Diablo III open beta weekend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Cool, thanks, downloading now.

Edit: Can't log in because of too much traffic. :lol:

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Error code 37... blizzard capped the amount of logins so they could fix their shit. Stress test is a success :lol:

I am loving the tears that people are producing over this. Give me more you impatient cows!!!

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Maybe they're just seeing how many idiot basement dwellers they can stress out.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
It looks like D3 isn't going to be sold on Steam. Is the Blizzard digital store, battle.net, considered reasonable, or does it have a bad reputation like Microsoft's and EA's?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So I ended up playing a decent amount and agree with some of the complaints I've read on the forums. This is based on playing the demon hunter just so you know, since the other classes have different skill systems afaik, but my complaints probably count for those classes too.

1. WAY too easy.

2. Inventory too big and WoW-like.

3. I don't really like the skill system for a variety of reasons, such as how it's modularized and simplified and doesn't allow uniqueness or personalization, everyone will have the same skills. I didn't really look at it much or mess around with it, but that's how it seems and that was one of the common complaints on the forum.

4. Your basic attack is a special ability that you can just spam forever, and it regenerates your "energy" for every shot. It's overkill imo, it would be nice if you had to strategically use basic attacks along with special abilities like in League of Legends or other MOBA's.

5. The regenerating energy for every shot part seems unbalanced towards weapons with higher attack speed and it encourages spamming the special ability even if there's nothing, basically "attacking the darkness".

Can't really think of anything else ATM, but I'm sure there was more. On a positive note, I love the graphics, has a nice painterly look to it. More realistic would have been cool too though, also darker. :eek:

It looks like D3 isn't going to be sold on Steam. Is the Blizzard digital store, battle.net, considered reasonable, or does it have a bad reputation like Microsoft's and EA's?

looooool

/facepalm

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just finished it with the Barbarian - I love me my melee classes

-As above the game was rather easy and I didn't even have to keep track of my health till I got to the Skeleton King.

-Graphics are pretty nice and textures seem to be clean and crisp. FPS is 60 constant unless physics start going like multiple pots being destroyed. This might be down to my processor being kinda crap.

-Being that I never played the past Diablo's, I can't comment on the leveling system, though I would imagine it would be similar to Titan Quest or even Torchlight. For the Barbarian at least I found myself only using Rend for Primary and the Hammer for secondary. Everything else just kinda sucked, but higher levels might yield better skills.

-Not sure if it was because it was beta, but I had ALOT of blues drop. A shield that gave me 50 armor before the crypt even, and a double handed axe that just tore through shit like butter.

-Didn't see anything wrong with the inventory and I am not sure how it was "wow" like? It might have been a bit too big, but you know I really wouldn't want to portal to town every dungeon or so just because I ran out of room prematurely.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
-Being that I never played the past Diablo's, I can't comment on the leveling system, though I would imagine it would be similar to Titan Quest or even Torchlight. For the Barbarian at least I found myself only using Rend for Primary and the Hammer for secondary. Everything else just kinda sucked, but higher levels might yield better skills.

-Not sure if it was because it was beta, but I had ALOT of blues drop. A shield that gave me 50 armor before the crypt even, and a double handed axe that just tore through shit like butter.

-Didn't see anything wrong with the inventory and I am not sure how it was "wow" like? It might have been a bit too big, but you know I really wouldn't want to portal to town every dungeon or so just because I ran out of room prematurely.

Yeah, like I said, the skill system seems so simplified that everyone will end up being a cookie cutter clone.

About the magic items, it's normal for a Diablo game. In fact, it seems like the drops are waaaay less than Diablo 2. Did you find any rares? (yellow)

On the inventory, if you haven't played the other Diablo games then you're not used to how it used to be. I meant WoW-like as in everything is the exact same size (besides belts) and there's 100 slots. :lol: The inventory being big isn't the root of the problem though, being able to teleport to town at any time is, they might as well just give us infinite inventory space. :p Meh.

These things are minor complaints though, my main one would be the cookie cutter character builds and silly skill system. I hope that it's better at final release.

Edit: I happened to go read up on Torchlight 2 just now, and now I'm starting to have hopes for that game as a replacement. Made by former Blizzard North employees and people are saying their games such as Torchlight have more of a Diablo feel than Diablo 3. :eek: I never played it though.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yeah, like I said, the skill system seems so simplified that everyone will end up being a cookie cutter clone.

About the magic items, it's normal for a Diablo game. In fact, it seems like the drops are waaaay less than Diablo 2. Did you find any rares? (yellow)

On the inventory, if you haven't played the other Diablo games then you're not used to how it used to be. I meant WoW-like as in everything is the exact same size (besides belts) and there's 100 slots. :lol: The inventory being big isn't the root of the problem though, being able to teleport to town at any time is, they might as well just give us infinite inventory space. :p Meh.

