2010: The Year of The Corporations?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Amber, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Without the plastic surgery industry, the bubonic plague wouldn't even exist :con:

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
"Free-market fundamentalism - just as dangerous as the religious fundamentalisms of our day - trivializes the concern for public interest. The overwhelming power and influence of plutocrats and oligarchs in the economy put fear and insecurity in the hearts of anxiety-ridden workers and render money-driven, poll-obsessed elected officials deferential to corporate goals of profit, often at the cost of the common good."

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
And just to be honest, both sides are responsible for this reprehensible behavior. It may sound heady but Revolution is necessary. Anyone that thinks they can just "vote" this away is sadly mistaken (part in fact that the banks still buy both parties and the Tea Party isn't Grass Roots). Wall Streets hold on the current situation is quite sad. Free market? More like Prison Market.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I do not think this is the year of the Corporations at all. I think 2010 will be remembered as the beginning of the Corporate Era. The US Supreme court decision this year now permits any corporation to give unlimited funds for any political purpose. If they do not give directly to a candidate, they do not even have to report it. They can now do this in secret with no reporting requirement.

Corporations are about power and making money. Politics is also about power and money. Politicians need money to get elected. Corporations are the real power in the US now that they can spend unlimited money on any type of political ad they want. Corporations do not even have to admit they are funding the political speech. These Political ads on TV do not have to be factual or truthful. Even foreign governments or foreign economic interests can fund US political ads in total secret. There are no laws or regulations that require anything as long as they do not give directly to the candidate.

These ads can say anything about anything, no truth required, no facts needed, just talking points or propaganda. Obviously the first targets are many of the things in the republican and tea party agenda. Since most folks are not very well informed and maybe not so educated, they could be more easily manipulated by propaganda. You can see this already with many of the ads. It's only a matter of time until the complete agenda becomes law. This will bring us back to where we were in the late 19th and very early 20th century.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Don't like free speech eh? Burn books much? Unions have all of the same benefits too, in case you didn't know...

Corporations do not even have to admit they are funding the political speech.
wrong

Even foreign governments or foreign economic interests can fund US political ads in total secret.
wrong again. The laws, that forbid it, haven't been changed or affected by the SC ruling

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Neddaf, free markets can't be to blame. Why? Because they don't exist anywhere in the world.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
"Real" free markets would be anarchy and all that implies. Just ask Somalia and Haiti.

You can't call a market free by any standards that can't sell regular light bulbs by 2012 because the government wants to say OH NO! Just a random example.

And connecting truly free markets and anarchy? :lol: Yeah guys 2010 year of the corporations. :lol: Keep telling yourself that.

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
You can't call a market free by any standards that can't sell regular light bulbs by 2012 because the government wants to say OH NO! Just a random example.

And connecting truly free markets and anarchy? :lol: Yeah guys 2010 year of the corporations. :lol: Keep telling yourself that.

Not anarchy in the social/political sense, anarchy in a business sense. No rules, no regulations, dog eat dog. A world where Bernie Madoff and his ilk would be kings.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Not anarchy in the social/political sense, anarchy in a business sense. No rules, no regulations, dog eat dog. A world where Bernie Madoff and his ilk would be kings.

So? There is nothing wrong with that. Bernie Madoff is no different than the government, btw.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Corrupt businessmen are way worse than corrupt politicians. Corrupt business will sell products that you buy and they gain their power from that. Politicians will take the money you earn away and they gain their power from that. I'd much rather have it taken than given.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Corrupt businessmen are way worse than corrupt politicians. Corrupt business will sell products that you buy and they gain their power from that. Politicians will take the money you earn away and they gain their power from that. I'd much rather have it taken than given.
I honestly don't know how you can say that. Our current congress makes ppl like Madoff look like pikers. I don't know of any businessman that has stolen trillions of dollars from the entire country and its next few generations. At least you have to voluntarily give your money to businessmen every time.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006

Politicians can control every aspect of your life and strip everything that makes you free. Businessmen can't do that. Politicians will do what they wish claiming its in your best interest. Businessmen need your input to say what is in your best interest. They might try to control your input but they still need you to have the final say. The only problem with this and businessmen is the customers irresponsibleness will give them the wrong signals. That is only one problem with politicians.

Last edited: