2010: The Year of The Corporations?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
So if I run a business and all of a sudden a new flock of regulations comes along that I can't afford to comply with I should what, Close my doors? Seem pretty reasonable. :rolleyes:

If you run a buisness next to a town, that could potentially wipe out that whole town and anyone living in it if anything went wrong, and you cannot garuentee the safety of thease people.. then yeah, i woulden't lose any sleep if you went out of buisness, i like beeing alive, i like owning a car and a home, and i don't think any buisness has the right to take all thouse things away from me because they had an ooopsie they didn't bother to prevent, because that would have cost them some money.

The people living next to you have rights too, they have lives and propperty that they have worked hard for, there are also other buisnesses in a town, even if it's just a local conveniance store, they also have rights to run their buisness, so if you're going to store huge quanteties of dangerous materials, be they toxic, explosive, highly flammable, deadly virii, radioactive, caustic or anything else that could likely kill off your neighbours or destroy all their propperty, then you damn well better have that s**t under control, or get the hell out of Dodge.

And lets not forget the taxpayer, because every time a company has an ooopsie like this one, the taxpayer ends up paying out of their arse to fix it.
Now how's that fair? Well it isen't, but that's the reality of it, so whenever a company causes one of thease disasters, they aren't just hurting their local community, they are also bleeding the wallets of the whole damned country, yours and mine, even though we had nothing to do with it.
You really think we shoulden't object to that? that we shoulden't demand some safeguards against that happening? that we shoulden't want regulations that not only protects life, limb and propperty of a local community, but a chunk of the nations economy and our taxmoney?

There may very well be problems with some of thease regulations, that warrants fixing and a tuneup, and i would wholly support any measure to make them more cost effective and usefull, but someone's gotta look out for the little guy, and for all of us, so there is no way in hell i would want to see them removed.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
If you run a buisness next to a town, that could potentially wipe out that whole town and anyone living in it if anything went wrong, and you cannot garuentee the safety of thease people.. then yeah, i woulden't lose any sleep if you went out of buisness, i like beeing alive, i like owning a car and a home, and i don't think any buisness has the right to take all thouse things away from me because they had an ooopsie they didn't bother to prevent, because that would have cost them some money.

The people living next to you have rights too, they have lives and propperty that they have worked hard for, there are also other buisnesses in a town, even if it's just a local conveniance store, they also have rights to run their buisness, so if you're going to store huge quanteties of dangerous materials, be they toxic, explosive, highly flammable, deadly virii, radioactive, caustic or anything else that could likely kill off your neighbours or destroy all their propperty, then you damn well better have that s**t under control, or get the hell out of Dodge.

And lets not forget the taxpayer, because every time a company has an ooopsie like this one, the taxpayer ends up paying out of their arse to fix it.
Now how's that fair? Well it isen't, but that's the reality of it, so whenever a company causes one of thease disasters, they aren't just hurting their local community, they are also bleeding the wallets of the whole damned country, yours and mine, even though we had nothing to do with it.
You really think we shoulden't object to that? that we shoulden't demand some safeguards against that happening? that we shoulden't want regulations that not only protects life, limb and propperty of a local community, but a chunk of the nations economy and our taxmoney?

There may very well be problems with some of thease regulations, that warrants fixing and a tuneup, and i would wholly support any measure to make them more cost effective and usefull, but someone's gotta look out for the little guy, and for all of us, so there is no way in hell i would want to see them removed.

I wouldn't argue with him. What he said backs up my original point about these kind of people; "The bottom line comes first. If we ain't makin' money wtf would we give a ****ing **** about human life or safety for that matter before then."

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ehhh.... it's really intellectually dishonest to assume the quoted part of Larkin's post implied that he didn't want any regulation at all. The fact of the matter is that sometimes new regulations come that companies cannot afford to immediately comply with. Often these companies provide services that the same people you're playing a bleeding heart violin for would refuse to do without given the option. Should those companies shut down permanently because they cannot comply immediately, or should they stay open out of compliance until they raise the capital to comply?

