Most amazing racing simulation ever.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Approx said:
One thing I am concerned about: The steering seems a little off, sorta. I am new to to the "Using a Steering Wheel and Pedals to Play Your Racing Games" scene, so I might just be missing a setting somewhere, but when I use the steering wheel I always get a massive "pendulum effect." What's weirder is that in RBR, it seems like it is ten times worse when using a chase style camera. If I choose the in car camera, the car seems much easier to control. Have you noticed anything similar, Derelan? Either way, do have any general steering wheel set up tips? I have a force feedback Logitech MOMO, by the way.

By pendulum effect, do you mean your steering wheel is swinging back and forth, or your car is? Because if its your car, there's an entire lesson on the pendulum effect in the Advanced School (its called the "scandanavian flick"). I assume, however, that with some major suspension tweakage, you could get rid of it if you didn't like it.

Anywho, i found the 3rd person camera to be equally challenging as the 1st person, if not easier. I beat the initial basic full-track test using 3rd person, not 1st.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Here is what I mean by pendulum effect:
Everytime I turn the car, if I do nothing, the wheel will stay turned and the car will veer off track. So of course I move the wheel in the opposite direction to its center to straighten out the car. But in order to get the car to straighten out fast enough, I usually have to turn the wheel a little past its center. But doing this results in the car flying in the other direction, veering off track. So I keep repeating this maneuver and the car keeps flying from one side to the other, eventually spinning out or crashing into a tree.

I never had this kind of trouble before I started using a steering wheel, so I am guessing the problem is just unfamiliarity on my part. First person is definitely easier for me to handle in RBR though...curious.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Approx said:
Here is what I mean by pendulum effect:
Everytime I turn the car, if I do nothing, the wheel will stay turned and the car will veer off track. So of course I move the wheel in the opposite direction to its center to straighten out the car. But in order to get the car to straighten out fast enough, I usually have to turn the wheel a little past its center. But doing this results in the car flying in the other direction, veering off track. So I keep repeating this maneuver and the car keeps flying from one side to the other, eventually spinning out or crashing into a tree.

I never had this kind of trouble before I started using a steering wheel, so I am guessing the problem is just unfamiliarity on my part. First person is definitely easier for me to handle in RBR though...curious.
Thats called overcorrecting, as a result of understeering. Your wheels didn't have enough grip.

There are 3 things you can do:
-Brake immediately before the crucial moment in a turn with your LEFT foot, to shift the momentum of your car to the front, thus giving you more grip.
-Simply letting off the gas for the entire turn has the same effect as above.
-If you're feeling really lucky, handbrake.

However, if you don't overcorrect like that,
I usually have to turn the wheel a little past its center.
you will see that the car will eventually straighten itself out, if you just leave the wheel in the center.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Hmm....gotta get this one I think. I'm still waiting for GTR which seems sofar the most realistic racing game (atleast the demo is simply just awesome). But hearing this rally is actually hard and realistic has wetted my apetite..

On an off topic, I was very dissapointed with Colin McRae Rally 2005 on the XBox...it just didn't "feel" right, like very arcadish touch to the driving IMHO..

//Kee

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
MP_Lord_Kee said:
Hmm....gotta get this one I think. I'm still waiting for GTR which seems sofar the most realistic racing game (atleast the demo is simply just awesome). But hearing this rally is actually hard and realistic has wetted my apetite..

On an off topic, I was very dissapointed with Colin McRae Rally 2005 on the XBox...it just didn't "feel" right, like very arcadish touch to the driving IMHO..

//Kee
I've tried the tarmac games, ones like GTR, and i can't see how they're fun. The great thing about rally racing is its unpredictability. There are no laps, each second is new gravel under your tires.

Keep in mind, RBR is tough. The first time i actually completed a match without crashing and flipping in the air 4 times, i was ecstatic.