These things are minor complaints though, my main one would be the cookie cutter character builds and silly skill system. I hope that it's better at final release.

Never got any yellows, but my entire inventory was comprised of blues, sans the ring slots and shoulder pads.

As for the warp, I appreciated that in Titan Quest and I appreciate it in this game. Having to backtrack through a 4 level dungeon plus whatever land is between you and the nearest town would be god fucking awful. Get to town, sell your shit or whatever, and get back into the action.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I had some fun with this. I too, went with a demon hunter, but am also looking to give the witch doctor a whirl.

Looking forward to release.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
The whole "require internet to play" thing is complete horse shit.

My experience thus far: download 14%: error : download 11% : corrupt : download 12%: error : download 10% : corrupt : download 14%: error : download 13% : corrupt : etc etc etc all god damn day. Can you imagine client patch/update days?

I finally get it downloaded only to get...yes! error 3004 or something stupid, when I click play! I click it again..and again...and again...and again for who knows how long. Finally I log in. By the way this is at 6am. How many people are going to be on at that time to really stress things out? Enough to mess my game up apparently.

I play the game for a minute or two and find my way to the Inn to talk to that chick and then everything stops moving. A minute or two later the game catches up and boom! I'm dead. Restart at nearest checkpoint. It does this a couple more times and I say F that and quit.

This experience better be because of the stress test. If it's like this at final release than LOL! Blizzard can kiss my ass.

Last edited:

d3tox

Apr 8, 2008
Never got any yellows, but my entire inventory was comprised of blues, sans the ring slots and shoulder pads.

As for the warp, I appreciated that in Titan Quest and I appreciate it in this game. Having to backtrack through a 4 level dungeon plus whatever land is between you and the nearest town would be god fucking awful. Get to town, sell your shit or whatever, and get back into the action.

I got leoric to drop some nice yellow boots. For a minute, I was wondering if Identification would be in the game at all. This yellow set of boots actually required identification, and all that was needed was right click and a little time like town portal does.

I do really like how they limited the amount of work that some of that little stuff induced. The simplification they did with the potions, town portal and identification is very nice.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
This experience better be because of the stress test. If it's like this at final release than LOL! Blizzard can kiss my ass.

I can almost 100% guarantee that this is your computers fault. :lol:

I got leoric to drop some nice yellow boots. For a minute, I was wondering if Identification would be in the game at all. This yellow set of boots actually required identification, and all that was needed was right click and a little time like town portal does.

I do really like how they limited the amount of work that some of that little stuff induced. The simplification they did with the potions, town portal and identification is very nice.

But at that point why even keep identification in? It's just for nostalgia or to give an illusion of purpose. Similar could be said about the portal/selling/salvage issue. :p

d3tox

Apr 8, 2008
But at that point why even keep identification in? It's just for nostalgia or to give an illusion of purpose. Similar could be said about the portal/selling/salvage issue. :p

It could be nostalgia, but identification could also be a game mechanic needed to make sure items like that can't be instantly equipped upon dropping.

Town portal is necessary IMO, in my first playthrough I've already had a couple spots where I filled my inventory and needed it to empty. (I was picking up everything.) I think having it this way actually ensures your not as dependent on it, and will actually ratchet up the difficulty of the game later on.

As for the selling/salvage thing, half then fun in diablo is looting, and you have to have some mechanic to turn the junk into something useful, whether it be gold, crafting or whatever. The crafting part I can see as something people might not care for, but it does ensure you're not held back because of a hole in your equipment. Some may not need it, and from what I've seen the crafted stuff will be subpar to the looted stuff, so its only that role you're filling.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I play the game for a minute or two and find my way to the Inn to talk to that chick and then everything stops moving. A minute or two later the game catches up and boom! I'm dead. Restart at nearest checkpoint. It does this a couple more times and I say F that and quit.

Did you happen to check your latency when that happened? I had a few times where I would start walking and then instantly warp back a few feet. Kinda like the rubberbanding in Titan Quest, but this was more like a lag spike.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Eh, I like the skill system. Why should it need to be complicated? You pick your skills and your runes from the available set for your level. No big deal.

Really disappointed that it's not only that you need to connect to play but that you're actually playing online. Just seems wrong to me.

I also miss having two weapon sets. And I wish you could have some keys to swap between equipped left/right click skills.

As far as difficulty goes, I am pretty sure it's on a low setting. I didn't check the difficulty.

Anyway, overall it was a pretty cool experience. I got to the Skeleton King and I almost killed him before the servers shut down.