In the case of both this issue, as well as the Deepwater Horizon, government regulators did inspections and found the companies in compliance. It's pretty stupid to blame a company for not complying with safety regulations when they clearly were. Could they have taken extra precautions? Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that they were complying with regulation.

As many other have said there is not really enough information in this case to know if the company is to blame or if it was a bad run of luck. You know, problems DO happen regardless of our best efforts. You can't prevent every problem like this from happening unless you simply shut down every potentially unsafe industry in the world.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Ehhh.... it's really intellectually dishonest to assume the quoted part of Larkin's post implied that he didn't want any regulation at all.

Have you been sleeping all this time? you've never read a Larkin post before? it is by no means an unreasonable assumption, not given past arguments against any and all regulations that he has put forth many times before.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
2011 is the year of the neo_________.

KHAAAANS!

large_khaaan.jpg

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
"2010: The Year of The Corporations?"

100% Bull ****.
Try 18th to the 19th century.

"The greatest killer in the cities was tuberculosis. By the late 19th century, 70 to 90% of the urban populations of Europe and North America were infected with M. tuberculosis, and about 40% of working-class deaths in cities were from TB."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution

Tuberculosis has nothing to do with industry. Its not caused or was caused by industry. Tuberculosis has been with humans for thousands of years.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Have you been sleeping all this time? you've never read a Larkin post before? it is by no means an unreasonable assumption, not given past arguments against any and all regulations that he has put forth many times before.
Maybe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

Not maybe, sadly he has edited his above post, but before he did, it stated that he was against any and all government regulations (selfimposed private ones he may not be so against, he just hates everything government related, apparently).

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Tuberculosis has nothing to do with industry. Its not caused or was caused by industry. Tuberculosis has been with humans for thousands of years.

Wow! I thought the public school I went to was bad. I bet it had nothing to do with poor ventilation in meat plants. You need to start reading books. You are almost as terrible a poster as you are a father.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Wow! I thought the public school I went to was bad. I bet it had nothing to do with poor ventilation in meat plants. You need to start reading books. You are almost as terrible a poster as you are a father.
I think what Larkin was getting at was that the tuberculosis outbreaks did not occur due to tuberculosis being a manmade disease. Yes, poor ventilation made conditions ripe for any airborne disease or virus to spread throughout the workforce in rapid fashion, but it would not necessarily have mattered how good the ventilation was if it did not have a good filtration system. Do you honestly believe that the types of filtration systems required to greatly reduce the chance of an outbreak existed in the 1800s when even the environmental systems of today cannot shield employees from the common cold in state of the art office buildings?

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Not maybe, sadly he has edited his above post, but before he did, it stated that he was against any and all government regulations (selfimposed private ones he may not be so against, he just hates everything government related, apparently).

That is not what I said. He was online when I posted it so I'm a bit lost why you are making stuff up.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more

It spread because of the industry.
Before people lived apart.
With the Industrial Revolution. Lots of people moved together, and worked together.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Evil corporations just want to kill people. :rolleyes:

Just thought this might be semi-appropriate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTLDel-G9k

Good old fascism at work.

Did you see their response to the outrage? They didn't say it was satire, no, they said, sorry if you were offended. Not even trying to hide behind anything. They are just running out in the streets and screaming that all so called deniers and non helpers should be killed off and if you are offended by it, yeah sorry, but whatever. Yeah, that is an appropriate apology.

This isn't even new behavior from these kind of people. Over the years these people have resorted more and more to intimidation, persecution and vilification of skeptics who do not agree with the never ending doomsday scenarios. Now it looks like some of them are actually thinking killing people off that don't agree is acceptable or at least willing to throw the idea out there willingly and pretty much unapologetically.

The best though was from Greenpeace basically saying that its only being talked about because of corporations. Yeah, its because of corporations, it couldn't be because of well...the obvious, no, its the evil corporations. Sure, that is why its being talked about. :facepalm:

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Nothing the enviro-nazis do surprises me anymore.

oh, and btw:

Panel: Gov't blocked scientists on spill estimate

The Obama administration blocked efforts by government scientists to tell the public just how bad the Gulf oil spill could become and committed other missteps that raised questions about its competence and candor during the crisis, according to a commission appointed by the president to investigate the disaster.