Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In one of the dev stream things they were talking about that mod team doing a new unreal tournament, my money is on Epic announcing that they're supporting them.
The leaders of OpenTournament have said it has nothing to do with them. Plus, that project is practically dead in the water, and even if it wasn't I have pretty much zero faith they will end up with a decent UT clone.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Did someone say new Unreal Tournament? :)

I got bored of UT3 pretty quickly, but just recently fiddled around with UT99 and UT2004 on linux a bit, and it still holds up A LOT over other shooters. So buying it would be pretty much a mandatory thing for me...despite my opinion on UT3.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Maybe the ripper?

The Razorjack/Ripper should never have been removed. It was one of the quintessential Unreal Tournament weapons. Absolute mayhem, heads popping off left, right and centre (including your own). It's disappearance was a great mystery to me, almost as bemusing as the removal of the lightning gun in UC2 and UT3 (the LG was far more of an "Unreal" weapon than the boring old sniper rifle ever was - who wants depleted uranium slugs when you use forked lightning bolts to blast off heads/limbs and leave the the enemy burning and convulsing? The LG was an elegant solution to the UT SR's fire rate issue, discouraged camping in the most seamless way possible, and was just plain awesome).

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I think ive seen your work.
Its this one, right?
Looking good so far :)

Yes, it is that one.

wow is that ue4
Yes it is.
Right now it is a rough layout, not even a playable one, if you ask me.

The leaders of OpenTournament have said it has nothing to do with them. Plus, that project is practically dead in the water, and even if it wasn't I have pretty much zero faith they will end up with a decent UT clone.

:D
Probably not.
But at least we try.:)

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
Hi there, people from the past!

My account became a bit dusty here, but OH YEAH!!!
Would be great news to have a new good old UT. On the other hand, guess
i have to but a new pc then :D

Gr Fragger

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
In one of the dev stream things they were talking about that mod team doing a new unreal tournament, my money is on Epic announcing that they're supporting them.

Seems very unlikely, given that the team on the forums hasn't really achieved anything yet.

However Paul Meegan posted this before Mark Rein's tweet:
"UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament. Tune in to http://www.Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET. #unrealdev #FirstBlood"

Which has me a little disconcerted to say the least.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
not excited yet, I especially never listen when Mark Rein has something to say since he tends to oversell stuff.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
not excited yet, I especially never listen when Mark Rein has something to say since he tends to oversell stuff.

Yeah, to be fair, Bulletstorm was the megabomb codkiller according to PR across the entire studio. But that's what you get from someone who's job is centered around convincing the public.

Also let's never forget this quote:
"It's impossible to take out a Raptor with a Shock Rifle"

Last edited:

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Lol, look at all these geezers coming out of the woodwork!

What if May 8th Epic just offer UT1 as a freeware download, or release it's source code?

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Lol, look at all these geezers coming out of the woodwork!

What if May 8th Epic just offer UT1 as a freeware download, or release it's source code?

They specifically put UE4 in the twitter post so I don't think that's it unless they just literally remade UT1 in UE4 which I'd be ok with XD I actually did find out that you can literally copy a ton of information from UT1 maps straight into UE4, its pretty amazing that they have kept that working over all these generations of unreal.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
This news has woken me from my eternal slumber.

I know ya'll motherfuckers missed me 8)

I hope its a more community driven game and I honestly wouldn't mind a F2P UT game if it was done tastefully (like TF2, full mod support but you pay for cosmetic stuff).

It started development less than a month ago and they already have a playable alpha. Yeah its totally dead you're right why put your faith in anything!!

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It started development less than a month ago and they already have a playable alpha. Yeah its totally dead you're right why put your faith in anything!!
I could have started 5 minutes ago and have a playable alpha. There is an example game in the UE4 dev tools that would need barely any tweaking. That's not an accomplishment. It should worry you that it took them weeks to release that.

Development for Open Tournament is going to be dang slow. There is no way to sugar coat it. They don't have a full time development team. The other problem with it is simply that the UT community is way too schizophrenic to come up with a well balanced game with good gameplay. Been there, done that.