Star Citizen PAX East Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I really have a boner for this game. I've already bought in and am looking forward to playing this. I really miss space sims.:( Anyway, this is hot.

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZN0vQFNE2o[/m]

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I was a little disappointed. It's pretty, but I could care less about a 5 minute animation every time you get into the cockpit. There's nothing to convince me that they'll make space combat fun and exciting. They've made some technical mistakes, delayed a major milestone, and their demo blew up on them live. I'll check back in when it's in beta.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I was a little disappointed. It's pretty, but I could care less about a 5 minute animation every time you get into the cockpit. There's nothing to convince me that they'll make space combat fun and exciting. They've made some technical mistakes, delayed a major milestone, and their demo blew up on them live. I'll check back in when it's in beta.

Dude, it's pre-alpha. Everything you saw may change. The animation to get in might change, all those bugs will surely be gone I'm sure by the time the game is finally out.

Also, don't you remember the Wing Commander series? Fucking glorious times of space sims. This guy knows what he is doing. I'm not worried at all from what I have seen so far.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Dude, it's pre-alpha. Everything you saw may change. The animation to get in might change, all those bugs will surely be gone I'm sure by the time the game is finally out.

Also, don't you remember the Wing Commander series? Fucking glorious times of space sims. This guy knows what he is doing. I'm not worried at all from what I have seen so far.

That's not the point. It's an extremely ambitious game, and they screwed up the first chance they had to prove that they were competent. So far they've only shown that they have an amazing art team. I can watch videos to see that. We still don't know if they'll be able to make combat interesting, or how all the ambitious MMO style aspects will fit in. Hence I see no reason to buy in to get into Alpha yet. I'll leave it to the irritating neckbeards that were yelling in the front row to spend all day theorycrafting about how to beat out Goonrathi as the dominant corporation. Maybe when beta comes around it will be different.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
It's pre-alpha and they have spent more time making the animations look pretty than it actually function as a space sim, with a timetable of a year and a half left. They could have at least gotten somebody who knew what the crap they are doing to show a demo.

Honestly there are more impressive developers out there. Just because he made one of the first games doesn't mean he still has his mojo. Look at ID and Epic. What of significance have they produced recently?

Evochron Mercenary was done by one persons, and this game below is done by one person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf1odVtlWk

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
41 million funded and still pre alpha. Neckbeards everywhere will be disappoint when this shit fails.

I can smell RIP already.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
That's not the point. It's an extremely ambitious game, and they screwed up the first chance they had to prove that they were competent. So far they've only shown that they have an amazing art team. I can watch videos to see that. We still don't know if they'll be able to make combat interesting, or how all the ambitious MMO style aspects will fit in. Hence I see no reason to buy in to get into Alpha yet. I'll leave it to the irritating neckbeards that were yelling in the front row to spend all day theorycrafting about how to beat out Goonrathi as the dominant corporation. Maybe when beta comes around it will be different.

It's pre-alpha and they have spent more time making the animations look pretty than it actually function as a space sim, with a timetable of a year and a half left. They could have at least gotten somebody who knew what the crap they are doing to show a demo.

Honestly there are more impressive developers out there. Just because he made one of the first games doesn't mean he still has his mojo. Look at ID and Epic. What of significance have they produced recently?

Evochron Mercenary was done by one persons, and this game below is done by one person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf1odVtlWk

41 million funded and still pre alpha. Neckbeards everywhere will be disappoint when this shit fails.

I can smell RIP already.

I imagine there is a lot of other stuff done too, but it wasn't in any kind of show worthy form yet. Just because they have received $41 million, doesn't mean it's all been spent. This shit takes time. To crank out what this game is suppose to be is going to take a while I'm guessing. You are going to be able to fly down onto planets etc. This will be what the Star Wars MMOs should of been.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
...Because this is the only space sim in development where you can land on a planet.

You can say what you would like about taking time and what they plan to do, but to look at this situation there has been lots of talk and lots of pretty pictures with very little to show for it.

Most other kickstarters with less-known developers would have been scrutinized and lauded if found Star-Citizen's position. This is why many kickstarter games have a more concrete vision and fleshed out demos; to prove that they are actively making progress. When kickstarters fall behind or when people sense failure they start asking questions. I hold Star Citizen to no greater position just because the developers made a few great games back in the day and have a pretty graphics engine.

Again, if your curious why there is so much backlash it is really because there is a lot of talk and hype and promise with little to show. It is perfectly fine to describe what the game is going to mold into, but over time if at least details do not appear to be fleshed out or much of the implementation seems to be up in the air, you loose credibility. I'll wait for actual gameplay mechanic samples.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
^ This is my problem. The most promising things the Kickstarter promised have barely been mentioned, let alone not demoed, since the kickstarter ended. And it's been months and months and months.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I have signed on for a $40 package, and I'll probably enjoy this on my Rift, but if I have to be honest, I'm more excited for No Man's Sky.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm actually more excited about some of the other games mentioned in here now. I guess we should throw out Dangerous Elite in there to.

When I watch the Star Citizen footage all I can think of is "wow Homeworld HD is going to look amazing".

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Indeed. Star Citizen has potential, but it seems like they are investing a whole lot of time in the visuals, while the actual gameplay remains lacking. If they want to it a VR title, which they certainly have racked in a lot of money on, they have to make it more seamless.

Meanwhile, you have simpler games like No Man's Sky, that appear perfectly seamless from the get-go, and the developers of that game are already doing tons of experiments with VR. They even have HD prototypes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No Man's Sky looks interesting. Thanks for bringing that up. It led me to some videos of other space sims that are supposed to come out this year. This might be the year of the space sim revival...

Hopefully some of them are actually good. :p

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
No Man's Sky looks interesting. Thanks for bringing that up. It led me to some videos of other space sims that are supposed to come out this year. This might be the year of the space sim revival...

Hopefully some of them are actually good. :p

I hope so. Hopefully they stay on PC too as not to be dumbed down for console peasants.