Post SPAWN weapon ideas here!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
a place that only I can exist in
Melee and Guns!

There should be more new guns, instead of just bringing back the classics and modifying old ones. I have a few ideas for both melee weapons and guns.

Guns: For one, they need to be more detailed and both 1st person view and 3rd should look the same. second, it may be called "Unreal Tournament," but that doesn't mean the guns have to be all crazy and strange. There should be a Photon Cannon, that replaces or is an alternate version of the minigun. Its single fire being a automatic firing mode, blasting 10 photon lasers per second, and the alt being a chargable beam/ball that radiates enemies and does about how much 3 rockets would do in UT 2004.

Melee: A new laser sword, plus many others. 1 could be called the Defiler Blade, that glows neon purple and black. The sword's blade length should be about 5 feet in length, so you can slash and hack enemies from a distance. The single fire being a random swing, some more effective than the others, and the altfire being a block that is like the Paladin's shield, and it will protect the whole front of the player in a cirular purple glow. Death Effect: when a player or Actor is hit with the blade, electric particles emmiter from the sword like an ora, and the player gets horrible burned and shocked with a purple shock texture wrapping them. When the player/actor is murdered with this sword, they explode into bones and purble and black smoke.

Cool, hih?

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
The shaking view thing would be bad, because it could be used when the player has a weapon and that would allow players to mess another player's screen up then move in for the kill with the another weapon.

Inorder for this tactic not to be overpowering they'd have to make the spawn weapon harder to use and more skillbased.

I personally think a fairly easy to use, low damage, and high momentum projectile is the best idea so far for a weapon that stops spawnrape, but isn't powerful enough for someone to prefer a spawn weapon over other weapons in any other given circumstance or scenario.

*edit*30 second disappear thing could be cool. I think conc grenades would be cool with a really short shake duration and a nice momentum, but don't make the screen shake long enough to make for an overpowered combo with other weapons.

(takes a hint from AEnubis)I'm sure they'll put a lot of thought into the IH and Enf and make a great game. :lol: I think the ideas in this thread could work real well, but I bet they are already set on what type of firemodes they will use, they are probably just fine-tuning the balance and making things pretty by now I bet. :D

Goldfenix said:
There should be more new guns, instead of just bringing back the classics and modifying old ones. I have a few ideas for both melee weapons and guns.

Guns: For one, they need to be more detailed and both 1st person view and 3rd should look the same. second, it may be called "Unreal Tournament," but that doesn't mean the guns have to be all crazy and strange. There should be a Photon Cannon, that replaces or is an alternate version of the minigun. Its single fire being a automatic firing mode, blasting 10 photon lasers per second, and the alt being a chargable beam/ball that radiates enemies and does about how much 3 rockets would do in UT 2004.

Melee: A new laser sword, plus many others. 1 could be called the Defiler Blade, that glows neon purple and black. The sword's blade length should be about 5 feet in length, so you can slash and hack enemies from a distance. The single fire being a random swing, some more effective than the others, and the altfire being a block that is like the Paladin's shield, and it will protect the whole front of the player in a cirular purple glow. Death Effect: when a player or Actor is hit with the blade, electric particles emmiter from the sword like an ora, and the player gets horrible burned and shocked with a purple shock texture wrapping them. When the player/actor is murdered with this sword, they explode into bones and purble and black smoke.

Cool, hih?
Yes, those are some cool ideas you have. I bet all of these ideas could be imbeded into maps as map specific super weapons.

Last edited:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Well I was thinking just the nades I mentioned and the SG. As I mentioned the nades wouldn't be permanent. However if someone tries to Spawn kill I have no sympathy for them being pounded into oblivion by my SG while they are paralyzed.

Though it might be better if the gun you spawn with shoots low level electrically charged bullets that do under 25% health per shot. And have something like a nade launcher that shoots electric orbs (that have similar physics and fire rate as a shock ball) that stuns a play for 1-2 seconds. The orb launcher would lose its charge after 5-10 seconds after spawning.

Don't mind me, I just like coming up with ideas :).

Though Epic should really just make the default spawn protection longer. Something like 3-4 seconds instead of the 1-2 it starts with. I always jack it up to 3 personally because bots are spawn killing punks.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I think the spawn weapon should also distort the players aim/view and make them dizzy a LITTLE bit. I don't know how many of you have played Red Faction 2, but there was this cool gun (called poison gun or something i forgot) that made you dizzy and basically the screen would zoom in and out in different directions, but that would be a bit too extreme for a ut2k7 spawn weapon, remember the main purpose of the spawn weapon should be defending while trying to find a bigger and better gun to frag with. So it should make them dizzy enough that they would think "ah screw spawnraping, I'm gonna frag some real players" and the other player would be like "I ain't gonna get much, if any, kills unless I find a better gun".

