New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit pessimistic right now. Just one visit to the utforums right now shows that the community is as split, if not more, than they ever have been. Primarily, I'm going to have to see how Epic handles the most controversial topic above all right now, which is the movement system before I might start being a bit more optimistic.

I really don't envy Epic right now. They have to consciously decide that they are going to alienate part of their user base. But this could all come crashing down at the beginning if they can't handle this one. As controversial as other aspects of UT are, the movement is by far worse than anything else.

That one is easier than you think. Make it UT99 and all is good. Really, all is good.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
That one is easier than you think. Make it UT99 and all is good. Really, all is good.

Sadly there are tons of people in those threads who think UT99 movements are trash and that UT2k4's floaty ones are better

Last edited:

Bloodyboy

UT3 JB Mapper
Jan 18, 2010
France
It could happen (in summer holidays) something like:
"You were on vacation last week? because we voted for no-blood and no-dodge..." :lol:

Let the real tournament begin!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Yeah, I agree with Frank. Let the community sort itself out. It's done a good job of that for years. The jailbreak guys went over there, the invasion guys did their thing, the instagib community plays their stuff, the bombing run guys all.....well they are all dead I guess.

All things considered this is the best way things could have gone. I'm perfectly happy to pay to use cutting edge toolsets and it ensures that the ones that are also doing it have some investment in what they are trying to create.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
But...

How are they going to fund this? Will it just be completely through UE4 subs? Doesn't sound like a very reliable source of funding.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
its not possible to satisfy this franchise its clear.

look at this forum and read the posts https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?35-General-Discussion

i dont have any good hope for this game.

I think we should give those forums some time. Right now everyone is flooding in suggesting their personal favorite game. I think if we wait a few weeks and start real threads with suggestions things will normalize.

We can even start having some discussions here. How about opening a "New UT" subforum? We can start making threads about the core mechanics, threads about the weapon designs, which ones from which previous games we would like to see return (and which firing modes they should have), what artistic style the skins, weapons, and environments should have, etc. Get some ideas flowing about the real basics.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think we should give those forums some time. Right now everyone is flooding in suggesting their personal favorite game. I think if we wait a few weeks and start real threads with suggestions things will normalize.

We can even start having some discussions here. How about opening a "New UT" subforum? We can start making threads about the core mechanics, threads about the weapon designs, which ones from which previous games we would like to see return (and which firing modes they should have), what artistic style the skins, weapons, and environments should have, etc. Get some ideas flowing about the real basics.
We will be opening a new UT forum on the index and I have already heard from Epic that they will read suggestions from there as well.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Yes, there's going to be a ton of fighting among fans to decide HOW the game should play (lord knows I'm part of it right now). However, building the game from community consensus from the beginning is a strength of the game rather than a weakness. Yeah, the forums are going to be a mess to navigate and its going to be hard for them to decide what to do, but let's be honest, if a new Unreal Tournament game was going to be made, these conversations were going to have to happen.

I think this is the best possible future for the Unreal Tournament series. I just hope when looking for fan feedback they base it on people that provide arguments and not just "2k4 sux" or "UT3 is dumb" or UT99 is for poopdicks"

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
And no DRM, too!

Hey now, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. They haven't said anything about DRM. The fact that there's a marketplace planned for mods is a good indicator they're building out some form of Software-as-a-Service platform a la Steam/Origin. Otherwise, what's to prevent someone buying a mod and distributing it to their buds?

There's also the fact that they've talked about an in-house Gamespy replacement for their games
. Something tells me Epic is building something like Steam/Origin/Battle.net for their upcoming games.

EDIT: As excited as I am by the possibility of this, I'm incredibly concerned about how they expect the marketplace to not make a clusterfuck of multiplayer as far as paid mods are concerned.

Last edited:

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
I see a lot of good people emerging from their caves right now :) Almost wish I was a single student again (if my wife reads this - j/k honey), so I could pour my life into it. Last time a new UT game came out, I had to quit my actual game job and map for a while to get the inspiration back. Don't know if I'll be able to do anything but watch this time.
G.Lecter said:
So, if you want to be a modder/mapper you have to pay monthly for the dev tools?
If I was releasing stuff on the marketplace and making enough to pay for the time spent, I would almost pay *your* fee just to get your map feedback :)

Personally, I've always loved making stuff about 10x more than actually playing it, so if I go by the amount of hours I spent making maps for UT1 & UT2004, $19 a month is more than worth it (considering other people might buy a full priced game a month to keep themselves entertained). But that's easy for me to say now I suppose.. long time since being a poor student :)

Btw Epic pls just maek ut1 k thx.

~SS~

May 5, 2014
Sadly there are tons of people in those threads who think UT99 movements are trash and that UT2k4's floaty ones are better

Yes, they engineered the rift when they released UT2003, and now that's damage they'll never be able to undo.

I'm genuinely curious to know if anyone here 'evolved' from liking Unreal Tournament's gameplay to liking UT2003/04 more? If so, maybe all hope is not lost, and perhaps the damage could be undone.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The only thing I don't get is how will they let people sell stuff and still have it playable online on a server. It used to be that whatever junk was on the server you just downloaded it before you started to play. Will they just not let you join a server if you didn't buy something loaded on it? That would be really annoying.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Liking is different than loving. I like UT2kX gameplay a lot, but I don't want them to make anymore games that go that far.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
When a friend of mine told me that in a couple of days Mark Rein and his team at Epic Games will give news about a possibility of a new unreal Tournament, I barely jumped from my chair and scream YESSSSS!!! Hype again for the community and by far is the BEST news i receive in too much time! YES PEOPLE UNREAL TOURNAMENT still LIVES and i´m very happy for that!!!!!!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Okay, so the community is split on what it wants. It would be split even if Epic was building the game entirely on its own without community involvement, so why be negative nancies about it at this point? Sheesh, and I thought I was a devout pessimist...