UT3Dom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008

This man just saved me the effort of typing out an (imo) unnecessary reply. Thanks, bud. :)

In short, hal, you don't know what the hell my post was trying to explain.

On the topic of xloc-tag-xloc-tag, I might have been mistaken there due to playing a lot of DDOM in the 2k4 era, as well as playing Warsow domination-style matches. Still, my point stands. I, for one, find no-xloc matches more interesting in DOM mode for a couple of reasons, one being that defending an instant-capture area when people can just teleport in is much harder than defending, say, a flag that needs to be captured.
Another one being that long-range combat is nearly eliminated while using xloc in DOM. This results in most battles being rocketspam, which a lot of player complain about already WITHOUT xloc.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I don't know how to play DOM, or that I am supposedly too noobish to kill someone using a translocator. Mind I am a great fan of them in CTF.
Individual map layouts, powerup placement in stock maps and bottlenecks on stock maps are NOT determinants of a gametype. But draco already explained that. I think we can name a few other 'design decisions' that Epic made that aren't for the best of the game.

I expected better from a forum veteran.

That said, I'm (once again) considering setting up a UT3 server, this time running domination mode. This gametype, like most, is just way more fun when played online, and I see there are very few servers running it that ping under 200ms to me.

So, especially when the new additional DOM variants come out, how will the map/type rotation be handled? Will this mod be compatible with existing voting packages capable of switching gametype? Will UT3Dom offer its own possibility to switch between the different types of DOM?
Considering the fact that players aren't exactly abundant in UT3 already, and this mod also only attracts a part of that population, having lots of servers running different types of UT3DOM separately might not be the best idea. I think it would be for the best if all those types were voteable from within any of the DOM types after or during a match, alongside map voting.

Is this at all possible? I haven't seen any regular UT3 servers with the option to vote gametypes..:(

Last edited:

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
This man just saved me the effort of typing out an (imo) unnecessary reply. Thanks, bud. :)

In short, hal, you don't know what the hell my post was trying to explain.

On the topic of xloc-tag-xloc-tag, I might have been mistaken there due to playing a lot of DDOM in the 2k4 era, as well as playing Warsow domination-style matches. Still, my point stands. Individual map layouts, powerup placement in stock maps and bottlenecks on stock maps are NOT determinants of a gametype. But draco already explained that.

:) thx

That said, I'm (once again) considering setting up a UT3 server, this time running domination mode. This gametype, like most, is just way more fun when played online, and I see there are very few servers running it that ping under 200ms to me.

So, especially when the new additional DOM variants come out, how will the map/type rotation be handled? Will this mod be compatible with existing voting packages capable of switching gametype? Will UT3Dom offer its own possibility to switch between the different types of DOM?
Considering the fact that players aren't exactly abundant in UT3 already, and this mod also only attracts a part of that population, having lots of servers running different types of UT3DOM separately might not be the best idea. I think it would be for the best if all those types were voteable from within any of the DOM types after or during a match, alongside map voting.

that would be real sweet bro, i have been searching for on line dom servers since the mod came out, so far all i have found is 2, one thats locked 24-7, another that is public...although when i tried to join the public one last night, all i would get is "UTMT_content" miss match error, i even tried moving my utmtcontent file out of my ut folder so the server pushed me their version, and it still didnt work so i didnt get to play any online dom last night :(

Is this at all possible? I haven't seen any regular UT3 servers with the option to vote gametypes..:(

supposedly patch 1.3 will have the in game voteable system back in FINALLY lol. but idk when patch 1.3 will be final, or how well the in game voteable system will actually be.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I saw a server running it but it was giving me a package mismatch- "UTMT_Content"

What is this for?

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
I believe it means that the server is running a different version of that package than the one that you have. Thus the problem is either on your side with a bad install or on the server's side with a corrupt/tampered/plain old different package.

Or at least that's my speculation from my experience with 2k4.... could mean something else if the package matching system changed drastically since then :hmm:

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
na its not client side because like i said a few posts up, when i got the error, i even tried removing MY UTMT_content file from my ut folder temporarily so the server pushed me a new one "their version" and it still didn't work, i still got the same error even after being pushed theirs so im not sure whats up at all

(btw, after it didnt work from the push again, i re-replaced the utmt_content package with the original)

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
interesting, you're gonna need an answer from the team or somebody who has experienced and solved the problem already by the looks of things.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Time to answer everyone's questions. :)

@Draco73.

No worries man. You're still cool with me. :)

@DarkPulse

Patch v1.3 Beta 2 is fully compatible with UT3DOM, as is Patch v1.2 final. :)

@everyone who's having the UTMT_Content issue:

UT3DOM uses a modified Alpha v0.1 UTMT mod, and when people are using the original v0.1 Alpha, it has alot of isues. Make sure to delete the old UTMT Mod before isntallign UT3DOM's version. It has a few enhancements to the v0.1 Alpha that y'all might like, such as coloured translocator, some ai tweaks, and some code modified to work for the ps3 and other mods that use UTMT alot better. :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
On the topic of xloc-tag-xloc-tag, I might have been mistaken there due to playing a lot of DDOM in the 2k4 era, as well as playing Warsow domination-style matches.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I don't know how to play DOM, or that I am supposedly too noobish to kill someone using a translocator.

