Post SPAWN weapon ideas here!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I have not read all the messages in this forum, but I read most of the last ones. ( I just hope that I have not missed one very important good point on the way)

I have to disagree with some ideas here. I have the feeling that some people wish to have new weapons...
-1) just for aesthetics or special effect purpose
-2) just because they want an arsenal that fits their own playing style

I don t think that these 2 points are essentials and I fear that a such focus could lead to a wrong eye candy arsenal. i am not sure that it is something we really wish.

I think that the right way to modify/adjust/create the arsenal is to think this way:
the STONE - PAPER - SCISSORS game
If we follow this model, the arsenal would be then well-balanced because no weapon would never be stronger than all the others, it would be always a weapon stronger than the one used by your opponent.
And I wonder if another key is that on a lap of time of 2 seconds, every weapon should be able to produce the same amount of damage when used at its best (this should be checked to see how it would improve or damage the gameplay).

Persefone

Ms God!
Jun 2, 2005
Hickjaking a bit the thread, I´ll say asking Epic for new features (weapons, gametypes, blah blah..) is a waste of time. Everybody has a different opinion of how UT2007 has to be, so maybe they should make the most modabble UT ever instead of trying to please everybody like they did with UT2004.

And an UnrealScript for Dummies tutorial... or a book... or something:jen:

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
a place that only I can exist in
anyways.... I dont really care much more for melee weapons. i'll be satisfied if they just make more guns, and I mean more guns. Melee can stay isolated in mods and Chaos UT, but I just want to see newer and fresher guns for UT2k7.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
I wish they could make much more of everything! Not only to satisfy the users, but because that new Halo game coming soon is going to dominate the public favor if it has more features and is funner than UT2k7. I want UT2k7 to domiate for once, because of its large arsenals and large vehicle selection, etc.

yo goldfenix, try the edit and adding info, instead of making 3 posts ;]

i agree with fresher weapons, and maybe a few new ones, but just tweak a few of the current ones, there is already a large amount of guns in ut04.

with the conquest mode im sure they can come up with a few ideas

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I don't necessarily know "more guns" would be a good thing. They really do cover a lot of bases with their current set, and keeping them in balance, and evolving them I'm sure is work enough. Honesly though, if you think of even now how some of the basic physics behind each weapon, in pairs have similarities, I really wonder how many new weapons that are truly fresh they could make.

Weapons kind of define the franchise, and these are pretty unique as is, even if comperable to real life stuff a gun that shoot shards of metal shrapnel is much cooler then just any old shotgun. I'm fine with them making slow, or small weapons changes/additions provided they keep balance, and not make it a "new" new game every time around. They made a lot of changes and lost the "feel" once, I don't think they wanna make that mistake again. Epic could also start releasing new titles if they felt people really did want that much "fresh new content."

I guess they are kind of doing their part to that effect by leasing the engine. Apparantly no one feels they can contest the current big FPS developers with their ideas.

Jerm

Sep 27, 2005
after reading all these ideas i think the enforcers are the best idea by far, no stupid plasma swords bull****... i did like the idea of gun upgrades (which i remember playing with in the very first unreal) which could add to maybe someone actually using the enforcer again but i dunno, i say keep the game as similar as possible to UT2004/UT99. also, ut2007 shouldn't (imo) have much better graphics than ut2004. the graphics level was above its time in ut2004 and people much rather prefer to have a game that they can have fun with at a good fps level and not worry about overheating or slow computers. more graphics leads to more money, and we just want to play games, not look at walls. the ut2004 graphics were excellent and im basing the popularity of the game on its graphics/gameplay ratio.. the most popular games have been cheaper to run,and have been bigger instead of looking better for example UT99-HEAPS of people played it, come ut2003 and ut2004 a small amount played compared to ut99. Counter strike is still going strong after 6 years and a few decent updates (although there is an abundance of hackers)- tournaments are going back to CS 1.6 from CS:S due to its popularity. Thief 2 was 10x better than thief3 because the creators sacrificed gameplay and length for graphics when they made thief3.. there are so many more examples.. Epic really have to use their brains when it comes to weapon balance/gameplay/ PC performance and also a GOOD MARKETING CAMPAIGN!!

PS: less wank factor more fun factor plz

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
So, right, you want a game that's coming out 3 years later, after the development of multi-cpu and multi-cpu platforms to NOT push the graphics systems?

Riiight.

Plus, most of the points there have been covered in other threads.

Jerm

Sep 27, 2005
lol? its coming out 3 years later? i heard it was coming out jan feb march next year, but ok if its in 3 years then fine.. upgrade the graphics. most of the other points have been covered in other threads: thankyou for telling me this, i feel so ashamed that i dont read all the noobie posts about stupid swords and other ideas to finally come across some decent ideas- thankyou so much for telling me that what i said has been said before, it helps and next time nobody should ever post anything because people have probably posted about that before.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I think his point was you did kinda start cross subject rambling, and some of that stuff has been discussed to further details in other threads before.

Welcome to BuF btw :D.

...and he wasn't really referring to 3 years from now, but 3 years from the last time the graphics engine was updated in 2003. Considering mostly only gameplay and gamemode changes and additions were made from 2003-2004, graphically the game is still the same, and on the same engine. Whereas 2007 (releasing in 2006) will be a whole new engine, with updated graphics (lostly updated) and will be 3 years later, designed for technology that is getting affordable now (multi-core cpu platforms and multi-video card systems).

I agree though that the swords are a bad idea. I as well, am not looking forward to having to upgrade to run this game, as well as many other previously discusses problems with detailed graphics, like player visibility.

Jerm

Sep 27, 2005
it looked like he meant that it was coming out in 3 years... i cbf'ed posting diff ideas in diff threads as i have more important things to do than posting on forums, so i decided to include it all!
the fact of the matter is the more money that is needed to run this game the less players they will have. on topic: spawn weapon =enforcer

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
thunder_hammer.jpg

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
Notice that all the weapons have not changed much or have changed very little over the 3 pc games. The firiing modes might change, or the textures, or even the damn shape of the gun too. All that is going to happen if they do what all you are saying is just enhance the shock rifle a bit (which they already did cause i saw the demo,) and some other guns and vehicles. They dont need to release it has a new franchise just because it gets more weapons. The only problem is, what new weapons should there be? Melee? Mid Range? Long Range? Point Blank? I sure as hell dont know.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Spawn weapons, spawn weapons... Chains! and a cape, and bright green necroplasm... oh, wait.

I think I'd just stick with the ol' Enforcer and Hammer. The Enforcer actually seemed powerful enough to be effective, while still providing motivation to find somethign better. The Shield gun is the Hammer w/o the blood and the mechanical, industrial edge, I love the Hammer for the smae reason I love the Flak and the Razorjack-solid, straight to the point industrial killing power. Kinda' feels like shoving someone into a giant set of cogs... But maybe the Hammer could be equipped with a (temporary?) shield-gun-secondary ability, in case you run out of spawn-protection before you're able to find anything good you'd have some protection...