SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah I was basicaly jsut syaing keep the LG the same, and instead of having it deal 70 damage at its max range, have it degrade over distance slightly, thus limiting its viablility for long distance crotch shot action. Since it's a Lighting bolt its firing weakening over distance makes sense, its a lame ass idea reguardless and would proly cause lag

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No, that idea is bad because the point of a "sniper weapon" even if not to "snipe" literally, is something efficient (or more efficient) at long ranges.

You wanna balance it so it's not effective at close ranges, like the LtG is now. Like giving it the switchaway time of the cSR, lengthening the RoF, or no unzoomed crosshair, stuff like that. With a change of that nature, an increase in damage might be warranted.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
No zoom would be horrible tho, one of the awesome things about the UT sniper has always been getting insane long distance shots without zooming. It would be a lot less fun if they undid that. The RoF is already pretty darn low compared to every other weapon in the game. Maybe it could be slowed down a touch, but I dunno... I just never had much problems with 2k4´s weapon balance. IMHO the problem wasn´t the guns but maps like Goliath, where anything but a hitscan weapon is damn near useless.

The switchaway time though, that is a good idea.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
It's just a name.

Just because there arent' arcs of electricity shooting from the end of it, doesn't mean it can't be a better weapon than the crappy 2k4 sniper

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
HardcorexxX said:
Since it's a Lighting bolt its firing weakening over distance makes sense

The LG fires a tiny metal harpoon which conducts the charge, so if you'd want to balance the weapon according to it's description it would be kinda silly to make it weaker at longer ranges.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
LoL i guess ive never looked close enough, or there is no animation of the acctualy hardpoon or whatnot leaving the gun? And besides as I said its a lameass idea and anudbis makes a good point.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
I could get really technical and come back at you with the fact that voltage degrades over a wired connection so I still make a valid point but Ill go with you instead since making any serious argument on those grounds would be retarded

That being said there's a groovy new technology transfer electricity over an ion path with a laser bean that amkes the electricity travel straight and not degrade over distance which is pretty cool

Last edited:

Krazy K

Mar 27, 2006
If the LG isn't in UT07 imma be pissed. Every game needs a "sniper" weapon and every game has a sniper rifle. UT has the LG, don't change it. I've been weighing the pro's and con's about the LG getting stronger or weaker over distance. I've thought long and hard and honestly I can't decide. Every aspect of getting weaker/stronger over distance has its advantages and disadvantages. I think they should just limit the ammo to a certain degree. What do you guys think?

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
The lightning gun just feels so much better than the Sniper - when you fire it you actually feel like you just shot a high-tech weapon and see the bean arcing out towards your opponent. With the sniper it's a little pop and, if you're lucky, a PING! hitsound...

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Not the old UT sniper, when you fired that thing it felt like it could really take your head off!!,Sadly the lightning gun just whispers atm,

The idea of a lighning gun is good in principle but
I'm hoping that if they bring back the lighning gun, they fix the effect and the sound, so it feels like a lighning gun

Same goes for the secondary on the Pulsegun,

Just compare the UT pulsegun with the 2kx Link,

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I agree that the Ltg is more "unreal", but if the sniper rifle was like the UC2 one, with a smoke trail and 1.6 second reload time, it could do the job just fine.

Also, if you're going to have both Ltg and sniper, there are some things you could do to keep sniper less redundant, ie 0.8 second reload time, with 100 headshot damage, but only about 20 non-headshot damage...this would make it much different than the Ltg.

Also, as far as projectile snipers, the Generations mod for Quake 3 did something cool with the Wolfenstein class sniper rifle. The fire rate was on par with the other rail guns (about 1.6 sec reload) but it was projectile, and ricocheted off of walls. There was nothing more satisfying than making precise sniper shots from around corners by leading and predicting the opponent without even seeing them...Also, the projectile glowed like a tracer, so it was still relatively visible to give away player's positions, though not as much as a rail or lightning trail.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Yea. they should keep the LG. 2k4s attempt was at a regular sniper rifle was a joke. it was the most useless weapon in the game simply because it was waaaayyyyy to slow, especially on switching(wake me when the damn thing finally switched slow). it was also too weak in 2k4. we dont need another piece of crap like that in 2k7, although i fear we may with some of the weird choices for replacments epic picked(stinger ftl).

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
I'm with you Kang the Mad its great, has cool effects (will have even better if in UT2k7) and is different from most sniper rifles cause it fire Lightning!

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I just thought of an idea that could limit close combat use of a sniper weapon; explosive rounds with and arming distance. That way, if they are too close you only do 30-60 damage. However, if you are far enough away that the bullet has time to arm itself you get the usual 70-120 damage. (The higher damages obviously the headshots.) What do you guys think?

Saverous

Mar 29, 2006
voidlore said:
I think the lightning gun feels more "Unreal" than a generic sniper rifle
absolutely agree. Lighty is my favourite weapon in UT. When I've read that in UT07 LG will be removed, I've been simply shocked. I hope that Epic's read this forum. Sniper Rifle in UT2004 just s*cks! It's a camper's dream. LG well balanced, I feel this weapon, and SR don't. Removing it it's a great mistake.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I think all it really needs changed still is the switch away time. Try to duel someone up close with all the weapons on deck, then do it on grendel. Sliding cSR shots inbetween rockets is suicide. Sliding bolts inbetween rockets is almsot necessary.

Projectile sniper with ricochet would be cool, I saw a mod like that for UT as well. Another thing about some sniper rifles of the past I've liked is the ones that carry through targets. Few things put a bigger smile on my face, then triple plus kills with the AWP, or one shot Impressive's in Q3. Retaining both of these qualitites would definately warrant a big reload and switchaway time, but would be mad fun when used properly.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
The number one reason I like lightning is the fast switch compared to reload time. It really encourages people to use it with something else, instead of just using it standoffish and taking long distance shots.

My fav thing to do is lightning shot people then dodge jump in and flak prim them.

Second reason lightning gun owns is the 140 damage headshot capability.

I think every other scifi game has a slow switch sniper weapon, but I really like ut2k4's faster switch, and I hope they do the same for the future. But if they have a slower movement and more powerful projectiles, maybe it would be better for the sniper weapon to have slow switch time.

Last edited: