Where have all the balls gone in music?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
So, where have they gone? I mean there's all these bands like Yellowcard and the Killers and all kinds of soft-voiced, simple, boring limp-dicked ***** bands. I mean mellow bands are a good thing but they dominate the radio and I'm tired of it. And they're so common and unoriginal now that it baffles me every time I hear a different band come out with basically the same hit single that dominated the air a month ago. Stupid peers.

My main concern: Where is all the aggression??? Even "metal" has turned soft. Maturity is nice in music, but I also like raw, unadulterated energy. But see, even the young bands don't have any energy. The singers sound like little whiny bitches! Where's the anger? Fück all this "emotion"; someone just tear **** apart and be pissed off and negative.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Reply to a summary that wasn't written: I don't want death metal. Korn and SoaD are your only examples of "pissed off" rockers.

Still, music nowadays is not nearly as interesting to me as music from 15+ years ago. I still buy the occassional album, but nothing keeps my attention like Metallica, the Beach Boys...

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Def Tones, SoaD, Slipknot... that's all the stuff I like anymore, aside from some local stuff.
(and the classic rock, like Floyd, Zepp, Hendrix, and the like)

Actually, my main listening is an internet radio station called Limbik Frequencies, which is far far from anything "rock".
It's more like a brain massage.
________
condominiums for sale in Pattaya

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
^ He's right. Nothing on the radio is going to have aggression because the general public does not want to hear such things on their drives to work and whatnot. There is no metal on the radio. There is only soft rock and softer rock. ;)

If you really want aggression, I can show you aggression. Odds are you don't, really; you're just tired of the p*ssy emo crap on the radio. Regardless, if you want to hear a young angry band that tears sh*t up... here's about the angriest, tear-sh*t-uppiest band I know of: Ion Dissonance. Be warned: they are f**king insane. Basically, the aggression is out there, you just have to look in the right places, and the radio and any form of MTV are definitely not the places to look.

If you're looking for straight-up metal and not insanity, try Trivium out for size. They are pretty new to the scene and anything but emo.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
When it comes to aggression and balls I know my music, but only if it happened before the new millenium. I know tons of **** about music in general, in fact I have just been super pissed because I cannot find any present-day band who knows how to tear **** up without being gimmicky. I already know the radio sucks but it's not fair. Motorhead got airplay back in the 80s, metallica did, and there are tons of aggressive bands that I can name that got airplay. Just sad that you never hear that kind of stuff on the radio anymore. I mean even Nirvana had that raw energy. Now there's NOTHING though.

T2A I will check this Ion Dissonance out

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
I see and agree with your point, although Its not as though all the new stuff is crap.

For example If you're a big fan of Pantera I would recommend giving 'Black Label Society' a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
That's a hard thing to do right. Industrial is at times only a label for shock value than anything else. Browse through some pod/shout/icecast stations for anything that piques your interest.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Dont blame the bands, blame current musical trends. These days all i see are punk/hardcore bands forming and singing the same old **** with the same old sound, and people eat that **** up like a fat kid to cake because thats all that's been on the radio for about 7 months, they ****ing LOVE IT. Thus new forming bands who want to be popular take that route, there arent enough people outside the punk scene who are interested in forming bands because of the lack of popularity behind other styles of music.

Last edited:

Fuct

Who is Adam King?
Jul 8, 2000
The Diamond Sea
Peavey said:
So, where have they gone? I mean there's all these bands like Yellowcard and the Killers and all kinds of soft-voiced, simple, boring limp-dicked ***** bands. I mean mellow bands are a good thing but they dominate the radio and I'm tired of it. And they're so common and unoriginal now that it baffles me every time I hear a different band come out with basically the same hit single that dominated the air a month ago. Stupid peers.

My main concern: Where is all the aggression??? Even "metal" has turned soft. Maturity is nice in music, but I also like raw, unadulterated energy. But see, even the young bands don't have any energy. The singers sound like little whiny bitches! Where's the anger? Fück all this "emotion"; someone just tear **** apart and be pissed off and negative.

Stop watching MTV then.

Lewis

May 1, 2003
I do think it is a general trend over the past few years with the softness of Metal. Bands like In Flames and Nightwish did it. If you want some hefty metal, i can always suggest a few bands from the Hardcore and Metalcore scenes:

Scars Of Tomorrow <--- Hellishly good Metalcore from Orange County. Fave band atm
August Burns Red
I Killed The Prom Queen
A Love Ends Suicide
Haste The Day

And theres loads more :)

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Peavey said:

now thats a serious motorhead fan talking I agree with you the killers are so full of sh*t
a solution is sticking to the old stuff or cap'nbeebs 3rd point

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Ah, the old "old music is better that new music" chestnut...

As someone who grew up with punk (the real one, not the watered down ****e people call punk nowadays) I can see where you're coming from.

What Beeb said is right, there is never ever good music on the radio ever (well not since the brilliant John Peel passed away R.I.P), so forget about that.

