INF DecalStay V3.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I apologize beppo, as I am sure that my mutator must be something you hate to see. I consider it a way to get my point across, a way to develop a backing for a style of play. I hope you can understand.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
Beppo: I see your point. But don't worry, right now mutators don't get too widespread and it's very hard to get them on any popular servers. And so far the only mutator going against what you had in mind for the Mod is the scoreboad one... So far no one wanted to turn inf into INF lite...

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
yurch, sometimes yes ... but I like what you've done so ;)

Even if your changes are sometimes simple but the resulting effect looks good on the first look. So you and others are able to react in a very fast way by developing their own little INF versions and share them with others. We develope in a bit larger environment and so we sometimes overlook the small things and/or have other things to "watch" at while changing things here and there.

So, I really like what I see and in some points it actually makes me "proud" to see community members scripting mutators/modifications for our own modification! INF inspires you to change the stuff ya don't like or fix bugs yourself... what else can tell me and our team that you like our basic thing a lot to spend your time and energy to fix it ;)

just don't destroy our basic "feel" ... that's all I'm asking for... but I'm sure you don't want to...

- and R-Force.... yepp ;) -

- Beppo

Khutan

Always in a vicious circle....
Jul 25, 2001
Merseyside, UK
www.planetunreal.com
INF-DecalStay is cool
w00t! :)
so plz do not mess up with such basic things like loadouts etc.
I don't think I would have coded something that would change gameplay so radically anyway, this is also the same sort of reason I didn't do new damage decals with V2, because I thought I'd be treading on peoples toes, and altering things I really shouldn't be....(maybe I was being overly cautious in this instance ;)). I suppose we (mutator developers) should probably check if it's okay with you before we start on something new, it'd probably solve a lot of problems in the long run ;) in fact, I apologise for not having asked already, especially with me having modified the main menu, and INF DecalStay being client side.

So, is it okay to modify the main menu? I had to alter some of the background art to do so, is that okay? I also considered adding some sort of mod menu type functionality to INF DecalStay, so that other people could easily add config menus to the main menu. But then I wondered why you removed the original mod menu (security?), and thought it'd probably be better not to do it.. so I dunno.

Then there is my main dilemma. By making INF DecalStay work with the latest version of INF, and to alter the main menu, I have to get around the security checks, in doing so I am potentially showing would-be cheaters how to do it. On the other hand, the security holes are there anyway, and by bringing them to light early, I am possibly also helping to stop cheaters (by acting as a sort of security checker). On the third hand (!), these holes may never be exploited by a would be cheater, and I am pretty much forcing you into plugging these holes (which could be very time consuming, depending on which hole). Of course, the ideal solution would be for INF to have some form of DecalStay built in (not necessarily mine, as long as INF has the DecalStay functionality, I don't really mind if it's my code or not, it's INF that's the important thing after all ;) ), and then I could check the security of INF and just email what I find to you, and then you can tighten security at your discretion...

So, I really like what I see and in some points it actually makes me "proud" to see community members scripting mutators/modifications for our own modification!
I'm honoured to be able to develop a mod-mod for such a great mod (try saying that ten times fast ;)) I just hope I haven't trodden on anyones toes or made your work harder or anything, the INF team has my total respect, so if you want me to stop developing INF DecalStay and remove the downloads, just say so, and they'll be gone in 3 seconds flat.

And finally, taking my own advice, is it okay for me to do:
INF DecalStay (clientside mod-mod / menu interface etc)
Random Team Spawns (mutator)
Clay Pigeon Shooting (actors to be placed in a level)
Possess a bot when dying (Operation Flashpoint style, offline only, mutator)

P.S. yes i do actually keep a list of planned projects, and it has a few more things on it, but none of you know what they are so I'm not commiting myself by putting them here ;)

P.P.S.
right now mutators don't get too widespread
IIRC, Los Pescados said he was going to do mutator reviews at RealMaps, so that'll probably increase their popularity...

P.P.P.S. :rolleyes: :D Thanks for the progress update Beppo! ;)