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
came up with a brand new idea and flow for the all the new and old weapons on UT2007! Reloading! Like for example, the Assault Rifle holds 6 grenades in a pack right?
Well then, you can shoot 6 grenades, then you reload (and that has a cool 1st person animation) 6 new grenades which subtracts 6 from
your total amount. 6/ 100 -6 6/ 94.

It can be that way with every gun, except with super weapons like redeemer and ion cannon, and all the new ones.
There could be a great challenge in making a reload feature, such as the problem with showing the player's hands in first person view. It might also take some time to reload and while your reloading you could get blown to hell by a prepared player. I don't know... I just got this idea last night.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
New Weapon Ideas!

I have a new idea for a melee weapon for UT 2007, and how you pick them up in the maps.

Sabatoge Blade:
Definition:A 3-5 feet sword that glows limish green and immates green radiation.
Firing Modes: 1st Fire is a random swing (there are 4 swings all together, and it randomly chooses) some being more effective then others. If clicked 3 times rapidly, a combo will randomize (there will be 2 combos altogether) Some being more effective than another. One combo is a z like slash that hacks the player up into a shower of body parts. The second combo could be vertical slash, then a right horizontal slash and then a left horizontal slash. The vertical slash will do the most damage, about 75, regarless of armor and shields. The first horizontal slash will do about 35, which should end the players life. The second slash is a reinforced slash, in case the first doesn't kill or it misses.
Hit/Death Effects: When a player is hit with the sword, a laserish sound goes off and blood spurts out of the player along with green radiation from the sword.:eek: The death effect will result in a massive and violent explosion of body parts, and a bright yet brief blow of green from the sword.
How you can get it: This sword doesn't spawn on a weapon base, instead the blade can be recieved in many ways. 1st way: once a player recieves a killing spree, the weapon shows up in their selection. 2nd way: This sword and all the others could be on a hanger type thing, similar to the weapon locker for assault and onslaught.
Oh yeah! The second firing mode: The second firing mode is chargable combo that takes approximately 5 seconds to charge. The swing is very fast and it just does a bunch of random hacks and slashes in the direction your facing. the combo swing will last about 5 or 6 seconds if charged fully. The damage of this firing mode when fully charged is exceedingly great, tearing the player into pieces and knocking them back.

Last edited:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Goldfenix said:
came up with a brand new idea and flow for the all the new and old weapons on UT2007! Reloading! Like for example, the Assault Rifle holds 6 grenades in a pack right?
Well then, you can shoot 6 grenades, then you reload (and that has a cool 1st person animation) 6 new grenades which subtracts 6 from
your total amount. 6/ 100 -6 6/ 94.

It can be that way with every gun, except with super weapons like redeemer and ion cannon, and all the new ones.
There could be a great challenge in making a reload feature, such as the problem with showing the player's hands in first person view. It might also take some time to reload and while your reloading you could get blown to hell by a prepared player. I don't know... I just got this idea last night.
I thought of this before, and it would be cool as hell, but I don't think it would be possible. It would slow down gameplay too much, and make it less unreal and more real.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
some ideas...

I think all guns should have more than 2 firiing modes. the 3rd can be you use the gun as a melee weapon, in case it runs out of ammo.
new guns should also have new sounds, and new features, to keep the game fresh and new, instead of just using the same guns from before...:(

Yeah, Im just about out of ideas for now.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Goldfenix said:
Yeah, Im just about out of ideas for now.
Thank god.

My suggestions:

Lower rof on shock
No child bolts on LG
Nerf goo gun or remove it entirely
Remove grenades
Remove flak secondary chunks
Fix rocket/flak no register bug for once (7 year old bug. good game)

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Flak bomb chunk should be handled like it was in UT, including lessening the rediculous splash radius and damage it does now "gg lobbed rocket launcher".

The whole point of bombs before was extended range chunk. Direct hits were tough, took skill, and paid off. I'd much sooner just remove the alt fire from it, and add a 3rd fire to the rocket launcher if both fires are to be so similar.

Anything "random" is bad. Hence you'll see most people saying child bolts are bad. Not likely they will add weapon stuff that is "random" (read: sword random slash idea = bad).

Reloading is not unreal. I've seen it talked about in numerous forum posts over the years, before and after numerous installments of this game franchise. Not happening in UT.

