day was client-side (probably).

Today's latency compensation is not client-side. UTComp's is not client-side. CPMA's is not client-side. Source and CoD4's are not client-side. The netcode that UT3 should have wouldn't be client-side.

The weapon firing effects and animations are client-side, but the hit detection is still all server-side. The difference between a compensatory netcode and an "old school" one is that the former keeps a backlog of player positions up to some odd milliseconds (350 in UTComp). In this way it has a table through which it can look up old positions based on the ping of whoever's taking a shot.

So, if I have a ping of 60 in CoD4 and shoot some poor bastard, the engine looks through that player's position log and finds where he was 60 ms ago. If the bullet's vector intersects this old position, I get credit for a hit. This works because while the shots appear to happen instantaneously on my end, it still takes 60 ms for the server to become aware that I've fired a shot. If Defart comes in with 200 ping and shoots some poor bastard, the engine looks back to 200 ms ago, and everything is cool up to the backlog time limit.

This makes aiming transparent and natural client-side -- you aim at what you see and the server compensates. The "old school" way means you have to compensate yourself based on a guess of what's going to happen in the next [ping] milliseconds. The end result is that the game is no longer based on the best guessing but rather the quickest reaction time because everyone's on equal footing.

The guessing game may have been the standard 10 years ago, but by now there's little reason an FPS shouldn't have latency compensation built into the engine.

Your second point about the compensation getting worse with projectiles doesn't hold up outside of UTComp. UTComp's problem is that it pushes the spawn point of projectiles forward based on ping, so anyone with a sufficiently high ping gets to play with (more or less) hitscan flak and rockets. Projectiles were effectively compensated for twice, which is why playing Defart in UT2004 always sucked ass. His rockets would literally spawn 800 units in front of him, making them undodgeable.

This doesn't happen in TF2 or CoD4.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

That's just short sighted, making an extra buck right now is not worth the potential loss of future customers, having a skeleton in your closet, a product that people will remember for poor customer service, can certainly hurt you in the long run, you dont want people thinking "yeah.. but i remember that other game, they didn't care to fix that, so what garuentee do i have they will support this one if its buggy?" when browsing for games to buy (just look at how people view EA games, they only survive because of their sheer size and agressive marketing i'd say), infact it could burry you if this becomes a common occurance, this is "damage control" 101.

But honest here, haven't you considdered such things when buying a game? and have you not also given Epic the benifit of the doubt with UT3 because of their good track record? i know you have atleast done the latter, you have said so often.

And its naive to think that companies don't speculate in this, infact thats pretty much exactly what any marketing department of any given company is payed to do every single workday.

And it works, too, if they finally rolled out a patch for some bug ridden filth like.. i dont know, Battlefield for instance, then you could be pretty sure that its players would be more inclined to think "well that was about bloody time" rather than "yaaaay they treat us sooo good!", but nontheless, they would remember that patch, and EA would have one less skeleton in its closet some time down to road because people are more inclined to remember the good stuff rather than the bad, hell, even if they do a half-arsed job of patching a game, people will be there saying "well atleast they tried, we have seen others who didn't even do that" and it works.

Hell, just look at UT2003, would you say that people where generally overjoyed with how post release support was going back in 2003-2004 for that game? probably not.. i think if you think back, you'll remember alot of the same sort of wailing and gnashing of teeth over various things people felt was still missing from that game after the last patch, but here we are 4 years later, and people will usually point out how good Epic has been with patches, including thouse for UT2003, as proof of Epic standing by their games, i'd say thats a positive result for Epic, woulden't you? and the same will be true for UT3 some years down the road aswell, mark my words, it will happen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hell, just look at UT2003, would you say that people where generally overjoyed with how post release support was going back in 2003-2004 for that game? probably not.. i think if you think back, you'll remember alot of the same sort of wailing and gnashing of teeth over various things people felt was still missing from that game after the last patch, but here we are 4 years later, and people will usually point out how good Epic has been with patches, including thouse for UT2003, as proof of Epic standing by their games, i'd say thats a positive result for Epic, woulden't you? and the same will be true for UT3 some years down the road aswell, mark my words, it will happen.
I guess you weren't around for UT2003, given your response.

By the time the game had been out 6 months, all the whiners had abandoned the game forums for other places that interested them more. The amount of whining that goes on with UT3 is at least ten times, if not hundreds of time, more than it ever was in UT2003. And UT2003 had a far shoddier release than UT3 did.

Additionally, UT2003's final patch came out 7 months after the game was released. Another patch was promised, but never arrived before UT2004 came out.

I'm not saying there is no benefit to Epic continuing to support UT3, but they certainly don't need to by any means. I don't know what you whiners want from them. Patching costs money, it's not going to get their full development time and budget. Each patch has had plenty of really good fixes, and frankly, if they fixed things that one person is whining about, then people will whine about something else. There is no way for them to stop it.

Chances are many of the fixes Epic implements will be for online play and mod support because that is what they need for MSUC to be successful.

Also, T2A, thanks for wasting your time explaining something that didn't need explaining. The newnet method of prediction is bound to be less precise than any other, mostly because it is not native and does not have access to machine level code. As far as the rest of your rambling, that is no different than what every game does for shot prediction. Even the Unreal Engine does that. Also, TF2's projectile prediction is quite imprecise, but I'm sure your 40 ping that you can't live without wouldn't expose that to you :p

I wonder who added that sir_brizz is wrong tag! :eek:

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
UnrealGrrl: I'm actually happy with the rest of the patch, I have no other issues with the latest patch outside offline settings still not saving.. the reason I personally reacted so aggressively about the lack of previews for the bonus pack is that the list of changes in 1.3 actually states they /did/ fix it. Most will dismiss a 3rd party map right away without a preview, because it's a noobish mistake to leave out and takes almost zero effort to fix. Some people just get irked by presentation marred with things that constantly remind them of 'beta' or 'incomplete', and the bonus pack was definitely incomplete when released.

SPIDEYUT2K7, cheers, ugh I have a heavy fever from the flu atm, I can't believe I overlooked the damn 'advanced' settings. *goes back to bed*

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I looked for that fix and I didn't see it.... which section was it under?