Why games will always look fake...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Sir_Brizz said:
heck yah let me run around in a holodeck for a while :)
Yeah. That would be an ultimate gaming mashine. I'd be one of the first ppl to be addicted to it. :D

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Han, I read an article in Smithsonian Magazine about that... pretty compelling evidence. Reminds me of those days in my independent studies art classes when I'd use something called an Artograph to assist with projects.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
WebSlinger said:
Han, I read an article in Smithsonian Magazine about that... pretty compelling evidence. Reminds me of those days in my independent studies art classes when I'd use something called an Artograph to assist with projects.

You read the Smithsonian? Wow, I'm picturing you in front of a fireplace, wearing a smoking jacket (including the white ascot) and smoking a Sherlock Holmes pipe.

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
JaFO said:
I say : screw lenses and give me a true 3D-monitor ... AFAIK they *do* exist, altough they're only used for research-purposes and are hellishly expensive.

And as for tv/movies looking 'real' ... it's because they're not as perfect as computer-generated images often are.

at my uni-faculty, we have one of those sweeties
along with a really cool pressure system that lets you feel virtual objects
quite freaky but even more fun :p

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
One thing that they've fixed in recent video games : have you noticed how in old games, the image looks like a drawing when you stay still ? This is not the case now as it seems that some dynamic filter is being applied to the image or some light effects are being used.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Metakill said:
In order to focus your eyes on a specific distance, you need a real concept of distance. For your brain to judge this distance, it requires two separate images, hence we have two eyes. Walla! Binocular vision.

*LIGHTBULB* Hasn't anyone here ever played or owned a Virtual Boy? Even though it had cartoony graphics (not exactly realisic) the concept of depth was AMAZING. This is because, just like Metakill said, you were shown two separate images.

*digs his Virtual Boy out and plays Mario Tennis*

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Daedalus said:
actually, if we could have computers that could render and process literally an infinite number of polygons at once, then we could have realistic looking games. This problem wont happen, ever, or at least not for a very very long time.

I was reading some stuff on quantum computing the other day. Very interesting and exciting. I would suggest everyone here go look it up sometime. It won't be computing infinity - theoretically impossible - but a hella lot more than our current computers.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Games won't always look fake, but will we see games that will be indistinguishable from reality in our lifetime? I say yes, but only just.

Doom is exactly a year old today, now if thats what the progression rate is for games, what will games look like 10 years from now? Theres a hell of a difference between the sprite 1.5d shooters of old and the bump-mapped shader-laden gaming world of today.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
WebSlinger said:
Webby<--- opera singer

Yes you are.

I've listened to the soundtrack on your site a number of times and I am throughly impressed by how powerful your voice is.
:eek2:
What do you think that voice cost you, in dollars?

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
TossMonkey said:
Doom is exactly a year old today, now if thats what the progression rate is for games, what will games look like 10 years from now? Theres a hell of a difference between the sprite 1.5d shooters of old and the bump-mapped shader-laden gaming world of today.

Doom ? You mean that game that came out with 486 CPUs (1989) ;) ?

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Since we were on the subject of images, I thought I'd show you what goes into
a flight simulator visual system.

mirror3.jpg

This is a mirror, it is in it's deflated condition. It is a large sheet of Mylar (same
as a potato chip bag, sorta) It's streched over a plenum (the round white thing) and then
is drawn back into a sphere by applying a vaccume to the back side. Sorta like a backwards bubble.
Once it is pulled tight you cannot see any wrinkles, it looks like a perfectly round mirror.

It is then placed on this platform, right in front of the cockpit. The cockpit is below that big Gray Bubble.
We project an image using 3 or 5 projectors (depending on the application) onto the gray bubble from the backside,
or the top back of the simulator. The projectors are like the red, green and blue 3 lens projection televisions. We
Just have more than one channel.

The pilot now looks into the mirror that is right in front of him, but he sees the reflected image that is on the gray
bubble above him.

mirror4.jpg

After the visual system is installed. We cover the entire thing with fiberglass "blackout" panels, so that light can't get
in and so it looks pretty. :p

Here's what they look like when finished.

This is a really really old one:

http://www.olympic-airways.gr/images/avisimulator300uk.gif

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
****, that was a dumbass typo wasn't it?

Yeah Doom was 10 years old on the day of that stupid post. Still, my post still stands, 10 years and look how far we've come. Doom3 is on the horizon and it looks cool, imagine 10 years from now.

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Nice explanation there hanover..

Someone said something that struck me, like on the second reply to this topic, which made me think: Everything on the screen should be in focus. WhY? Because whenever I look at anything and everything, no matter where it is, it is focused. If I'm not looking at it, I couldn't care less if it is out of focused, or focused so sharp my eyeballs would bleed.
Therefore, since I'm looking at everything on the screen, it should all be in focus.
You can argue.: "But cryco, i bet you don't look at the entire screen at all times equally", and I would say, "well, the part of the screen I don't look at, is probably not in focus to me, regardless of the way it's being displayed"
Conclusion, if it's on my screen and I can see it, it shouldbe in focus, my eyes will take care of the rest.