Why aren't you playing right now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why aren't you playing UT3 instead of reading this?

• Total voters

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
SP > MP

To be honest, I hate high player count servers. There I said it. There is no reason to make the max 32 people. NO REASON AT ALL!!

Image DM-BioHammer with 32... oh wait, 64 players :eek:

If there's another reason why I don't play UT3 always, is that I find it a bit boring.

Play the single player and you have to face some annoying bots (especially in Warfare games, the ones in your team).
Play the Multiplayer part and you are face to face with the Server Browser, a bug which doesn't let you play the map and forces you to return to the menu (happens rarely), lag, terrible lag, Stinger spammers, BioHazard and Impact Hammers, Deimos, Heatray, etc...

Annoying as hell, but when everything is right I sure get the fun.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Then you wouldn't be on the forums...

And even if you have 2 PCs, 1 playing UT3, and 1 on BeyondUnreal -- still doesn't count -- you're obviously using the BU one to read this.

I am going with the assumption that the OP wants to know why i am not out there populating servers, not what i am doing at this very instant.. as that is pretty useless information to him, he allready knows, if i am reading his post or writing a reply, i am obviously surfing the BU forum, duh.

As for crashing to desktop... UT3 is pretty stable...

Or at least it was very stable as soon as I upgraded my drivers to (for nVidia, 169.28)

The only other error I had was CLR Runtime Error... that (as I found out last week -- when I had massive data corruption across all 3 harddrives) was caused by a bad mobo {hard drive controller chip}...

Are you sure your computer isn't to blame, and UT3's the only program that uses said broken part/driver in such a way to make it crash?

Absolute rubbish, UT3 has been crashing, and continues to crash on countless systems, it is unstable with ATI cards, with many nVidia cards too under XP, also with Creative sound cards, AMD systems can also have problems, as can users with an nForce-4 chipset.

The 169.28 drivers have fixed the issues for SOME, mostly Vista users, but definately not for all, and especially not alot of XP users.

Also, nothing has been done with the sound card issues, or the ATI issues.

The game is far from "stable", and the fact that it is running on your system does not mean it is running on mine, it certainly is not!

But other UE3 games are, Bioshock for instance runs flawlessly, as do all other games and programs i have installed, i am running the latest drivers for all my stuff aswell.

All points to the game beeing the broken component, and we are many who cannot get the game to run at all, or reliably (just look on this forum, whilst few seem to be as badly affected as i am, many complain of the game beeing unstable, and having to run it in a window so it wont lock up their system).
I have been a PC user since the DOS days, i do know what im doing here, and my system is not on the fritz, UT3 is.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
And you suck at reading

The poll is ok because it takes into account every reason why somebody could be on this forum instead of playing

Why do I suck at reading? The poll sucks cause you left out one of the most important reasons: "I don't like the game." :p

And of course "the game sux" is not included either because otherwise you would not be on this forum.

Eh, yes I would. To discuss what I like or don't like about the game of course or to participate in polls like this (like right now) or to convince people that think the game is good that it isn't. :lol:

Last edited:

ConceptBoz

Mr Depressed
Jan 31, 2008
www.conceptboz.com
Because currently i cant sign into gamespy/"game"...for like the 10th time in two weeks.

Tomorrow night will prob be the next time i try it - for a clanwar - the 5th time we have tried, only for various problems to happen and for it not to be completed.

I seem to have a choice of playing a game where 80% of my time is facing problems to get to play it - or a choice of games where 99% of my time will be playing the game.

suibhne

Feb 17, 2005
I often find it difficult to locate populated TDM/CTF servers. In TF2 and CoD4, otoh, there are always hundreds of options. No, I'm not going to idle in an empty UT3 server for 30 minutes just to help build a playing population, when I can fire up CoD4 and find 17,000 servers (probably at least 8,000-10,000 populated) in about 10 seconds.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I picked "I'm waiting for the servers to fill up by themselves" for obvious reason. And no... I have other things to do inestad of waiting for the first player to stop by. Although it works and last time I got couple of games after I hanged on the server for a few minutes.

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
Its just that UT3 is not as populair as other games i think. There are a lot of games released last months, so the competition is killing. Unfortunately UT3 is far from finished to make a fair change against all other good games.

Maybe after patch 2/3/4 UT3 is more populair then it is now, and more fun, i shurely hope so.

For now i think i'm gonna buy the Orange Box because i read alot positive comments about TF2 :)

Gr Fragger

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Who says there's gonna be anything more than the second patch? If they're not willing to add in client-side demo support, who's to say patch v1.2 isn't the last one?

:tinfoil3:

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
Who says there's gonna be anything more than the second patch? If they're not willing to add in client-side demo support, who's to say patch v1.2 isn't the last one?

There are so many complaints about UT3, so i'm positive about more patches then only 2. If not, then i'm throwing the game into the trash.

Gr Fragger

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
:eek:
And what ping do you have?
I get some full 32 player servers any time of the day (living in the Netherlands). Surprisingly, most of the times it are US servers with a ping around 120, which sounds high, but as soon as I start playing the game, it runs butter smooth and I usually land 20 frags in matches which have 30 as their frag limit.

What surprises me even more though is that I see populated US servers all the time, while you guys, who actually live there, don't.\

When I get a EU server the ping goes down most of the time below the 50.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Because I just finished a match or five;)
And because ATM I can't play more than that because I was up 'till 5 playing Mariokart yesterday night...need more energy to play UT decently;)

But you can ask S1lentN1ghtmare .. they were GGs!^^

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Very nice thread. My option isn't there.

I have the game and I like it. It's just that I have an old computer and I don't have enough time to play because of the TVseries I follow. I also chat alot with friends and read this forum ever so often.

You are right, I should be playing than reading here, but I am always trying to convince me to play it again but I just ain't there yet.

By the way, I don't consider myself a troll, that's just stupid.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Because I just finished a match or five;)
And because ATM I can't play more than that because I was up 'till 5 playing Mariokart yesterday night...need more energy to play UT decently;)

But you can ask S1lentN1ghtmare .. they were GGs!^^

If people think the bots cheat in UT, you have not played mariokart. Your about to win and BAM 10 blueshells hit you.

Lol yea those were some nice matches. Maybe we can extend fragbu to sunday this week because of presidents day in the US and lots of people are off so DarQraven can play. He says hes away form his comp on fridays and saturdays.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, it's a bloody conspiracy! :eek:
Ah well, I'll find time to join soon though;) I quit my job that caused this recently, so I only have to work through the 1-month "cooldown" time before I'm free at friday evenings:)

And about the mariokart bots .. seriously .. those are .. hell ...just plain hell.
Kinda like Perfect Dark (N64), as well ... once you got up to the higher bot levels, you could actually see them warping all over the map by watching the radar:p Now those were the days ...unbeatable bots.:lol: