15 Years of Unreal!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's right, folks. Fifteen years ago today, Unreal hit shelves. In the following years, the series became significant and prolific. Today, we are hoping for something more. We couldn't exactly ignore this milestone, though, could we?

To celebrate, the Unreal Deal Pack is 75% off on Steam. That's a screaming deal for all your favorite Unreal games, unless your favorite Unreal game happens to be Unreal Tournament 2003. You will just have to put up with 2004 instead.

If you want to see Epic's nod to their past, you can obviously check it out. There are some screenshots there to pique your nostalgia.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Some screenshots? Just two. Also they opened the maps with the "Intro" gametype that is used in the flyby apparently. The second screenshot is nice but i'm not sure if a choice about the first one was good enough, don't think the NaliC water cave is that nice, and the crystals don't emit any light compared to other maps (a bit of omission I guess, originally the cave didn't have the crystals afaik).
Also what old poster are they offering exactly? Was there a pic of it?

Sorry to start with nitpicking though, lol.
Yea 15 years, but everyone seems to forget about the game and they still talk about the tournaments mostly, "time to celebrate with ut2004" is what you mostly hear or they have incorrect perception of how things were.
I don't know what's to celebrate if most only see it as a way that opened the path to UT and not really celebrate about the main game. I kinda wish Unreal was harder and less focused solely on the visual side at many maps(while not having much purpose aside that), but it was a great game and a first FPS game I ever got contact into because I avoided Doom etc at the time. But this pulled me in much more, maybe too much, lol.
The game might have been made linear in the end, but there were still secrets and room for exploration. The translator messages gave a story instead of having a predetermined plot or backstory and the choice to keep the player anonymous was imo much better than the original plan where the prisoner had a backstory. It just made you feel like the player more. Then RTNP came along and changed that and even added not-so-good voice lines, while still being anonymous, somehow...because one time you could be female and hear the female voice(which was better than the male one) and other time male. How can that be explained in the continuity I don't know, means the prisoner can be anyone but then again, they've given him/her a number at RtNP. Feels weird to have a character designated yet remain anonymous and possibility of gender/look choice made that even more strange. In that kind of case I think a designated character would be better choice, than what RtNP has done, just like the story in Unreal PSX would have
been. It's just that rtnp tried to mix both character driven/anonymous character into one big pile. Both character driven and anonymous/choice of play can be done well and both do fit Unreal or expansion pack, but not a mix between the two imo. Still for the main game it makes more sense to have a choice. But the prisoner was unnamed in the end, didn't even have a number until RtNP, so player could just choose who he can be and not bother about the backstory of his character. I never realized it that way but rtnp really screwed over this intention in the end because it could fit well into the continutity if you were any prisoner, but suddenly if you have a number and yet can be both female/male and can hear your voice depending on that, suddenly it feels strange, imo.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Has it only been 15 years? Seems longer. For me no FPS franchise has come close to taking up as much of my personal time as Unreal and the UT iterations in particular. I am not shocked at the typical lackluster nod by Epic to there main title, the naive optimist in me however hopes that it is some weird marketing ploy to say, lull people into complacency before an announce, for shock value.

Oh and... Typical generic Elmur troll-rant about steam: I purchased a brand new copy of the anthology at a gamestop here in town a few days ago for $2.50 even though both I and my wife have copies. :p

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
That reminds me to finish up my ongoing SP playtrough. My save is from last year's October :p

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I think the problem with Unreal is that it hasn't really aged that well. Even though UT uses the same engine as Unreal, even it seems to look better, so it's hard to see what made Unreal so great now. UT also had other obvious qualities that skyrocketed it's longevity as well.

In any case, I'm glad they're recognizing it.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It has aged better than many other games overall

Happy Birthday FPS master, it's still going on! :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
If you check the "spectator" option in player settings, this is what you get ;)
That's not possible in singleplayer (only in UT) unless they opened it in coop. But probably that, because I guess whoever took those screenshots didn't understand much about game specifics. There's even a way to remove the hud/crosshair completely using some commands and hudtype switch. I guess that didn't cross the guy's mind either.