Approx, if you haven't already, i highly suggest you go through all of the advanced rally class. It teaches alot of essentials, including the few i mentioned above, as well as their timing and application.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
"Tarmac" games can be a tad boring I guess. But I have enjoyed alot just hotlapping on Nürburgring Nordschleife...which is quite an amazing track. Too bad it ain't available to that many games.. (GTR mod for f1 2002 and PGR are the only ones that comes to mind..)
And if you have a good unpredicting AI to compete it can be quite fun as well. Atleast for a while :)

//Kee

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
MP_Lord_Kee said:
"Tarmac" games can be a tad boring I guess. But I have enjoyed alot just hotlapping on Nürburgring Nordschleife...which is quite an amazing track. Too bad it ain't available to that many games.. (GTR mod for f1 2002 and PGR are the only ones that comes to mind..)
And if you have a good unpredicting AI to compete it can be quite fun as well. Atleast for a while :)

//Kee
Right, thats the one thing i forgot to mention;

These guys had alot of room and time to code, since there is no AI and there is no multiplayer. There are no cars driving side by side, as it is a rally. So, it can get lonely sometimes.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
If you want a truly awesome thrill and sense of speed, play any of the EA Sports Formula One games with manual shifting and no steering/braking assistance (I can't stress that enough. It adds a ton to the feeling). Here's the demo for F1 2002.
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/f12002/f1_2002_wip_demo.exe.html

Too bad there's no RBR demo :(
lol FTU, with BurnsRally i have found manual shifting to be easier than automatic. And the fact that steering/braking assistance exists influences me to make an early judgement...

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Judge not early. Even the brilliant Janes combat sims (Ahh, Longbow...) had novice modes. The EA F1 games are the most realistic F1 sims, by far. They're simply scalable in difficulty so that you can ease yourself into them, and when you're in cars that turn on a dime and go 0-150mph in about 5 seconds and then have to immediately slow down to 60mph in order to take a hairpin turn, all the while dealing with 21 other cars on the track, you have to ease into them. I've not toiled much with rally games, but based on what I've played, they are much, much easier to handle than F1 games (which isn't necessarily to say that real life rallying is easier. It looks like a pain in the fucking ass). Put the F1 2002 demo on the most realistic driving model and the AI on 100% and see how long it takes for you to be able to qualify higher than 15th, let alone complete (or even survive) the 50 lap race ;). I've been playing the latest version for months and it still kicks my ass if my concentration lapses for even a split-second. You'll watch the guys race on TV and wonder how in the bloody hell someone doesn't die every time.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I agree with FTU. Those F1 games are awesome.
And some of the mods are way better than commercial games out there. For instance the GTR mod to F1 2002 is just amazing.
Things like tire and break temperatures are taken into consideration, you can adjust a multitude of things that affects the handling of the car...big part of the game is to create the perfect settings for each track. AI is quite good, not absoultedly perfect but challenging atleast and tries to avoid you instead of driving a stright line..

//Kee

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Wow! I'm stunned. This game actually ROCKS! (Richard Burns Rally that is). Atleast on PC.

I spent a couple of hours doing the driving school stuff, made it to the last special stage on which proves to be a challenge to pass. Still need to shave 5 secs of my personal best on that stage...
I like the way you really have to apply the things you have learned in the previous training sessions to pass the final one.
Lol, didn't even take a look at the actual game, had so much fun finishing off those lessions....

Graphics are really good in this game. The sensation of speed is awesome. Handling of the car seems very intuitive and realistic with weightshifting etc. It responds to the wheel the way you think it would...just stunning.

Definitedly the best rally game I have ever played (and guess I have played em all :) )
If the tracks in game are anything close to the special stage, this game is something I'm going to spend endless hours on.

//Kee

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
MP_Lord_Kee said:
Wow! I'm stunned. This game actually ROCKS! (Richard Burns Rally that is). Atleast on PC.

