Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I just don't understand what is wrong with them. Their body shape isn't that different.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I dont think there is a great deal wrong with the krall in UT3 myself, they might not be the same as the krall of old but that doesnt make them bad (beats a blue elephant any day :lol:).

I do think the skaarj would be a welcome return perhaps even the odd nali here and there, for me having the skaarj in UC2 was one of the big reasons it still felt very unreal perhaps even more so than UC/UT2003. The gen mo kai were a nice addition but they didnt have that same feel as the skaarj or nali, I spose though not every Unreal game is going to be able to pack the whole of the universe in there because of its current scope.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I'd be a happy camper if they brought Skaarj back. I doubt it'll happen, since there is so much other stuff that they need to spend resources fixing, and Krall is already 'hired out' by the Skaarj.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
hey the ut3 krall are cool. but they aren't really krall either.

I would like them a whole lot more if they were named differently. Much like i would like ut3 a whole lot more if it wasn't named ut3.

Yea, they should of been Skeletal Krall, Undead Krall or Necris Krall.

I dont think there is a great deal wrong with the krall in UT3 myself, they might not be the same as the krall of old but that doesnt make them bad (beats a blue elephant any day :lol:).

I do think the skaarj would be a welcome return perhaps even the odd nali here and there, for me having the skaarj in UC2 was one of the big reasons it still felt very unreal perhaps even more so than UC/UT2003. The gen mo kai were a nice addition but they didnt have that same feel as the skaarj or nali, I spose though not every Unreal game is going to be able to pack the whole of the universe in there because of its current scope.

UC2 was planned to have a Nali Warrior as well, but it was later replaced by Raiden...

Three things need to happen in terms of characters for the expansion.

-Malcom needs to be playable.
-Xan needs to be playable.
-Skaarj need to be playable.

If you would go to UT3's website and visit the characters section, you'd see that Malcolm already has taunts. So I guess that might happen.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I just don't understand what is wrong with them. Their body shape isn't that different.

Nah, it is, they still have the chicken legs, but other than that, they are very different overall, much more beefy (the Unreal Krall where scrawny little things compared to the Skaarj), the "horns" sticking out of them are more than 4 times as big, their head is very skull like and.. well i don't see a resemblence to the Unreal Krall there at all to be honest.

I also don't really care for their voices, in Unreal the Krall where portrayed as a less advanced species than the Skaarj, still in a "tribal" state, who had probably been conquered by the Skaarj or forced into working for them under very unfair terms, they where aggresive and hated the Skaarj, but they where not drooling chunks of meat that coulden't form a sentance, if you read their little books they where not geniuses, but neither where they cavemen who would say stuff like "me smell burned meat, me hungry!", that seems to fit a Brute better really, they where just giant hunks of meat that could shoot and grunt.

But this sort of thing happens all the time, tech advances, and developers think "hey cool, now we can make thease enemies like we had origionally wanted to make them!", but it's not met with enthusiasm from the fans, because we didn't know thouse enemies where not as planned, we took them at face value and grew to like them as they where, and thus, any changes in them is not something we take to easilly.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Altroughout Unreal1 the Krall always appeared to be fairly intelligent while in UT3 they appeares to have been lobotomized by a sledgehammer...

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

Yeah I just dont get why Epic felt the need to explain respawning in a warlike scenario, explaining it away in a tourney environment like in UC2 made alot more sense to me. (Infact CTF in a war makes no sense what so ever anyways :lol:)

Because everything needs to be explained nowadays. George Lucas decided he needed to explain the force, Epic decided they needed to explain away respawners, etc. Valve is the only ones that seem to realize a bit of mystery adds to appeal. Half-Life 2 and it's episodes didn't explain much of anything with everyone in game assuming you know what's going on and wasn't in G-Man's basement garage collecting dust, so while you pretend to know what's going on you're left to swing a crowbar at mysterious, mystic, and sometimes scary problems until they go away.

Yea, they should of been Skeletal Krall, Undead Krall or Necris Krall.

Trash compactor spewage.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nah, it is, they still have the chicken legs, but other than that, they are very different overall, much more beefy (the Unreal Krall where scrawny little things compared to the Skaarj), the "horns" sticking out of them are more than 4 times as big, their head is very skull like and.. well i don't see a resemblence to the Unreal Krall there at all to be honest.

I also don't really care for their voices, in Unreal the Krall where portrayed as a less advanced species than the Skaarj, still in a "tribal" state, who had probably been conquered by the Skaarj or forced into working for them under very unfair terms, they where aggresive and hated the Skaarj, but they where not drooling chunks of meat that coulden't form a sentance, if you read their little books they where not geniuses, but neither where they cavemen who would say stuff like "me smell burned meat, me hungry!", that seems to fit a Brute better really, they where just giant hunks of meat that could shoot and grunt.

But this sort of thing happens all the time, tech advances, and developers think "hey cool, now we can make thease enemies like we had origionally wanted to make them!", but it's not met with enthusiasm from the fans, because we didn't know thouse enemies where not as planned, we took them at face value and grew to like them as they where, and thus, any changes in them is not something we take to easilly.
I dunno, I don't think you've made a very strong case for your point :) Maybe the Krall from Unreal 1 are part of a different subspecies of Krall than the ones in UT3. Maybe the Krall in UT3 were crossbred with Izarians from Unreal 2 ;) Maybe this is just the result of taking the overall extremely low polygon model from Unreal 1 and updating it. Sorry, but you can't see that much detail in the originals.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
The next UT needs to have an epic storyline about Demoguy singlehandedly getting his balls kicked in and disappearing from the game.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.