Problem Hosting UT 1999 GOTY Server!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but I played UT games before like, UT 1999 (GOTY edition) and UT 2003 and UT 2004. Now I play only UT 2003 and UT 1999 GOTY, and I wanna host Hamachi LAN server for me and my friends, and UT 2003 seems to be working just fine!

However, UT 1999 GOTY is giving me a hard time. I usually TRY to host from in-game, that means I run the game and go to Multiplayer > Start LAN game > and I setup my server config and I hit Dedicated and the game closes and crashes without any error. And when I press just start (it is a method without running dedicated server on your PC, it is umm.. Well It's CLIENT/NET or LAN not DEDICATED/NET-LAN. Anyways when I press start (starting without dedicated server) I get this error:

Critical Error

Failed to load 'SkeletalChars': Can't find file 'SkeletalChars'

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <-
UGameEngine::BuildServerMasterMap <- ULevel::Listen <- Listen <-
UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <-
ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Please somebody help me!

NOTE: When I installed game I had mouse lag problem and I had to change renderer in-game to OpenGL and now it doesn't lag, and I used someone's else UnrealTournament.ini config file that I downloaded from the internet and it fixed the lag. Maybe that is the main problem? I'M AFRAID OF REINSTALLING BECAUSE I THINK IF I REINSTALL MAYBE THE LAG PROBLEM WILL OCCOUR AGAIN!

Help needed ASAP! :(

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Is it all updated to 436 or 451 since you're hosting a server? I doubt that's it but sometimes the simple things...

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
My UT 1999 GOTY? Erm I started it up and in upper right corner it says: 436. Is that good?

And not sure about UT 2003 but I don't really need help with it though

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
So I only need to download the file from the first link you gave me? Please guide me through this installation process! :(

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
What is this UT Server file?
Bonus packs? Erm, what bonus?
451b is latest patch? What is different in it? I now have 436 and I can still find online games with people in the servers playing.
What is Unrealiable-adv-patch???
What is Tick Fix??
What do you mean DNS Google?

NOTE: I have now downoloaded first link you gave me and I think I got the server working finally, BUT still I need answers for above questions please? :(

medor

Mar 15, 2009
What is this UT Server file? the server for go on and play

Bonus packs? Erm, what bonus? patch update and mods

451b is latest patch? What is different in it? I now have 436 and I can still find online games with people in the servers playing. 436 is for player-side ..... 451b is the update for server-side

What is Unrealiable-adv-patch??? for no hacker crash your server

What is Tick Fix?? antilag system

What do you mean DNS Google? DNS faster go to wikipedia for about DNS

if you want a full server with update done and custom mods on http://medor.no-ip.org/Entire_Server_Download/ServerFullMulti2013.zip

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
If you use someone else's INI file;
1) You will loose most of your configs for your video and audio renderers, mods and game-modes, and reference to your server packages.
2) You will gain someone else's configs for most of the mods and extras on their PC. Including their choice of server packages.
3) You don't learn from it, so you can't actually fix the problem (only 1 line in your INI needs changing).

Using someone else's config, is the last act of the desperate, or people who have no idea what they are doing.
Unless someone has prepared/edited a config for your setup and needs, this is a "no-no".

Skim through the UT99 page at "Your Unreal" http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/unreal-tournament.
Most of the links will take you to the actual authors and project sites.
There you will find the important documentation you need.

436 was the last official patch. 451b is the last unofficial patch with fixes and updates.
It breaks the editor, so should not be used if you need that.
Basically you need to install 451b for servers, so anyone with a version higher than 436 can join. It also has many server fixes (see the docs).

The skeletal animation patch is part of one of the bonus packs (you will find 2 Bonus-pack fixes on the page I gave).
You will need other patches to enable more advanced models and other groovy stuff.
You should also update your GOTY with Chaos from the official site, so you have all the weapons, and can host a Chaos game everyone can join.

Basically the GOTY disc is way out-of-date, and things have moved on a hell of a lot.
REPLACE THE ANCIENT DX AND GL VIDEO RENDERERS ASAP !!
Read Raynor's tweaking UT guide, then my tweaking Windows page, then grab some useful network tools.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/tweak-windows
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/network-router-internet-tools

You can even have 2K4 pickups in UT99.
Install the UT99.org map-pack 2, and you will be able to immediately enjoy some of the newer stuff.

You will get expert and friendly ut99 server help over at ut99.org or Hooks Place
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org (The Captain has been hosting UT for a loooong time).

If you want to see the old UT kick some ass, then check out Nali Weapons 3

I think Medor was giving you a faster DNS lookup to use ? Who-knows?
Any way this tool (and site) will clarify the benefit of over-riding your ISPs DNS lookup.
http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Last edited:

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
Well I just wanna host normal UT 1999 GOTY server for me and my friends to play over Hamachi (LAN over Internet). And now multiplayer works perfectly (at least for me). Now I see there are some patches and a lot of bonus things? Do I really need the latest patch? Do I really need those bonuses? They make the game even more fun to play?

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
When I put that command line in my Unreal Torunament.ini my server just freezes when I enter it. So I removed the command line from .ini file.

SOKOL_TOMA_007

Feb 15, 2013
By the way, I gotta port forward 7777 port on UDP for other players to be able to join me?

NOTE: I'm gonna use Hamachi only for Unreal Tournament 2003.