Fact is, music moves in cycles....a movement comes a long, usually with a great band or so at the cutting edge of it, then record companies see the teenagers going crazy for it and start signing anyone who sounds vaguely similar. It's always happened and it always will.
For every great punk band, you had 10 that were rubbish. Then people got tired of it and most of the 80s were "soft" by comparison.
Even the Clash went soft, John Lydon fomed PIL, who had some great moments...but were soft by comparison with the Sex Pistols.
In England at least the 80's alternative music was dominated by bands like The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order etc etc. None of them really angry bands....even The Jesus And Mary Chain weren't particularly aggressive (although, Automatic is still a BRILLIANT album).

Then things swung again, and we got a new generation of bands in England who didn't give a ****, The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses. They didn't have the anger of punk, the music was totally different but the ethos was there....the "we really don't give a ****" attitude....and people really went for it because of that. Some great bands came out of America at the time, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jnr, The Pixies...and then of course Nirvana. Same thing, same attitude...people who'd grown up with punk and had that same attitude.
Of course when Nirvana went global, every bloke with a guitar and a pullover with holes in it in Seattle got a record deal...and there was truly a lot of crap coming out.

That's where I kind of sidestepped out of guitar music because while I loved a lot of those bands, there was the realisation that there wasn't anything new happening there. Electronic music seemed to me to be where all the innovation was coming from. If you look at some of the people behind mid 90s electronica in England and it was all the people who'd grown up loving punk. People like Andy Weatherall, David Holmes, the Orbital brothers etc.

For me, bands like The Chemical Brothers "Hey Boy Hey Girl" and "Galvanise" have the energy that reminds me of punk, much more than the so called punk bands I hear now. Most guitar music just sounds like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy etc...

...But then again, I am old. At some point we all get bored by listening to re-hashes of the same thing over and over again.

Bands like Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party (I guess the strongest alternative movement in England nowadays) are all well and good...but I can hear where every note came from. It's like "Thats sounds like The Stranglers and that sounds like The Fall and that riff was taken from The Clash and that drum is Bauhaus" etc etc.

You know what you have to do don't you Peavey?

Get your guitar, get your mates, get out and change it.;)
The music scene is crying out for something new.

Last edited:

Mxtrmntr

(Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)
Nov 3, 2001
The Island of the Day Before
Visit site
Israphel said:
Ah, the old "old music is better that new music" chestnut...

As someone who grew up with punk (the real one, not the watered down ****e people call punk nowadays) I can see where you're coming from.

What Beeb said is right, there is never ever good music on the radio ever (well not since the brilliant John Peel passed away R.I.P), so forget about that.

Fact is, music moves in cycles....a movement comes a long, usually with a great band or so at the cutting edge of it, then record companies see the teenagers going crazy for it and start signing anyone who sounds vaguely similar. It's always happened and it always will.
For every great punk band, you had 10 that were rubbish. Then people got tired of it and most of the 80s were "soft" by comparison.
Even the Clash went soft, John Lydon fomed PIL, who had some great moments...but were soft by comparison with the Sex Pistols.
In England at least the 80's alternative music was dominated by bands like The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order etc etc. None of them really angry bands....even The Jesus And Mary Chain weren't particularly aggressive (although, Automatic is still a BRILLIANT album).

Then things swung again, and we got a new generation of bands in England who didn't give a ****, The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses. They didn't have the anger of punk, the music was totally different but the ethos was there....the "we really don't give a ****" attitude....and people really went for it because of that. Some great bands came out of America at the time, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jnr, The Pixies...and then of course Nirvana. Same thing, same attitude...people who'd grown up with punk and had that same attitude.
Of course when Nirvana went global, every bloke with a guitar and a pullover with holes in it in Seattle got a record deal...and there was truly a lot of crap coming out.

That's where I kind of sidestepped out of guitar music because while I loved a lot of those bands, there was the realisation that there wasn't anything new happening there. Electronic music seemed to me to be where all the innovation was coming from. If you look at some of the people behind mid 90s electronica in England and it was all the people who'd grown up loving punk. People like Andy Weatherall, David Holmes, the Orbital brothers etc.

For me, bands like The Chemical Brothers "Hey Boy Hey Girl" and "Galvanise" have the energy that reminds me of punk, much more than the so called punk bands I hear now. Most guitar music just sounds like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy etc...

...But then again, I am old. At some point we all get bored by listening to re-hashes of the same thing over and over again.

Bands like Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party (I guess the strongest alternative movement in England nowadays) are all well and good...but I can hear where every note came from. It's like "Thats sounds like The Stranglers and that sounds like The Fall and that riff was taken from The Clash and that drum is Bauhaus" etc etc.

You know what you have to do don't you?

Get your guitar, get your mates, get out and change it.;)
The music scene is crying out for something new.

There's lots of great music out there, and lots of unusual guitar music -- it's just pretty hard to find, on tiny labels, often releasing CD-Rs on their own... oh, I could write a huge post on this and the problems of "alternative mainstream" and whatever but I'd feel bad for neglecting my work for uni. Maybe later :hmm: