importing textures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Co11

Feb 5, 2004
I cannot import textures in the runtime version of unrealEd... Is there a way to import them using a .uc file? or what's the deal?

I'm going into the texture browser, then click file -> import and then select the file and then ok... and from there I type in my package, the group I want it in and the file name and nothing... it just resets back to the texture browser and nothing gets imported...

rodrigoelp

Feb 1, 2004
Are you working if the format that udn specify?

lets try this. create a bmp file of 256x256 and try import it into the engine.. if you are trying to import any jpeg | gif... the engine will not load the texture ;)

here, http://udn.epicgames.com/Content/TextureSpecifications this is the link of the texture specifications, any problem post here, i am reading the forums almost everyday :D Cya.

Co11

Feb 5, 2004
I fixed the problem by using the ut2k3 version of unrealEd... works like a charm

this runtime version is really buggy

Spooger

Dec 16, 2003
I know this post is s bit old but...

I'm guessing he was using a 24bit TGA and not a 32bit? So far as I have seen the editor is no more or less buggy han the UT2K3 editor.

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
I disagree with Co11. I've found the runtime editor to be as good as ut2k3's (only without all the resources ut2k3 has got).

Try this, take one of he existing texture files i.e. EM_Runtime_T.utx Rename it to mytextures_t.utx (remember to use the _t so that the engine doesn't get confused if you have a static mesh package with a similkar name). Open the editor and load mytextures_t.utx (obviously, you'll see the same textures the runtime package has got). Delete all of the textures but one. If you erase them all the editor immediately jumps to the next texture package. Once your texture file is clean (with only one texture in it) go to file --> import and search for the folder where you got your texture maps. Remember they have to be in bmp format and dividable by 2. As spooger said, a 256x256 pixel bmp would be great to try it out. Import all your textures, any texture that doesn't meet the engine's requirements will be rejected. Once the importing process has finished, save your utx file. It will warn you about overwriting your existing mytextures_t.utx file. Hit yes. Once you have saved it you may erase the texture you left (the only one) from the runtime texture package.

I create my texture packages this way and never had a probblem neither in ut2k3 nor in Ueruntime.
hope it helps

Last edited:

Co11

Feb 5, 2004
afecelis said:
I disagree with Co11. I've found the runtime editor to be as good as ut2k3's (only without all the resources ut2k3 has got).

Try this, take one of he existing texture files i.e. EM_Runtime_T.utx Rename it to mytextures_t.utx (remember to use the _t so that the engine doesn't get confused if you have a static mesh package with a similkar name). Open the editor and load mytextures_t.utx (obviously, you'll see the same textures the runtime package has got). Delete all of the textures but one. If you erase them all the editor immediately jumps to the next texture package. Once your texture file is clean (with only one texture in it) go to file --> import and search for the folder where you got your texture maps. Remember they have to be in bmp format and dividable by 2. As spooger said, a 256x256 pixel bmp would be great to try it out. Import all your textures, any texture that doesn't meet the engine's requirements will be rejected. Once the importing process has finished, save your utx file. It will warn you about overwriting your existing mytextures_t.utx file. Hit yes. Once you have saved it you may erase the texture you left (the only one) from the runtime texture package.

I create my texture packages this way and never had a probblem neither in ut2k3 nor in Ueruntime.
hope it helps

I've been creating all of my packages in ut2k3 with no problem.. but can't do the same in the stinkin' runtime... until recently... I tried it again a few days ago (after installing Unreal II) and it works great now... so I don't have a problem with it anymore... it was really weird, it just didn't do anything... it wouldn't import sounds either (which is a problem others have had)... but I'm not the sound engineer, so I could care less...