Individual map layouts, powerup placement in stock maps and bottlenecks on stock maps are NOT determinants of a gametype. But draco already explained that. I think we can name a few other 'design decisions' that Epic made that aren't for the best of the game.

Yes, you were mistaken, which makes me wonder why you're trying to tell everyone the best way to play UT DOM? Based on DDOM? Based on Warsow domination? You took a perfect example of why the xloc is not enabled in DDOM and transfered it onto UT DOM gameplay, which is fundamentally different.

I never said anything about your ability to kill someone using an xloc.

Retail map layouts, powerup placement in stock maps, default settings etc ARE a roadmap to how the gametype was intended to be played. It's also the way it was predominantly played in the height of UT DOM. Whether or not you like that is irrelevant.

You can expect me to point out BS when I see it. As you yourself attempted to do (see below).

Btw, how is 'some pickups cannot be reached' an argument for DOM+xloc? That's a matter of map design, not inherent to the gametype...
It's like saying CTF should always be played with instagib on, because without it you can't boost a teammate off the towers on CTF-Face. In short, BS.

^^ There's the point I said was illogical.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com

UT3DOM uses a modified Alpha v0.1 UTMT mod, and when people are using the original v0.1 Alpha, it has alot of isues. Make sure to delete the old UTMT Mod before isntallign UT3DOM's version. It has a few enhancements to the v0.1 Alpha that y'all might like, such as coloured translocator, some ai tweaks, and some code modified to work for the ps3 and other mods that use UTMT alot better. :)

but does that mean that the 1 dom server out there is in fact running the old utmt version, since everyone i know is getting the same error after ut3dom install?

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
but does that mean that the 1 dom server out there is in fact running the old utmt version, since everyone i know is getting the same error after ut3dom install?

its possible but no way to know for sure without asking them :p

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Time to answer everyone's questions. :)

@Draco73.

No worries man. You're still cool with me. :)

@DarkPulse

Patch v1.3 Beta 2 is fully compatible with UT3DOM, as is Patch v1.2 final. :)

Does your mod still provide the multi-team mod's deathmatch gametypes?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Anyways I didnt read all this but I'll say I prefer to play without trans, although UT3 CTF its definatly worth using it occasionally. For DOM though Im a big condemned fan and with the jumpboots in a prime location the trans can ruin that map.

I do have acouple of crits, well one major one and thats the gametype list! I think its great you guys added more than just domination in this mod but seeing all those [4 teams] and what not and not seeing any of the Epic gametypes up top is a touch annoying. Sure I can scroll down to get to them but might I suggest using a mutator if only for a hook to the gametype to change the amount of teams :cool:

The capture points are next, so while I applaud you for trying to keep it classic for DOM I really think those points could be brought into the current gen alittle more. They look fairly dated next to the other assets, perhaps something in the way of a realtime environment map using render to texture. Just a suggestion anyways :)

I'll really have to give this mod a good play when I get the time so I can give you some more feedback, but for now keep up the good work this is looking to be a great mod ;)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
i've only had time to check out 2 maps, but i have to say, they were sweet. My fav map right now would have to be contrast. I know that there will be many who hate it due to the amount of fog, but imo that really adds charm to the level! It will force players to get up close for a fight, no camping in the distance and sniping. Also, i love how you are just running around in the fog, with no sense of direction, every now and then bumping into a team mate or enemy and having a bit of a fight before being swallowed by the fog once again. That map is pure genius!
The only problem which i want to point out right now (IE, i have encountered more but don't have time to talk) is that the bots are still way too accurate in the fog. I am being sniped by bots who obviously can't see me.
Another thing, the shock rifle and link gun fights in the fog among the trees look so cool! (just had to say it before some more problem pointing out)
Ok, got that out of the way. The bad thing about that is the bots uberawareness again. While it is extremely cool, it is also frustrating because i am getting repeatedly raped by bots who i can't see and who i am sure can't see me.

So, i love the map. But as an offline player it is far from perfect. What i suggest is a bit of kismet that alters the bot behaviour on this specific level. So, until they are a certain distance from you, they will not notice you. Other then that, no modifications are really needed. This is essentially making the fog affect bots as well, and would make for a fairer game offline.

but really, with that all said, the 2 games i played were a bloody great GG and i can't wait to see what else you packed in that download!

agrees with last post.
On the note of old assets: I think the capture points are fine, but as MonsBoy says maybe an updated texture or something to keep things modern is in order.
maybe an overdose on ut3's bloom setting around the icon is the way to go