The Lord of the Rings movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What did you think of the movie?

• It was great!

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • It was long... a two bathroom break movie

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I'm in England

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
Originally posted by Chrysaor
OMFG THAT MOVIE FUCKING OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First 5 minutes, dropped my jaw as I looked on in wonder at the computer animated battle scenes. Every inch of this movie was crawling with genuine character from teh books and stunning, and I MEAN STUNNING visuals. Holy **** all 3 of the towers were perfect!!!!!! GOD I LOVE THIS MOVIE. This exceeded my very high expectations. I saw it at 4pm yesterday (19th). and i already wanna see it again. Lucifix, you may not like some of the elvish stuff, but the BALROG SCENE IS WORTH IT! I would say it was better than the book. :)

My brother is the biggest star wars fan in the history of ...well that i know anyway, and he liked this better than Episode 4 even tho he didn't like the book ( he only read the first) so I think that cinches it. If the second two are this good, there's no reason why this won't be the best trilogy in the history of movie making. my current #1's are starwars 4-6 and indiana jones, but I get the feeling this will displace both :)

GOD IT WAS so AWWESSOOMME!!!!! *sigh* I can't wait to see it again.

Calm down... do you need to wash your undies now?

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
Originally posted by Sven_ya!
But, when it comes to this movie, it's simply a hard-and-cold fact that those who don't see it are not complete and probably have major psychological issues ... and are probably ugly, too.

Exactly

FreakinMeany

Booga booga boo!
Nov 20, 2001
Humid as hell, FL
www.mapraider.com
Originally posted by BangOut
I haven't been this excited for a movie since The Phantom Menace, but after seeing TFotR, Star Wars seems hollow and vapid, not to mention childish. It's not the second coming like many people say but it was a good three hours.
No kidding. I don't think I was even this hyped for TPM.

BangOut's got a point here. Before I even saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I had a gut feeling that it would make Star Wars feel somewhat second-rate. Boy, I was right.

I have a hunch (laugh) that this is due to the fact that everything about FOTR is top notch: the casting, the acting, the screenplay. Hell, the actors ARE the characters! Everything feels so unbelievably genuine and tangible.

SW has a lot going for it, and I still love it, but FOTR has exposed just how much SW lacks the in the "genuine and tangible" department. I'm hoping that "Attack of the Clones" will make up for this somewhat, despite the seemingly bad acting in the new trailers.

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
Star Wars is slightly derivative of LotR to begin with, and when you take away the flashy technology from SW, we are left with a fantasy tale with a less interesting plot.

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
Brilliant film! Absolutely one of the finest fantasy films ever. You can take "fantasy" out and this still qualifies as brilliant.

As true to the story as you could hope, great casting and acting.

See this on the big screen--- you regret it if you don't.

BTW... hello all.
:B

Ex-cenTrick

Nov 8, 2001
Minnesota
www.liquidorigami.com
i have always been a fan of the books and i had been highly anticipating this movie. i was so excited that i went to see the midnight preview on tuesday 12/18. expectations for a movie had never been so high, yet with every turn it exceeded my every hope for it. i plan to see it as much as i can possibly afford before it leaves the theatre.

eventhough i think it is an incredibly well done, and it has definitely reached my top five, it's still not my favorite movie. strangely enough not even of the year (at least i believe not). my favorite movie would have to be dancer in the dark. although not as visually amazing, it has one of the best storylines. it also has a lot of personal meaning to me, so my opinion could very well be considered biased.

anyway, i've typed enough (as i always do), and now i must go.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
D&D will raise again from the ashes...

Man, that was a well done flick.
Saw it Wed nite w/wife as planned and finally got back to the keyboard.
Here's my review:
D&D will raise again from the ashes...
Without a doubt one of the movies most anticipated by myself this year. The fellowship of the Ring or better known as "Lord of the Rings", is from beginning to end an adventure that takes the audience into the realms of JJR Tolkien's Middle Earth and the heart of his intrepid little halfling, Frodo Baggins.
Picking up where "The Hobbit" left off with seemily a happy ending, we find out that Gollum's "Precious" ain't too precious afterall and older only in years Bilbo not a very happy camper. Nephew Frodo is left this baggage and in the end with his friend Sam (who would rather dance with a Cave Troll than ask a girl)
Turns out the ring is bad joo-joo and makes the dark side of the force look like grown men inflicting menstral cramps on eachother.
Problem is the only place to flush the ring permanently is in the dead evil doods outhouse, which just turns out to be this erupting volcano surronded by tens of thousands nasty things including hostile locals keen on general carnage.
The fellowship of the Ring joins us with Frodo's companions on the first leg of his journey to do the deed and the many trials and tribulations along the way.
The technical scoop:
Fun Factor: Goto the bathroom before it starts, you won't want to miss any part of this movie, and if you do, will prolly gladly shell out the bucks to watch it again, and again...
(re)Playability: The amount of detail is simply amazing. Make sure you get this movie on DVD when it comes out 'cause you'll wear out a VHS.
Bots: Where would we be without some bad guys to off? LOTR delivers a wide variety of foes to dispatch, from the lowly mud sucking Orcs with bad dental hygiene, to the Mr Badass of them all, Sauron, Evil undead Wizard to the umpteenth degree.
Flow: The story line effectivily moves us from one location to the next with probable impetus, ever nearing the final goal.
Items: Ya baby, this is what Fantasy Role Playing Games are all about. mFireworks, mRings, mSwords, mArmor (m is for magic) there's plenty to go around only this Frodo guy ends up with most of it. Monty Hall's will prefer "The Hobbit" over LOTR.
Theme: Superb casting and acting ('cept a few too teary eyes) give a real presence in a very unreal world, suspending belief and delivering it on the 72,000 inch big screen.
Architecture: DM-Moria anyone? Terrain mapping and flyby sequeces were outstanding. Interiors get heavy eye-candy and the round corridors of Hobbiton inspirational.
Lighting Okay, the light boxes at Dorin's crypt shone in from both directios, other than that even Gandalf's firework display was well done. The only red lights under the stairs was from lava and the large amounts of dynamic lighting didn't slow the frame rate at all.
Textures: Rivendell was very Shane, if you know what I mean. Skinning was extremely detailed and the variation of texture sets gave each location it's own feel right down to the race that provoked it.
Sound: A wee bit Irish umx. The ambients and effects had me fully rigged. Not since Jurrasic Park did the scream of the big bad dood make me grin so wide, The Balrog's flaming roar will undoubtly make even Godzilla lovers glee with envy.
The wrap up:
Okay, so I went out and bought all the books (my first set disappeared decades ago) Call me nostalgic or just a sucker for a fantasy, this series has long been entitled to a "good" movie. I'm glad in some ways that the producers only covered part of the trilogy rather than hash it all into one incoherant mess. Some editing was done, live action and computer generation fills in for what was left out.
With Frodo looking out over Mordor, one realizes that hope is all that one has to go on at times, and friendship, even absent friends, can be a powerful ally. /gushing
Leaving us asking one thing:
"When is the next movie coming out!?"

Last edited:

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
Did anyone see the harry potter movie...it was terrible. Bad acting ( except from Coltrane ), medicore plot and effects, horrible "moral message" throughout and very slow paced. Don't see it under any circumstances.

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
I enjoyed the movie very much. Maps and textures were phantastically made, especially the outdoor areas. Most I liked Moria and the tower of Isengard with the mines of the orcs around Isengart. Good thing was that everything looked quite real and not so painted, like in the last star wars movie
I read the books 2 times or so. IMO they reduced the storyline too much in favor for the action-elements and came too early to close combat. The nice thing about the book is that it begins nicely in the Shire, no direct contact with the black knights and gets more brutal in the middle of the first book. In the movie they tried to make action from the very first moment. The first scene should have come a little bit later, when Gandalf reveals the secret of the ring to Frodo.
One of the small things I disliked was the sound. This constant crying of the black riders was a little bit annoying and took a lot of the tension. Also when Frodo is on the Hills of ... and escapes with the rings help from Boromir and stands on the hill looking to Mordor - in the book the world suddenly becomes silent and his senses awake so that he can see things far away (gathering of the orks, etc) he also sees the eye watching for him and finding him (dunno wether I remember exactly) - whereas in the movie, there is lot of noise this redflamed thing. could have done better IMO.
Last thing. They cut out the OLd Wood at the beginning (Tom Bombadil) and are suddenly in Bree.

I´d like to see a world of this kind in a computergame. The movie should give some talented mappers a lot of inspirations:)