Applying an animated water shimmer to a projector that fades out over distance on the

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
A lot of these levels use projectors to create water shadows on the walls in places where indoor pools are. This looks great with the new materials however I’m having a problem with the texture displaying full straingth accross the face of a surface rather then fading out over distance like a real water shimmer would. Basically I’m trying to create a roll-off where the shader texture fades out on the edges of the projectore's FOV. I'm hoping that maybe some how this could be set using an Alpha texture: Has anyone found a way to apply an Alpha texture to either a shader or combiner to make this work?

Keep in mind that this water shadow or shimmer if you will is animated.

So far it seems the best thing you can do to get a real looking water shimmer on walls is to use
-bClipBSP=True
-bGradient=True
And lower the (MaxTraceDistence) which is basically what fades the texture out by pulling the projector actor further away from the walls. So there for this roll-off is not diminished down the hall like is really should.

Attachments

• proj_roll.jpg
    proj_roll.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 75
  • alphatex_example.jpg
    alphatex_example.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Hey Starstreams!!

You found the runtime forum, good! Great to see you again.

As I mentioned on the phone, I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone here will.

Give him a hand guys. Mike/Starstreams is a super great guy!

PEACE!

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Hay Thanks Spooge!
It’s good to see a mature group of developers still out there, I know that sounds rude coming from me but you know where I’m coming from. :D

There’s a few things I’m gong to try still, if I do find a way to make this work you can be sure I’ll let everyone know..lol

By the way, I kind of wonder if it’s possible for Epic to some how put the old light effects into the new editor as the Boolean fields are still there? Or is it just a matter of not being possible due to the characteristics of the new engine?

Last edited:

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
By the way, in addition to removing the effects properties, there use to be a setting called bFade in the projector properties. This was in UT2003 by the way, but it seems with 2004 they even removed that. Why?
Anyway, what it did was it faded the texture edges starting from the out side in. Has this been moved because I can’t seem to find it? or maybe its gone now?