BUF events thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

offramp

bOfframp=True
Apr 28, 2006
Cologne
Annoyed by event threads? Did somebody say that? I mean there are a bunch of threads that might annoy people but some about playing a game that is one of the reasons we are on this forum to begin with? I don't think we should take a break for this reason instead someone (and i mean someone whose opinion counts) really gives us a good reason to do that.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
If we had more people, I'd say CTF4. :p

How about something a bit more cerebral: Siege. Depending on how smart players are, matches could go for awhile. :p

There's also supposedly an updated version of it (by someone else) but I have no experience with that version.

EDIT: This shows a few scant moments of gameplay... kinda. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4JNAoq0Mcw

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Since I can't find any other real videos of it (and all google searches are pointing to the UT2004 version) I've decided to copy and paste the readme, so you can all figure out how the game works.

The Readme said:
SIEGE (UT-MP-only-Mod)

The Constructor (a class 10 weapon) is used to build, repair and upgrade. The different modes are switched by using the alternatefire of the constructor. The modes are used by pressing the primaryfire-button. Beneath the name of some of the modes (displayed in the right-bottom corner of the HUD) are two numbers: The left one is the cost of RU (ResourceUnits; Amount displayed in the bottom-left corner of the HUD) and the right one is the time in seconds the building needs until it is build complete. To get RUs you must either kill enemies (the most effective way and gives 50 RUs a kill) or you have to wait until the RUs are recharged. You start with 150RUs and in the beginning there are small, white balls spread all over the map. Collect them to get 15 RUs for each one. Every player has his own account of RUs, but theres a limit of maximum RUs you can hold at one time. This limit is set to 300 RUs in the beginning.
Now to the specific modes and buildings:

Upgrade (mode):
Every building has a level (starting with 0 and ending 5) wich is displayed whenever you look at a building. The level shows the effectiveness of a building and can be upgraded by you. To upgrade a building you must have some RUs and you must stand in front of the building facing its center (you can see it if you see its infos displayed). Raising a buildings level from 0 to 1 costs only 50RUs. The next upgrade costs 100RUs and the last one (from 4 to 5) costs 250RUs . (less RU would raise the level, too, but you wont see this). Upgrading buildings is very important and you shouldn't forget this! If you use the upgrade-mode on a teammate you can give him 50RUs each click. This is important for teamplay, too.

Repair (mode):
You can repair/heal teammates and buildings (exept of the BaseCore.. :p). You can heal teammates up to 150 HPs, so do it before entering the fight! Buildings are repaired until they are fixed. 30HPs for 12RUs.

BaseCore (building):
The BaseCore cannot be build but both teams have one in their base. To win the match, destroy the hostile BaseCore. The amount of HPs depends on the 'max TeamScore' you have set before starting the match (1000HPs each point). Upgrading the BaseCore will raise the RU-rechargingrate (if the hostile team is fighting better, a high RU-rechargingrate could help a bit).

Protector (building; 150RU buildcost; 30seconds buildtime; 1000HP):
This building shoots at enemies and hostile buildings. It fires fast moving projectiles which do 15HPs damage and pass every friendly building and player. The Protector will attack every target in its range, beginning with the nearest and will destroy every hostile building but wont kill enemies. When the targeted enemy's health reaches 1HP the protector will search a new target (If you leave a protector alone, it wont be able to protect itself because 1HP-Players still can attack...). Upgrading the Protector gives it a higher rate of fire, a longer range and (with level 2) better targetting.

Supplier (building; 300RU buildcost; 45seconds buildtime; 1500HP):
This building gives ammunition and armor to you and your teammates. You are starting with the Constructor, a ImpactHammer and the Enforcer with only 15 shots. To use the Supplier you have to stand in its center and wait until you have as much ammo or armor as you need. The Supplier can used by only one player at one time but it is possible to be supplied by multiple Suppliers (So concentrating them is not senseless). Suppliers are expensive and important (imagine yourself defending your base with a ImpactHammer against FlakCannons and Sniperrifles...). The fast construction of a Supplier or the destruction of the hostile Suppliers can give you a big boost towards victory. Never leave your Supplier unprotected! Upgrading the Supplier will make the Supplier faster, give it ammo for more weapons and raise the maximum amount of armor. To get the precious Sniperrifle, the Supplier must be on level 5...

Container (building; 50RU buildcost; 30seconds buildtime; 2000HP):
These buildings are important support for your other buildings. Containers are repairing nearby buildings and raise the maximum amount of RUs you can hold by 50. Exept of that, the Containers can be used for walling (this means that they do not only block projectiles like the other buildings but block players, too). Primarly Containers should be used as a frontline near your buildings to block hostile fire and to reduce its effect. If you upgrade a Container, its health and its regenerating effect will be increased. Dont underestimate the demoralizing effect of a nearly impenetrable wall eating all your fire (a big bunch of level 5 Containers IS invulnerable).

Remove (mode):
If you have set a building you didnt want to build, or if you have build a Container which blocks you the way, remove it and get the half of the resources back (sometimes it is more profitable to remove heavily damaged buildings than repairing them). Be careful when selecting the Constructor-mode and dont remove important buildings...

Warhead (building; 999RU buildcost; 90seconds buildtime; 200HP):
This baby is expensive, needs a long time for building and is destroyed easily. If you start building it, the other team will be warned, so expect a rushing horde of enemies without any tolerance for your Warhead. Nevertheless the Warhead is worth the effort: If you achive to get it built, run into it and get ONE shot for your NukeLauncher (well, actually its a Redeemer). If you fire the Nuke, the other team will be warned a second time and the carrier of a Nuke will be visible because of a bright flare at him and so the hostile team wont be very surprised (but full of panic). The final reward will be a nice, huge explosion and about 3000HPs of damage.

Have fun...

It really changes how you play the game, and demands a bit of thinking with your head. It's fun. :)

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Ok, I have a minor request. Chances are I won't be available during the 1st weekend of august. So I request we launch this event a bit later ;)

PS Never played siege but it sounds pretty fun ;)

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
i am not sure dark pulse.some of our resident players (glider,offramp) seem to be away atm.wouldnt it be better to skip august ?

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
yes glider.i am happy how the events went till now anyway.it is not easy here to get the attention of dozens of players i think.but a few more would really be much more nice.i try to work on this.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
UT is drastically dying every week. I see less and less players every time I check and the servers go down as well. We are in summer and its supposed to have more players than the winter time but last winter UT had more than 3 times the players that I see now. Just imagine the number of players by this coming winter and then next summer. It would be a miracle if there are about 500 from all servers since last weekend the highest I saw was 437 players over all.

Anyways, what I'm down for is MonsterHunt again since last time there were too many complications with the textures and not enough maps. It is packed of maps and the texture problem should be fixed now... oh, and running those cow, nali, skaarj, BP4 models too.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
well spoken WM.bout mh: gotta wait for this.cant do the same gametype again.
maybe we play this at UT's anniversary this year ;)

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
we urgently need more players or our events will die like UT1 does :(
we cant get 8-10 players for a good match.though we are on the biggest ut fansite here :eek:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I'm down for some MH, it's been a while since I played it online.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
what do you guys think about some coop game ? it is like monsterhunt but with more features.deluxe so to say.there is a nice new sp mappack called "zephon".it looks very nice and has even new monsters.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Coop seems nice... and it doesn't need that many people to be fun =)

And may be later we may something else... my buddies will get back from vacation and may be I'll be able to get few more guys to join us... the only problem is that most of my potential players are really low on skill. They're even worth than I am with few exceptions %)