UT3 Appreciation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
yeah, it's an amazing game, but it's not the ultimate UT package.

There are so many opportunities for DLC it makes me cry that they've left it to dry in the desert with the natives.

edit
needs more native mutators and UC2 influenced gametypes, as well as Bombing Run (god I loved that game)
And other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

I have a list somewhere...

Still, it might be the best game in my library. DM is godlike cream on my face. Warfare feels a bit clunky still, but I'm not sure there's much they can do about that.
Maybe I just don't have the taste for it.

Last edited:

TheBlueGnu

May 28, 2011
Warfare clunky? I thought it was great. The reason being I think the vehicles are for the most part great and the orbs. I'll never forget stalemates in 2004, great as onslaught was, with no tie breaker that kept the node captured for at least a few seconds.

I agree they could have done more, but maybe they ran out of time? All I'm certain is the collector's edition extras (particularly tutorials) was worth price of admission and combined it was wonderful.

I just miss the game modes and stuff from UT99 :(

I can't remember bombing run well, so I'll have to take your word for it. I think I liked it tho.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I liked this game a lot, the only things I didn't like was only two teams, no domination and no assault. What's there is awesome and better then what was before, it just needs some more content.

Well guess what, there is a mod for every single one of those. In fact, DOM and 4 teams are in a single mod.

About Warfare: You need a proper link setup to stop stalemates, not orbs. In my opinion, orbs are sort of a luck element, makes strategy a lot harder. But hey, it's the BR element in the game, so I'm fine with that.

Speaking of which, there is also a BR mod for UT3.

Speaking of which again, I really need to make a mod that would disable extent trace collision on those powernode chunks. Firing 3 RL rockets just to have a chunk drop on you and having yourself blown up three times is not fun.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
God damn this game is good. It's just UT99 in a better engine, and it doesn't get better than that. Like the last guy said, UT2K4 is obsolete.

Unfortunately, the user interface that surrounds it is garbage. (To really understand why UT3 failed, you would have needed to see the condition it was in upon its release back in November 2007.)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Wish The Corrupt were done properly and the Skaarj were in there, though.

Some awesome custom Skaarj and Robot model packs have been released, but with Fileworks not working it's quite a pain in the ass finding them right now.

JCD

Mar 11, 2008
Unfortunately, the user interface that surrounds it is garbage. (To really understand why UT3 failed, you would have needed to see the condition it was in upon its release back in November 2007.)

The UI is frustrating to me now, and I only play offline.

I hope Epic knows what they did wrong. They did nearly everything brilliantly but fumbled a couple things. Instead of Gears of War 2, they should have done an Unreal reboot with UT3 packaged as the multiplayer. If they had done that, they might now have two potent 360 franchises with UT3 as the console heavyweight instead of that pile of crap called COD. And that would probably pay off in more content for UT3, a more vibrant PC community and another UT game relatively soon.

It makes me sad to think Epic isn't coming back to UT anytime soon.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Unfortunately, the user interface that surrounds it is garbage.
The UI is frustrating to me now

This guy thought the same thing...

Seriously, anything you guys complained about might have already been made into a mod. No DOM? Released as a mod. No BR? Released as a mod. No Skaarj? Get EvilEngine's Skaarj pack. Bad UI? Get Mapmixer. Bloom and saturation burning your eyes? Get Blossom. Feel nostalgic for UT2004's Onslaught? Get Onslaught 2.0. Don't give me any of this "BUT IT SHOULDA BEEN LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE." Just download the mods and all will be well.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
This guy thought the same thing...

Seriously, anything you guys complained about might have already been made into a mod. No DOM? Released as a mod. No BR? Released as a mod. No Skaarj? Get EvilEngine's Skaarj pack. Bad UI? Get Mapmixer. Bloom and saturation burning your eyes? Get Blossom. Feel nostalgic for UT2004's Onslaught? Get Onslaught 2.0. Don't give me any of this "BUT IT SHOULDA BEEN LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE." Just download the mods and all will be well.

+1 this is I call it as an owned in their feis XD

I would add: You do not like ut3 at all? Well there is out UT goty or UT2004 and is complete

TheBlueGnu

May 28, 2011
"Well guess what, there is a mod for every single one of those. In fact, DOM and 4 teams are in a single mod."

Link please! I really like the fact there are mods, but I don't know what they're called or where they are.

"About Warfare: You need a proper link setup to stop stalemates, not orbs"

...yes and no. It depends on how many nodes there are in the map and how they are set up. It may not be possible to use link set up purely. Also, even if you have multiple paths, it still is no guarantee stop stalemates. I love orbs because I see where there's a deadlock and hopefully break it so the game keeps flowing. Also the node STAYS CAPTURED for a while. That's something I hate with no orbs. It's like yeah, I spent all this effort getting a node, then it dies in a second and it was all wasted.

Sure it's a bit random but then, nothing's stopping you for organizing who'll take the orb and who will protect them depending on available weapons and vehicles.

TheBlueGnu

May 28, 2011
"I shouldn't have to download over 9000 mods/patches to make a game playable"

It is playable, it's just not as fun without a few game modes. It is annoying having to get what feels like core game stuff from mods though.

"UT was so great you could play it just stand alone and still have a blast"

True that. Still, the community added stuff is what kept it alive. I thoroughly enjoyed model/skin/map hunting for all versions of UT, but especially UT99.

@GreatEmerald

Cheers, downloaded them.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
It is annoying having to get what feels like core game stuff from mods though.

True that. Still, the community added stuff is what kept it alive. I thoroughly enjoyed model/skin/map hunting for all versions of UT, but especially UT99.
First paragraph: Yep, that's what I was talking about.

Second Paragraph: Also, I agree. I've extended UT's life way past it's time with custom content. In fact, I've done that with both UT and UT2004.