UT3 DM-Devolve(Beta)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
DM-Devolve(Beta8 Download!)

Name: DM-Devolve
Version: 1.0 Beta8
Compatibility: UT3

Description: I am aiming for a small fast paced map with as little clutter as possible to keep a clean look. A style very similar to the good ol' 99 days. The gameplay is tailored around 1on1 or 2on2 and fits these player counts very well.

Devolve1
Devolve2
Devolve3
Devolve4

Download: DM-DevolveBeta8

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Seems pretty decent. Not sure there's enough to entice people to go into the middle of the map given that pretty much everything you need is along the upper outer ledges. Rockets, vest, shock, helmet, 50 health in vials, sniper, repeat. :p

Since there's only one way into the belt room, I think camping it (a la Sentinel) may be an issue. Not sure how hard it would be to hole yourself up in there vs. a real person.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Yes you are right about the sb room. I plan to change that to allow more than one entrance which should solve the problem.

I was even thinking about putting the sb where the flak is. That would kill the other bird too ;)

Thanks for the feedback T2A. It's given me something to think about.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well, the flak area's really tight and you can't see or shoot into it. When I first launched the map I expected the belt to be below the vest where those two health packs are. That puts it in a sort of Rankin position given that it (potentially) is a dead-end. Unlike Rankin, however, it's much easier to see and shoot down into that area from several locations, so I dunno how that'd work. Plus, that'd require moving the vest elsewhere since the would would be one second away from it. :p

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Well you definitely know how to give feedback! Thanks!

It's funny that you thought the sb would be where the health is as that is originally where it was positioned. I decided to move it down behind the ramp to facilitate another escape route. I don't like the idea of people camping it but in my testing so far it has been beneficial to keep moving and hunt down your enemy after he spawns. It's a small map so the benefits from quick kills seem to outweigh sitting in a certain position and waiting for kills to come to you.

Do you know of anyone that would be willing to host this on a server (EU) so i could test it out? I've played a few games against my flatmate and while he knows the basics, there is a big skill gap so it's hard to do any serious testing.

Updated the link in the first post with the new changes.

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I'm liking this map and I can appreciate the danger nature of the flak area ... however I am not a fan of the current location of the 100 armor ... its too easy to get that also get the helmet and then get the flak ... I would like to the helmet moved to that area ... the chest armor moved the flak area ... the flak gun moved to the armor helmet spot and the shield belt moved up to higher ground. Also some nice trim and a good soundtrack would make this a very well done small level suitable for about 4 players ... it seems to play perfectly with four players anymore and it would seem like a spam fest imo.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Well i have worse problems than that. UT editor won't open any more. :/

I have an updated version but i can't get in to build it. Check back soon.

Well in the end i had to reinstall UT. No idea what the problem was but nm, new link added to original post.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
One or more of the UTEditor*.ini config files probably got corrupted somehow. Reinstalling has never, ever been the true answer with UT games. It might fix things but that's just by chance that it replaced the file that was messing things up. In my experience, any UT-related problem can be fixed by messing with some files, usually by deleting them and letting the game recreate them with default values. :p

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Tnx Al.

If it happens again T2A i'll know what to do. =p

New pics added to the original post and a link to the map. I'm going to need some feedback on weapon layout i think.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You die. lol

Takes emphasis away from fragging. You now have to worry about falling in. IMO, the competitive community wont like that much. Not that I'm a part of the competitive community... but I just like a good 1on1 match, and the pit of death ruins it. Just my opinion, of course. :D

P.S. Maybe another version for those who love the map, but don't like falling to their death? :)

Thanks for the good work.

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Hmm well thats a good point. I could easily make two versions if people wanted two. Is there any competitive players here that have a view on this? What do people think of death pits?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
One version, please. Anything else is silly. :/

Death pits pretty much suck ass no matter who's playing. All that work for the belt and then a stray stinger shard knocks you into your doom... not cool. It's supposed to be risky, yes, but not suicide! Otherwise you'd be better off letting the other guy(s) go for it and ambushing them. And even then, since the pit's so big and in such a connected area, you're at risk of plummeting in from many different places.

This death pit especially sucks due to the fact that the flak cannon is down there and there's no natural way to reach it. Having the shield belt in that area is plenty risky on its own even with a floor because you can see into that area from so many other places.

The other new routes seemed nice, especially the one by the new rocket location. I didn't check the placement of much else because I was trying to get back and chat with someone. D:

Here's an idea for the belt area. Not saying it's the best but it might work out. Kinda like you had it originally but keeps the lift.

Attachments

• obama08.jpg
    obama08.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Ok thanks for the quick response. You have a very good point and i think it's already clear that the majority of people would prefer it out. So tomorrow i'll have a look at taking it back to it's original state (but keep the lift ;) ).

Don't worry about weapon placement until the floor is back in the correct position ;) I will be needing help with that one though! :eek:

Last edited: