UTComp features in 2k7

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
It's not even the fact that I can be seen when I "shouldn't". The neon green skins, it should be painfully obvious, are not part of the game. Are any of the regular characters textured like that?

I would NOT have a problem with brightskins if they were "official" brighter versions of the stock UT2K4 skins. That, I would be okay with.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
briachiae said:
points of the thread...

hey, I'm a-okay with decent brightskins, appropriate hitsounds, a warmup feature, more indepth stats.
If that's what some people want, I can adapt (actually hitsounds get a little too addictive, where it's hard to play without, so I become a worse player).
Though I'll probably seek out servers without it.

My main gripe with UTComp is the Newnet.
I no longer think UTComp has ruined UT (passed that point a long time ago), but newnet has ruined UTcomp for me.

I honestly didn't think the mod could get any worse.
Not only did they NOT improve the features that were there, they just added another atrocious one.

I mean, what's worse than having a baby with Downs Syndrome?
Beating that child until it's a vegetable and chaining it to the wall, that's what.

Last edited:

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Plumb_Drumb said:
I mean, what's worse than having a baby with Downs Syndrome?
Beating that child until it's a vegetable and chaining it to the wall, that's what.
Most server admins don't want babies on their servers. Maybe if there were more baby admins, but most admins at this age of the game take the game seriously. I know lots of baby noncompetitive admins that use utcomp, too, they use it because it has an awesome voting feature, colored names, and some gametypes that they like. They weren't about competition at all. I've spent hours on their server just chilling and walking around huge and beautiful maps, just enjoying the beauty of the game, not even shooting eachother. TBH, I didn't think brightskins or anything utcomp took away from my experience in the slightest.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
|H|Alarion said:
If Epic includes features from UTComp (BS, HS, warmup, etc) but it's all optionable (and maybe even defaults to off) -- you still don't want it in, because it goes against *your* philosophy of what the game should be. Never mind the other 7000 players out there and what they might want.
But it's clear from every single one of Epic's games up to now that that is not and hasnever been Epic's philosophy of what the game is, and I think that's what everyone is saying here. You can't go one way and not the other. UTcomp totally ruins Epic's philosophy of UT2004 gameplay.
I really don't understand some of the arguments against UTcomp some of you are putting forth. Brightskins does not make you easier to hit. Easier to see on some maps, yes.
Easier to see = Easier to hit. Unless you are trying to tell me that acquiring your target the instant it enters your screen does not assisst you in knowing where to aim at all?
There are a couple maps where several models (especially when on the blue team) are practically invisible -- even when moving.
I don't think anyone would argue with Epic style brightskins. The only thing I se argued agaist is glowstick brightskins here. I've never had a big problem with it like apparently every single Comp player has...
Without brightskins and without newnet, I still get juggled by primary shock spam from halfway across the map. I still get headshotted like crazy. I still get rocket and flak spammed all to hell. I still get killed, still get capped on -- and I return the favor just the same.
But I think you would agree that the rate at which these things happen goes up exponentially with UTcomp turned on.
Brightskins makes the game more "fair" in a competitive setting *such as ladders and tournaments). For pubs, sure, turn them off. Though, the competitive scene people (which I am sort of a part of) will want them on, on the pubs *they run*.
Again, Brightskins, or glowsticks? Glowsticks aren't really fair in any setting, IMO.
The main problem, is a lot of you cry to totally remove something because you don't like it. Well, I don't like low grav (anymore) or 150%+ game speed. TAKE IT OUT NOW!
How can you take out settings that aren't even there? Some people are asking for the INCLUSION of UTcomp settings in UT2007. Other people don't want them included.

briachiae: That was very big of you, no worries! :D

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Target aquisition is only inconsistant, because few people want to practice it. Before anyone could (practice and get good at it), and not need Comp, Comp "fixed" it.

My point is, that your take on "what skill is skill" is completely, and totally biased by your personal preference. You belittle skills that you don't want to practice, and talk up skills that you do. That is your personal preference, and that is why this debate will never end, or only end at an agree to disagree.

Aim as a skill is inconsistant to your target. How he moves makes you adapt your aim, just as model selection, and background effects your target aquisition. The difference is, there are more variables (obstacles) with target aquisition to consider, making it (technically) a more difficult skill to master (as it would seem under these circumstances). Even more difficult in comparison when speaking on hit-scan weapons, which have far less variables than projectile fire.

Visual acuity with practice can make target aquisition consistant under most variable circumstances. The only two reasons that may make it inconsistant in this game (at least in an unfair nature) are Matrix, and Abbadon (well, and maybe jakob, and tamika). I think it would be easier to mutate those models out, then strapping reflective neon vests on everything, but if everyone has a cheat, it's not a cheat right? Hence why we (purists) look at it as "one less skill to practice." Comp advocators simply justify it, by belittleing it as a skill. The only difference from that and racism is that you choose which one you like, you're not born with it. It's still bigotry.

My problem with comp advocators isn't "the fact that they like comp", it's the logistics of why they like comp. If you say you like it for a logical reason, then fine, like comp, and use it. Don't paint different colors on your reasons because of your own pride. You're only lying to yourself.

[edit]
Sir_Brizz said:
Easier to see = Easier to hit.

This only doesn't make sense to people who again, belittle hit aquisition as a skill, which technically, aim is a subsequent skill of, because you can't accomplish one without the other.

If you want more focus on one skill, by eliminating another then just say it.
[/edit]

Last edited:

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Nemephosis said:
They already think they can do it so much better than Epic, so I would enjoy seeing this.
Another uninformed comment. Do you even know Lotus in the slightest? Obviously not, as if you did you'd realise how dumb that comment is.

Status
Not open for further replies.