Weapon Specializations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
So I have been practicing with the Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, and the Minigun on bots and I have become pretty proficient in all three. (especially the Flak)

Here's my question though. I have heard over and over again about how the Shock Rifle is a very powerful weapon in the hands of a master. Should I, also, practice with the Shock or should I follow that old saying, stick with what you know?

Last edited:

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
It's just frustrating to get incredibly good with shock, and then have to deal with other weapons. Shock can be one of the most technically interesting and skilled weapons you can use, because it's so psychological. You'll get into duels and be dodging around; you'll fire secondaries to make people subconsciously move away from them for fear of a combo, only to fall into your trap; you'll try to get a primary off to wear them down; you'll set up moving combos and get incredible shots that surprise and delight; and you'll fluidly move and get people right where you want them. It's also versatile for long-range shooting with good aim; I would always enjoy picking off snipers across the map on Face while flagging.

It can get so fun to develop skill in shock that you will get annoyed when other people don't use it. I often wish very much that there were still a good 1v1 shock mutator server out there. Nothing compares to shock on shock in the hands of two masters. Most other weapons are straight-shooting, like sniper, but shock rifle gets into high-level skill, manipulation, reading the enemy...it's truly a duel of wills and skills.

So, develop it for the sheer fun, yeah. But be prepared for the annoyance when you want to engage someone with shock, but they simply pull out sniper and get a headshot. If only they knew how fun it could be...

(And be prepared to be sad that shock is so nerfed in UT2K4 and UT3...)

If you want some real fun, pop into DoG Assault and play AS-HiSpeed, and get into some good shock duels on the roof of the train. It's fun to set up absolute domination on top when you're playing defense, and the narrow train roofs mean that any combo in the middle can be fatal.

Last edited:

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
I like all UT weapons!
But what was really cool was my special c haracter.
I was a skaarij and had a very special playstyle.
After checking out the distance to your spawn point I waited listening.
Now if someone spawned he or she got immediately punished by SOULCAGE.
Great isnt it?

ralck

Nov 5, 2009
if you want to be good at just one weapon, make it the sniper. there's a reason an aimbotter using sniper is almost unstoppable, and that's because it's so powerful regardless of range. however, there is a limit to how good a human can aim, and that's where prediction combos and rockets come in, at least for me.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The only weapon in Unreal which feels satisfying to master is the RazorJack from Unreal 1. Learn the secondary fire perfectly and you're a "Single Player" player god. That's how I easily completed Project Zephon .
I think that's the only case in the entire Unreal series - which pretty much forces people to be good with all the weapons due to them being almost all balanced.

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Even if you are good with the Rocket launcher and Flak Cannon, you should master the Shock Rifle. For the simplest reason that it's a good (nearly) instant hit that's perfect for long range combat. The projectile based weapons can easly be dodged by the time the rockets/flak gets to the opponent.

And the combo is great for blasting people around corners... :D

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Im only good with weapons like the shock rifle and sniper rifle. Im a poor shot, and it only gets worst the closer they get. I couldn't use the rocket launcher or flak cannon if my life counted on it. Maybe get away with firing 6 alt fire rockets in a tight place, but, who wouldn't?