Tertiary fire modes if done properly could be cool. Would make balancing more difficult though.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
dc- said:
No child bolts on LG
There's no LG anyway :/
dc- said:
Nerf goo gun or remove it entirely
Remove it entirely - agreed...ut2k7 could really use some new weapon ideas. So far the weapons announced in ut2k7 DM are basically rehashed weapons from previous Unreal games. And if it is going to stay, I really don't think it should be nerfed.
dc- said:
Remove grenades
Definately.
dc- said:
Remove flak secondary chunks
idk
dc- said:
Fix rocket/flak no register bug for once (7 year old bug. good game)
What exactly is this?

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The "Projectile Dud" bug is actually a problem with the netcode where the client and server are asynchronys a couple miliseconds and a near miss appears as a hit, and vice versa.

If every you see a rocket hit a target and do no damage, it's basically the server compensating your pov of something miliseconds late because of your ping, so as what the client rendered and predicted, you thought that shot was to hit, but it didn't, and the server hence doesn't assign damage because it knows where the target actually was.

If you ever see a rocket kill somone, and appear to not explode: pass right throught the target as if it could hit another, that is the same bug, working in the opposite way.

The netcode is being reworked completely. Dunno what methods they are using so I can't say if this should be fixed or not.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
Reloading actually sounds like a dumb ass idea now... It would make the game too realistic and not "Unreal." what I meant about randomized swings is that there is more than 1 swing, and when you do the single fire (by default is mouse click left,) the engine searches for one of the swings assigned to that weapon and executes the swing, along with its emmiter effects and statistics. Get it? (Don't know why you guys dont like my sword ideas... I think UT has too much guns and needs more melee weapons.)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Goldfenix said:
I think UT has too much guns and needs more melee weapons.)
Why in God's name would you ever think such a thing? If you want less guns and more melee, go play Halo. There the plasma guns don't really exist online so you've only got the pistol, sniper, and rockets, while every weapon can melee people.

The assault rifle was good in theory, Epic/DE probably thought it was genius on paper, but in practice it sucks. Like briach said, everyone spams grenades because they know they'll never come back to the weapon again. Thus, enforcers are the clear way to go with spawn weapons. No swords, no grenades, no other dumb crap. Just enforcers. The ability to throw yours to a teammate so he can wield two is perfect for team play. That's the one and only good part about the assault rifle in practice.

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
Dude, Halo is getting old and boring. I'm just saying that some people enjoy hacking there enemies up face to face rather then shooting them down with a gun. Or is the melee logic just going to remain in Chaost UT Evolution?

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Mods are the reason I'm going to buy ut2k7 regardless of how the actual game is, even if they put vehicles in ctf and dm! I'll still buy the game for the mods.

Goldfenix you do have to realize ut2k7 has to stay within the ut series format or else it might aswell not be ut.

Melee is fun, that is what mods are for. :)

Last edited:
Goldfenix said:
Dude, Halo is getting old and boring. I'm just saying that some people enjoy hacking there enemies up face to face rather then shooting them down with a gun. Or is the melee logic just going to remain in Chaost UT Evolution?

chaosUTevolution is a good mod, while i think the melee is a bit weak and not much skill involved, it is a starting point IF epic decides to incorporate melee.

that being said, im against it in Unreal Tournament games

1) it is and should be a UC feature, not really incorporated in UT
2) Ut is all about guns and gametypes, maps represent this, if weapons are introduced in UT, no good players are really going to consider it unless its just melee or are just mucking around, e.g u pull out a sword about 2m away from me, i pull out a flak cannon..no guesses for who wins, i can hit u from anywhere, backing up, getting behind u, etc, while u have to get very close to use the weapon at all, let alone how good it works
3) for melee to work, UT would have to incorporate UC's adrenaline system for a player to be able to have any chance of beating a decent player, so unless they decide to do a UC adren for melee and UT adren for guns, it wont work
4) melee weapons suck, while they are f'n cool to see, they just arent anything to a gun, (see human (homo-sapien) evolution) guns> swords daggers
5) only thing that MAY work is if within a certain distance players automatically switch to melee and cant go guns, but then other players shouldnt be able to shoot the duelers, and then it may get really, really annoying if less than average players keep forcing u to switch to melee

while it sounds cool, i just cant see melee being of any use or a good idea in Unreal Tournament imo.

wouldnt mind being able to hack-and-slash with two swords though =]

cheers
Xaero

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
If they switched the hammer for a sword it would balance out, but then you wouldn't have any cool trick moves which would suck.

They could however start you with a cool sword (like the one from deus ex), the impact hammer and the enforcer. This would give you the choice to use a semi distance but weaker sword, or a no distance instant kill of the hammer. I think it could balance nicely like that actually.