I spent a couple of hours doing the driving school stuff, made it to the last special stage on which proves to be a challenge to pass. Still need to shave 5 secs of my personal best on that stage...
I like the way you really have to apply the things you have learned in the previous training sessions to pass the final one.
Lol, didn't even take a look at the actual game, had so much fun finishing off those lessions....

Graphics are really good in this game. The sensation of speed is awesome. Handling of the car seems very intuitive and realistic with weightshifting etc. It responds to the wheel the way you think it would...just stunning.

Definitedly the best rally game I have ever played (and guess I have played em all :) )
If the tracks in game are anything close to the special stage, this game is something I'm going to spend endless hours on.

//Kee
Hehe, yeah, i found that the rally school was actually the most fun of the game :D

So far i've gotten 100% gold in Basic, and mixed results with Advanced. I'm stuck on the final stage of advanced, but since i got 1:29.9 in Basic, i should be able to shave 6s off that and get the one in advanced.

I'm having trouble with the scandanavian flick, though. I beat it by fluke, just slowing down and turning, i never actually did the scandanavian flick. But when i try to do it, the car just turns, it doesn't actually pendulum.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Damn this game is hard, or should one say simulator :) I finally did beat all of the rally school. That last special stage was hard. 1:23:xx something I believe was the time I got.
The scandinavian flick is easy to do once you keep you speed at 80kph, drive on the right side of the road (if turning right), well before the curve, steer sharply to the left and back to right, thus the back flings, downshift to keep wheels spinning and enter the corner tightly. Sounds easy but takes some training :) As everything with this game..

Tried a bit on a start in a season but somehow I seldom get to the finishline of the first stage in one piece so I keep on restarting it... realistic damage is a bitch :)

I think it is easier to drive if you remove that gear protection so you can slow down using gears as well. And bumper cam seems to be the easiest view to drive fast. Fun as hell :)

//Kee

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
MP_Lord_Kee said:
Damn this game is hard, or should one say simulator :) I finally did beat all of the rally school. That last special stage was hard. 1:23:xx something I believe was the time I got.
The scandinavian flick is easy to do once you keep you speed at 80kph, drive on the right side of the road (if turning right), well before the curve, steer sharply to the left and back to right, thus the back flings, downshift to keep wheels spinning and enter the corner tightly. Sounds easy but takes some training :) As everything with this game..

Tried a bit on a start in a season but somehow I seldom get to the finishline of the first stage in one piece so I keep on restarting it... realistic damage is a bitch :)

I think it is easier to drive if you remove that gear protection so you can slow down using gears as well. And bumper cam seems to be the easiest view to drive fast. Fun as hell :)

//Kee
Ah, alright, i didn't think of shifting down. I had gear protection on since my sequential shifter has a crappy switch. I'm thinking of using the buttons on the wheel for shifting, and the sequential shifter for handbrake.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Derelan said:
Ah, alright, i didn't think of shifting down. I had gear protection on since my sequential shifter has a crappy switch. I'm thinking of using the buttons on the wheel for shifting, and the sequential shifter for handbrake.

My driving "improved" a lot once I took off the gear protection. Just felt so unnatural to not be able to shift down at will and that in turn made me loose the pace and fluidity. Haven't had any breakdowns on the gear yet either so it seems to not be that hazardous.

Apparently this game is easy to mod, loads of stuff available already (haven't tried any yet). If I understood correctly there is even the possibilty to do online driving against someone else by using some 3rd party software?!?

Only negative thing sofar in my books is that the windshield is just a bit too fragile. Naturally outside view or bumper cam removes that issue completely :)

Oh crap, 1am, time to get some Zz's

//Kee

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
BobTheFearlessFish said:
play.com should have it for cheaper. no?
Yeah, checked there just after posting, it's about £17 I think. I'm really interested now, but I've also been reccommended Toca Race Driver 2, which is £2 cheaper. I can't really justify buying 2 more games at the moment (heck I can hardly justify one to myself, other than I'm bored), so is there anyone here who's played both and can give any advice?