UT2004 Patch 3369 Beta Test

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
S

Sir_Brizz (heh)

zeep said:
This is bad.

In UT99 this means hillbugging, ducking behind crates=invisible, attackers see you before you see them.. etc. You do the math. Yes it optimizes the server but costs players relevancy.

mmm Thinking some more, this could also mean that the server does check for relevancy and not the clients. I hope so.
I don't feel like logging in.

Of course this is how it works! They would be stupid to remove the checking altogether. By not having the clients do it, the client doesn't have to transfer any data. This could potentially reduce the number of dud projectiles (when newnet is not used).

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
"Convert '|' to 'I' in player names."

Why??????

EPIC: "All your non alpha-num char's are belong to us"

:/

Last edited:

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
So, instead of modifying the code to ignore a "new line" if it occurs in a player name, Epic does this??

I suppose that would be too much work when they are busy with UT2007... :(

Last edited:

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Well, a lot of clans will certainly be pissed, because that char is an oft-used char in clan tags. Epic has not been clan-friendly in that respect. No official colored-name support, limited alt/unicode-char support, and now this. Where's the rant forum, pfft...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why does everything become about how clan-friendly it is? Ever think that maybe it's just not practical? What if it will take them 20 man hours to "fix" it as opposed to just doing a 5 minute workaround?

Also, of course they aren't removing line of sight checks on the server. All that removing them on the client is going to do is remove the amount of throughput required on the client, which theoretically could reduce the number of dud projectiles.

The only other thing I have to say is that there are enough optimizations in this patch at this point to make it worth patching now. I hope that server admins are foresightful enough to load it on.