In this forum...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
You're original "argument" is that there are unreal haters here
What, that argument? LOL You guys actually took that one seriously?

By the time they got to bullet storm they weren't even trying to understand us. They just went through the motions of a release.
Wasn't Bulletstorm developed mostly by PCF?

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Oh yes, and not to mention the fact that the last UT3 didn't do so well either, so that may make them even more cautious in kicking another one out any time soon.

UT3 didn't sell well because it was a half-assed tech demo that had no lasting appeal. Exactly the opposite of Unreal, UT and UT2004.

There is something to be said for selling out, but I'm not so mad about that. GOW is a great game, as is infinity blade, and I'm happy for their success.

I wasn't trying to imply that GoW and IB were/are bad games; quite the contrary, in fact. But it's clear to see the direction Epic prefers taking these days (meaning 'not PC.')

I also applaud them for trying again with UT3. I just think they tried to make UT something it's not. Somewhere along the line they stopped caring about the UT fanbase. We were ignored in an attempt to widen appeal. At the time I defended them because it was difficult to hear through all the noise. The community said a lot of stupid things, and in many instances Epic was right to ignore us. However, in this process they also became incapable of understanding what we really need ed. This ultimately led to a slew of bad decisions that killed UT3. Things like focusing on single player, using gamespy, and releasing with a bad interface should have been no brainers if they had been more in tune. And don't even get me started on how they ruined CTF.

By the time they got to bullet storm they weren't even trying to understand us. They just went through the motions of a release.

I would have applauded them for UT3 if UT3 was worth playing for more than thirty minutes. I haven't bothered with Bulletstorm because all I hear is that it's "meh."

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
UT3 didn't sell well because it was a half-assed tech demo that had no lasting appeal. Exactly the opposite of Unreal, UT and UT2004.
No one's arguing with you on that. I'm just saying it didn't sell well so Epic will probably be more cautious about making another one no matter why it didn't sell.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
UT3 wasn't bad. It just had a very bad launch, which resulted in a very dead community, compared to UT2004.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
You're original "argument" is that there are unreal haters here, no one has proven it, certainly not you. No one has claimed that they hate Unreal here so I don't see how you've disproved anything.

Probably 5% or less of the people who post here still play any type of Unreal series game, and Neonite is the only BU staff member who plays any Unreal or UT afaik. Probably 30-40% of the current posters never even played Unreal or UT so I don't think they can hate something they've never played.

Myeah... it's far far less these days. I mean, they're still on the computer, but there's other games to have with fun with.

And I've played them a few too many times...

The only Unreal universe game I don't like is Unreal 2 - it shouldn't even have that title.

That's one I'll never play again. Not because "it's not unreal and I haetz it". Mainly because it was so repetitive and predictable. And bad AI. And crap ending.

Last edited:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
U mad bro?
funny-gifs-that-kick-down-a-tree.gif

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I'm not one to say what is Unreal and what isn't, it was just a bad game whereas all the others were good to great.

If all the other games were shiny new rolls of Charmin or Northern TP, Unreal 2 was a soggy used wad of Scotts 1000 with brown streaks gluing it to the bottom sole of some internet trader's douchebag loafers.

Stupid Tree!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 wasn't bad. It just had a very bad launch, which resulted in a very dead community, compared to UT2004.

I disagree. I pre-ordered it and played it for like a week, and I quit because I didn't like it at all, not because of the amount of players or anything else. It felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't. It had too much Gears of War in it, and that I definitely hated. The characters were few and cookie cutter, the taunts just made it even more ridiculous, why do you think they became a meme around here? I personally think UT3 failed because it lost all of its personality and style. At least that is why it failed for me. :(

Meh. Companies change stuff based on what has made it big. Just look at people claiming Diablo 3 has too much WoW in it. I don't know what to think about that, but I really hope Diablo 3 isn't like that and has the classic Diablo feel. :eek:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
You can't really pin the UT franchise as something that has lost it's style because of other big titles.

I dont' recall any other games that UT3 could have possibly based itself off of, except for Gears, but that would mean a complete overhaul mid production because surely UT3 was in developement before that game was released.

And even then, it would only be a slight cosmetic similarity which I think you are referring to.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
No one's arguing with you on that. I'm just saying it didn't sell well so Epic will probably be more cautious about making another one no matter why it didn't sell.

Then why are we having these ridiculous discussions? Shut up and play your damn game :D

Meh. Companies change stuff based on what has made it big. Just look at people claiming Diablo 3 has too much WoW in it. I don't know what to think about that, but I really hope Diablo 3 isn't like that and has the classic Diablo feel. :eek:

If it doesn't, you've always got Torchlight and it's upcoming sequel (which is supposed to have multiplayer!)

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Amazon will have it for $7.99 ($2.99 with a promo code) on the 31st. It's worth a try. The premise is great... there were just a few stumbles along the way.

Also don't go into it with a serious attitude, you won't have a fun time if you are overly critical.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Bulletstorm was the only FPS of this year I found enjoyable to play aside freaking Serious Sam 3, try it out.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
You're all mad that I blew all your shoddy arguments out of the water for the fiftieth time.

OMG, HE BEAT MEH IN INTELIJENT DIZCUXZION HE MUT HAV NO LIFE!!

:lol: Prove me wrong or else you're all trollin' (as usual.)

It's not about Unreal hating. It's about Unreal fanboys, like you, who where an old concept by the time UT2K4 hit the shelves. By the time UT3 came along the fanboy element had basically taken a lot of the fun out of the franchise for the rest of the community.

So you discovered the Unreal franchise a couple of years ago. Great I'm happy for you. Go play with it.

Unfortunately you've missed the boat by at least half a decade.

As for other people trolling I haven't seen you do much except rag on other people's threads around here.

Go play your Unreall games sonny and let other people get on with their thing around here.