Spider Mines [trap]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Just use spider mines yourself :p If you whine about spider mines being too powerful, why don't you whine about Redeemer being too powerful? :p

I think "frustrating" is the word you're looking for rather than "powerful".

I don't feel any satisfaction from killing with spidermines. I do with the deemer.
I feel frustrated dying from spidermines, but not so much with the deemer.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
How to take care off spider mines:

Run past the trap and try to get as many of them as possible running after you then run for the nearest lift and to lift jump.

Biorifle > Spiders. Spiders must follow you so shoot at the ground in front of you with primary fire an jump over the goo.

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
Just use spider mines yourself :p If you whine about spider mines being too powerful, why don't you whine about Redeemer being too powerful? :p

+1 spider mines don't kill you, when you're the one that places them....

i agree that people that lay mines down randomly do suck, but when they are used taticly they are a great weapon to hold weather you get satisfaction from killing with them or not.

sandstorm is common example, most people get the deployer and just lay it down right where it spawns in that tunnel through the bridge - but if you carry it into the enemy base and lay it on the path you plan on leaving with the flag, they work great for clearing the riff raff off your arse on your way out. - you may not get satisfaction from the multi-kill / killing spree the event generates for you; but you will from the solo flag caps it allows you to pull off.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
If all these spidermines and other <insert random so called "cool" stuff here> are so great... ...why is this game so empty on a free weekend?

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well, at least it's not a marriage trap... :nag:

Anyway, yeah, the hive should be destructible, but with fairly high HP. If that makes them too easy to neutralize, they could be given semi-invisibility. On a related note, it would be fun if the spiders killed in different ways, for example by injecting players with a poison, or setting them on fire. Also, when damaged, the hive could release poison gas or explode and spray shrapnel in all directions.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
If all these spidermines and other <insert random so called "cool" stuff here> are so great... ...why is this game so empty on a free weekend?

Because most FPS gamers are soldierfag wannabes who rather play srs gamez like CS:S or CoDX. :)

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Spidermines have lost there original purpose which was an anti vehicle weapon, they are more like anti personnel mines now. What i would more like to see is that they attack the player but not explode, more like what the death animation implies, only dealing lighter damage but are more of a threat in swarms. To fulfill there purpose as anti vehicles mines they should emp explode much like the alt on the hammer, but doing greater damage to vehicles then they do now. Somewhat shifting the usage to more of a vehicular combat weapon much like the avril.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Spidermines have lost there original purpose which was an anti vehicle weapon, they are more like anti personnel mines now. What i would more like to see is that they attack the player but not explode, more like what the death animation implies, only dealing lighter damage but are more of a threat in swarms. To fulfill there purpose as anti vehicles mines they should emp explode much like the alt on the hammer, but doing greater damage to vehicles then they do now. Somewhat shifting the usage to more of a vehicular combat weapon much like the avril.

Hmm, talking about different spider behaviours... I kinda liked how they are in Unreal II: they send you unconscious and deal small amounts of damage. There could be two spider types: EMP and normal ones, EMP slows down or shuts down vehicles + light damage, and normal spiders knock off players + light damage.
And the death animation is cool :D

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I didn't really consider spidermines an antivehicle weapon in 2k4. They were just as good at killing players.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
I really like spidermines and I think they're balanced the way they are.

It's just a fun addition to the game, and it gives a good element of strategy too. I've never seen them turning the tide of a battle, they're just a little annoyance. Tbh even putting 2 mines near the countdown node in a crowded server I've never got more than 3-4 kills - and kills don't matter in WAR. Were they less powerful, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to even take the Nightshade.

Would you rather find yourselves in front of a Nightshade that just dropped a spider mine or in front of a Nemesis/Goliath? WAR is supposed to be a strategy game.

Of course the addition of spidermines to DM is pure madness. Here I can agree that racking up frags (where the frags count) just by picking up an object it's really stupid.
But hey, for me even the shield belt makes the match too dependant on item-whoring.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
They can turn the tides when playing vctf, mine trap on flag or mine trap in spawns. One of the best examples is placing them on weapon lockers in the spawn area but thats fixed now.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Me too, welcome to September 2007.

The part which bugs me specifically about these automated frag collectors is that you can't bloody destroy the thingy they emit from!?

Gimmicks.

Also notice how you can't destroy the blue Halo3-ish field either? It has a small base but you just have to let it go. It's not really a problem though, but you can guide avrils trough the field and sometimes it should be destroyable.

They've always been there. Get out of sticking to DM, and start playing VCTF/Warfare. :p

Or oh please dear epic don't ever put spider mines in DM ever again?
They wouldn't be a problem if you could destroy their nest. It just doesn't belong to be the way it is.

No offence but that's just the lamest comparision ever. A redeemer is so easy to take down, I can't tell for DM, but anything esle is just cake, and it's, slow. Really, slow. Noisy. Huge. It's not as if it has a parade sing "SHOT HERE" with flashing lights.

Please, don't compare fast and deadly invisible metal junk with invincible nests to such thing. :)

Random Annoying casual forumer fanboi can't take feedback said:
OMG PEOPLE FIND ANYTHING TO WHINE ABOUT UT3 AND GAMES!!!
Incoming in 3.. 2..

Edit again:
I think "frustrating" is the word you're looking for rather than "powerful".

I don't feel any satisfaction from killing with spidermines. I do with the deemer.
I feel frustrated dying from spidermines, but not so much with the deemer.

Exactly, that's a nice way to explain it actually. The redeemer is sure deadly, but again it's a one time only projectile and it's everything I mentioned above, which makes it satisfactory in non-dm gametypes.

Last edited:

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
Although I agree that the base should be destroyable, I think the alternative is practically the same...

If you have the time to stand around shooting at a hole in the ground (if it was destroyable) I think waiting around with the Link taking out the spiders as they jump out at you is basically the same thing. Shoot down 15 spiders and you're on your way.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
The spider mines remind me of Stargate's replicators. I'm not fond of them, but I don't hate them either. Maybe if the base was to be destroyable it should be by some sort of sacrifice, so you've got to (a) have the skill to get past the mines to the base, and (b) know that you're going to die to get rid of it.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
They can turn the tides when playing vctf, mine trap on flag or mine trap in spawns. One of the best examples is placing them on weapon lockers in the spawn area but thats fixed now.

I don't really understand, it's not hard at all to blast them while they're after your team mates. Then they don't go out all at once, so you can reach the locker with just a bit of skill, and destroy them all as soon as they come out.

If someone manages to drive a Nightshade right into your base and place a deployable right in the heart of it, he deserves a little reward.

With the old mine layer everybody could come to your base and spamming spider mines, now if someone can put a deployable right under your arse, you're really in a n00b team :)

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Guess you havent played necropolis much then, when your main goal is to stop the flag carrier as you spawn in that ridiculously predictable spawn area, you dont have time to look at the floor and look out for spider mines. And while we are on the subject i think it was a ridiculous design decision to include a vehicle that can render itself invisable, then do it again later on down the line of the games lifespan. There was a reason why no other games dev included this design in there games.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Uhh, you now spawn with locker weapons + Spawn protect (keep it at 6-8, admins!) + spider nests being used up very quickly + you can't get the Nightshade on the high platform so you can't annoy flag carriers + Nightshades have to get to the enemy base + it's not completely invisible. I think that's enough to render the spider mines useless now.