MSc Dissertation- Survey

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

senor-cojones

Aug 17, 2008
Hey guys,

I don't really post here too much but I'd really appreciate your help with my dissertation and survey.

My dissertation is entitled "An Investigation into the Impact of Subjective Time Progression within Computer Games" and I'm at a point now where I've started on the practical element but I'm needing to expand on my initial research.

As part of my initial research I've created an initial survey into general player experience within games (as a whole). The survey will then be used to base a discussion and compare general results to more refined results that will be collected in the final testing phase.

I'm wondering if people could please complete the survey which is located here http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=HCILGG_858665d9 and fill it in as seriously and honestly as possible- bear in mind that you don't have to provide your name or email address if you don't want to, but if you do then it would allow me to give you the final results and let you know about my final testing phase (if you wanted, and also, let me determine that all results are unique). If you could also pass it on to friends, colleagues, etc then I would also be most grateful.

Bit more info on the game I'm making; I've taken it upon myself to modify the UDK (and the mod Dungeon Defence) as a basis for an environment I'm creating- I'm an artist, not a programmer, but I haven't particularly spent much time on the visual thus far and so everything is very WiP. A short video showing what I've got so far is available here;

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4PjUggJe4[/M]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4PjUggJe4

And I've also posted a few images on my Flickr;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31285011@N02/

Any help filling in the survey would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much guys
Aaron

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Your survey is hard to answer when I see so many examples of games that do something and others that do not. When I'm asked to answer whether or not I have interesting things to do in games in general, I cannot answer precisely because there are games in which I do, and games in which I don't. The same goes for a lot of the questions.
"Games are emotionally engaging": Do I agree because I know it refers to a statement made by Ray Muzyka (and by extension BioWare games), or do I disagree because I also play games that do the entire engagement thing very poorly?

This survey will not generate an accurate picture of what people who play games feel or experience because games cancel out each others' qualities.

senor-cojones

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks very much for your feedback Sjosz and I do totally agree with your points, but what this survey is allowing me to do is to have a base to talk about and also allow me to refine and structure my future questions to properly relate to my final product and final testing scenario.

Obviously everything with this survey is very general and "depends on..."

Thanks for the feedback though Sjosz, it is greatly appreciated.

I agree with Sjosz here. I found the questions to be worthless at the least. Some games (RPG's for example) will suck away my time, create a feeling and emotion with the characters, and envelope me into their world. I get very involved in some of these games (IE: Dragon Age, Mass Effect)

However, I do play mindless games that I don't care if I die, if the main character dies or if there is a good plot, or a plot at all. Maybe I'm just one of those gamers that has a very wide variety of games that I play. I play pretty much anything these days, and always have. From Sim Racing (GT5) Action, RPG, arcade, indie, puzzle, RTS etc. I actually don't know of any genre that I don't play.

So I can't say that your survey will serve will actually get you any real, honest data because the questions don't get specific enough.

But I completed it anyways, and because of my variety in games, most questions were answered with '4'.

senor-cojones

Aug 17, 2008
Hey guys,

Many thanks to all that replied and filled in my survey, it's been a great help. I'm going to analyse all of the results and draw any conclusions that I can, as soon as I have time, and I'll post any findings (obviously anonymously) if anyone is interested.

This month I've been working on a few visuals and optimisations on my environment, so if you would like to check it out then the video is available on my youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0gLEAWptAc&feature=feedu

Many thanks
Aaron