A few music remakes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Take One

Dec 9, 2009
I know this is a bit unorthodox for a first post, and it's going to look even worse if this isn't actually the right forum (I saw a similar thread in the Content Releases forum), but here goes...

For a while, I've been going through the Unreal soundtrack and picking out tracks that I can remake, particularly the orchestral ones. I plan to eventually remake the entire soundtrack but some are, of course, alot harder than others, given today's music and quality 'standards'. I only have a few at the moment but I'll keep updating when I finish new ones or at least have something worth hearing.

Basically, I just want to show off a bit.

(The titles are links to the audio player)

Harobed
I've made about five versions of this over the last few years and this is the closest I've come to perfecting it, in my eyes. It's just the first part of the map's music, the ambient part - I don't have any convicing instrument samples to remake the other two, yet.

Isotoxin
Alright, I wasn't really sure if I should upload this one or not. It's just the intro of the original version of the song, before the intro was cut out for the game. Doesn't really sound much different from the original. I'm going to have to re-do this one completely because I lost the project file.

Dusk Horizon
One of two I'm most proud of, so far. It doesn't include the action music, but I've tried to make the main part as orchestral and movie-epic as I can. Aside from some very slight clipping on a couple of loud hits, this one's finished. My cousin was convinced that I'd called it 'Duck Horizon'.

Surfacing
I only finished this one a few days ago. It still needs a little work but it's nearly done - the percussion instruments don't need to be so loud and I mixed some of the melodic instruments weirdly. I think I spent more time trying to work out how I was going to recreate the main crystal-celeste-thing line than actually remaking the song (as you can hear, I eventually opted for a glockenspiel and the string ensemble I probably use too much).

The Sunspire
My all-time favourite piece of music ever written, so I have to put some effort into this. Just to warn you, this one's long. I've got up to the action part of the music, just before the main melody part kicks in. I think I'm more proud of how this one is turning out than any of the others, and, in FL Studio, this is the biggest project (visually and hard drive space-wise) I've ever written (the only thing I don't like is the french horn I apparently just shoved in at the end).
-NB: I've actually made a version of this song every year I've been writing music, which has kind of become a way of measuring if and how I've improved in the past year - going back since the end of 2005. I might upload them if anyone wants to hear them but most of them are awful.

I'm always working on more of these, so it shouldn't be long before I update this.

Keep Unreal living!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Harobed - Much better than the old one which is outdated in quality.
Isotoxin - The track is still cool but yeah the original feels so oooooold, so I'm looking forward to the revamp since the intro sounds already rock-on good (<3 techno!)
Dusk Horizon - Uhm no. I don't like that beat halfway in the track because it sounds pretty cheesy. But then you have to take into account that I don't like orchestral/epic stuff so you may want to ignore my opinion on this.
Surfacing - I don't know. It does seem like someone is playing the track in a cave and the sounds quality is weird, especially the beginning. Anyway it becomes really good in the second half so props to that.
The Sunspire - The best of the bunch obviously. Then it's Spire we're talking about so you can't really go wrong with that source material. Too bad the best songsection still isn't finished but I'm looking forward to it.

Take One

Dec 9, 2009
I like Isotoxin really much. :)
Looking forward for (the/a) final version.
Do you plan also to remix the UT tracks?

Funny you should say that, actually. I was working on Skyward Fire and a couple of others but I didn't think of uploading them.

Harobed - Much better than the old one which is outdated in quality.
Isotoxin - The track is still cool but yeah the original feels so oooooold, so I'm looking forward to the revamp since the intro sounds already rock-on good (<3 techno!)
Dusk Horizon - Uhm no. I don't like that beat halfway in the track because it sounds pretty cheesy. But then you have to take into account that I don't like orchestral/epic stuff so you may want to ignore my opinion on this.
Surfacing - I don't know. It does seem like someone is playing the track in a cave and the sounds quality is weird, especially the beginning. Anyway it becomes really good in the second half so props to that.
The Sunspire - The best of the bunch obviously. Then it's Spire we're talking about so you can't really go wrong with that source material. Too bad the best songsection still isn't finished but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the comments, UBerserker. Only two things, though - In Dusk, what beat would that be? I didn't add a beat... or change anything in the song, for that matter, just updated the instruments. Surfacing... yeah, as I said, I still need to mix it properly. Everything else, though, I appreciate it. =D

Take One

Dec 9, 2009
The instrument orchestral sound which starts at 0:34.

Aha. Uh, that's actually the original sample I took out of the mod file for the song. All I did was add a bit of reverb. >..< To be honest, I'm not even sure what the instrument is - some kind of synth. It's just labeled as 'Metal'.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Did any of you except take one actually listen to the original isotoxin? The one in the game has no intro compared to the original one from the disc called Progression and this remix reuses that old intro..
However the remix doesn't feel that good, it is like if its out through silencer at the end part.

The original is also used in Swordtail's map which can be found here:
http://www.freewebs.com/swtproductions/otherdownloads.htm

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I know the full Isotoxin and I prefer how the revamp sounds (which the original definitely needs one).

GeckoYamori

Apr 27, 2008
There's no orchestra hit sample like that in the original Dusk. It does stand out too much in the remake. The original sample is, from what I can make out, some kind of percussion (drowned in reverb) with some horns and strings. You could try replicating that.