UE2 - UT2kX This is how i add music in my maps on 2k3 or 2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Won't UT2k4 embed an ogg file into MyLevel?

I ask this because I don't know if UT2k4 maps will force people to download a custom music file but I do remember seeing custom ones in my cache. If it does force the music to be downloaded, this guy's suggestion just makes no sense. i'll be pissed if I was listening to a song I dislike and not be able to change it though. And of course, I would never play that map ever again.

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
If everyone on your server loves playing in a box with 8k Metallica blasting at full volume, great! :rockon:

If you want your level to be played more widely within the community, it's best to stick to the standards set by the retail game.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
OGGs are no packages and UE2 does not provide any way to import them into packages, thus there's no way to force them to be downloaded.
I wish UT99 was like that. Sometimes I end up downloading up to 7 music files of an average of 5MB each for a 10 minutes gameplay map that isnt any bigger than 1MB in size.

And whats wrong with just hitting the F11 Key and playing what you want to listen to anyway? Why embedd and force other people to listen to something "they" may not like or find offensive in some cases?
Do you even know what I'm asking and Why?
Read the whole thread and find out before asking the wrong person...

seditious

Jan 2, 2009
Got to weigh in... I think every known(by me) method for attaching music is crap for various reasons, there isn't one that really satisfies.

Epic's OGGs have to be shipped separately unless someone writes a mut that can yoink a random chunk of bits from the map package and dump it into Music\yoursong.ogg before the level loads (not likely). Also they come out in stereo which is great for music but bad for people who want their music coming out of a point in the map. BUT AT LEAST: the downloaded data is small, the quality is very good and the player decides how loud it is or if audible at all. Seamless loops are great too.

AmbientSounds are the devil. Restarts every time viewtarget changes, either no compression or no quality, no choice for ME your audience who thinks you ought not imagine yourself a UT DJ. BUT AT LEAST the player who likes it doesn't have to download anything separately and the mapper has a bit more control over the presentation. Also there's no moment of silence like in...

My own dirty hack (which calls PlaySound() repeatedly) suffers from one the same problem as AmbientSound, mainly it has no quality or horrible filesize. Also it sometimes gets overridden by having lots of sounds playing at once, like exploding barrels and the Cicada's alt-fire. Yeah they made that stuff sound real loud and the result is pretty much every unslotted sound gets kicked from the mixer, even with hardware sound on. Finally it has to call PlaySound() again right when the last one stopped, and this is altogether dependent on GameSpeed so it's sensitive and breaks on any mutator that changes GameSpeed during the game, and during lag spikes. BUT AT LEAST it doesn't restart when you jump into and out of vehicles, and I had the [deleted] decency to make the actor check an INI for whether someone wanted to hear it. Also it's completely within that one actor that can be dropped in a map and forgotten about.

XxxXMusicFix suffers from two of the same problems as AmbientSound, the size vs. quality again and also the lack of choice. Also like OGGs it requires more intervention and external packaging, the mutator itself. I found that touching a volume slider would make the sound system restart and the music wouldn't, so I could turn it off if I wanted, but that would have to happen once a level. Also it only plays once per level, so it's probably great for really quick DM rounds and really horrible for some of us who play well into overtime and others who like the way Epic's OGGs loop seamlessly... BUT AT LEAST it... well, this is my least favorite. At least some people believed in it.

Playing your own music, either with the internal player on F11 or in your favorite app, is always great until a forced AmbientSound makes you go over and pause it rather than lose every bit of your mind. And it's not as good as hearing footsteps. I sometimes play some hard stuff to get in the mood but nothing is as good as hearing footsteps. Thanks for reading.