UT2K4 Demo out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
UT 2k4 "beta" Demo is out!

Well, it seems to be out. I've latched on to the official bit torrent link, and am pulling down 34k/sec. The torrent file is attached to this document. Just download it, download

http://www.bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

Bit torrent (if you don't already have it) and get downloading! In a couple hours after I get a chance to play it, I'll post my thoughts.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Not much of an improvement over 2k3... Sure, it's got vehicles. But they aren't terribly impressive. Sure, it's got Assault gameplay. But it's not as good as EAS. Overall, I give it a 'meh'.

Bh

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Sure, it's got vehicles. Sure, it's got tons of new gameplay modes, new weapons, skins, characters, a new storyline, new maps and new gameplay elements as well as a much cleaner game. But it's not going to jump out of the screen and give Bhruic a blowjob, so "meh", right?

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Wow, and I mean wow. How could it suck that bad. Wow.
I mean damn, it's UT 2003 with one more goddamn gametype. The new gametype has some cool possibilities, but they messed it up. It comes down to one damn point rather then having an option of taking other points like BF. I'm pretty dissappointed. UT was awsome, and I guess that's the end of that.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
Sure, it's got vehicles. Sure, it's got tons of new gameplay modes, new weapons, skins, characters, a new storyline, new maps and new gameplay elements as well as a much cleaner game. But it's not going to jump out of the screen and give Bhruic a blowjob, so "meh", right?

Hmm, I see, so in your world "tons" is 2. Right. And the storyline, that's pretty damn important for a strictly multiplayer fps. Not to mention the new maps that no one else could possibly make and allow people to download for free. Or new skins. And the new characters should really change the way the game is played. Not to mention adding a new weapon or two. Wow, you're right, this is a whole new game! :rolleyes:

Bh

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
jaymian said:
Wow, and I mean wow. How could it suck that bad. Wow.
I mean damn, it's UT 2003 with one more goddamn gametype. The new gametype has some cool possibilities, but they messed it up. It comes down to one damn point rather then having an option of taking other points like BF. I'm pretty dissappointed. UT was awsome, and I guess that's the end of that.

Actually, it doesn't have to come down to "just one point", it's just the default for that particular map. It seems like you can even change the "links" for the map, so you could make them all link to each other, if you wanted, which would make for a much more "open" game. I actually liked it more than the Assault map, the whole "walk up and touch a spot" seemed pretty cheesy after EAS.

Bh

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
Not to mention the new maps that no one else could possibly make and allow people to download for free.

That is the one of the most stupidest arguments I've ever heard. Why not go further and say "Not to mention the entire GAME that no one else could possibly make and allow people to download for free."?

I actually liked it more than the Assault map, the whole "walk up and touch a spot" seemed pretty cheesy after EAS.

If you think about it, EAS is sort of more "walk up and touch a spot for 5 or more seconds".

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Bhruic said:
Hmm, I see, so in your world "tons" is 2. Right. And the storyline, that's pretty damn important for a strictly multiplayer fps. Not to mention the new maps that no one else could possibly make and allow people to download for free. Or new skins. And the new characters should really change the way the game is played. Not to mention adding a new weapon or two. Wow, you're right, this is a whole new game! :rolleyes:

Bh
My definition of "tons" as 2 is closer than your statement of "weapon or two" is to 4. I don't know about you, but when I played UT for the first time, I read every single word in the map descriptions of every level I played before I went online. The new maps were made by paid professionals, and have been continually refined throughout the development of this latest update. You're not going to see quality like that in many player-made maps, bud. All-new skins and characters will give you more pretty things to stare at and allow you to customize your character better than before.

So let me just ask you, Bhruic, what the **** did you expect? This is an update, not a new game on a different engine. An UPDATE. A few new things here and there are what updates ARE. What in HELL did you expect?

Wow @ Geno. Looks like I'll actually have someone on my side for once.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Geno said:
If you think about it, EAS is sort of more "walk up and touch a spot for 5 or more seconds".
Ah ah, in EAS you had to walk to a spot and hold a key for five or more seconds. It's completely different.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
GenoOfTheCrayon said:
That is the one of the most stupidest arguments I've ever heard. Why not go further and say "Not to mention the entire GAME that no one else could possibly make and allow people to download for free."?

Oh, please. People actually make quality maps for free. People do make games like UT for free. Try not to compare apples and oranges.

:rolleyes: Yes, that's one possibility. Or, you walk up and actually have to use something. I'm not saying "the UT system sucks", I'm saying "I prefer the EAS style". Where you actually appear to be interacting with the environment instead it all magically happening for you because you stepped on a square.

Bh

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Under the features of vehicles and the two or three weapons, a few points, is the same old gameplay of UT. Just prettier, and with more "bang."

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
People do make games like UT for free.

Show me. Show me any quality game like that.

Yes, that's one possibility. Or, you walk up and actually have to use something. I'm not saying "the UT system sucks", I'm saying "I prefer the EAS style". Where you actually appear to be interacting with the environment instead it all magically happening for you because you stepped on a square.

Yeah, FTU said it better with the "press a key" thing. It's still pretty much how I said it, whether it's taking the CD, capturing a spawn point (which IS just standing in the magic square), or blowing up a base with planted explosives (Hell, that one snow level in the canyons is like that. Just stand there until it says "bomb planted"). And not all of UT's AS was standing in a magic square. Some things you had to shoot at, too. EAS just added a use key :p

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
So let me just ask you, Bhruic, what the **** did you expect? This is an update, not a new game on a different engine. An UPDATE. A few new things here and there are what updates ARE. What in HELL did you expect?

Really, what's it to you? I mean, you've jumped all over anyone who didn't like it like they insulted your kid. I posted my reaction to the game after playing it. You don't agree? Fine. Post your own reactions.

The fact is, I got more "updates" to the original UT for free than I'd get if I bought this game. There's nothing that I see in there that would make me want to plunk down money to pay for it.

Instead of acting like someone has been pissing in your soup, feel free to talk about what you think is so note-worthy that you're willing to go all "fan-boi" about.

Bh