Still Holding Out Hope For UT3 Linux Client, Editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
elmuerte:
Sorry, but I don'g get where you're coming from at all.

Why on Earth would other game developers need a Linux port of the UT3 client specifically? Should they sit around playing UT3 on Linux instead of developing their own games? And please explain to me what Pixar (who isn't even a game dev, but I digress) or anyone else running Linux on their redering farms is going to do with a Linux UT3 client. Maybe I'm the thick one here, I dunno.

UT3 for linux would be an example that UnrealEngine3 would run well on the linux platform. Which makes it an interesting piece of middleware for others. The investment for Epic to make the linux port might very well be much less than the returned investment from companies that want to use UnrealEngine3 on a linux system.

Quite some people tend to forget that a game engine is also very well suitable for non-game projects.

Every product that Epic releases is an example of what the UnrealEngine can do. Any product others release which use the UnrealEngine is an example of what others can do with the UnrealEngine.

Last edited:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
IronMonkey: Thanks, that is the exact set of statements I was referring to but was too lazy to lookup.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Deapblade:
That's not called sarcasm, it's called "business." You don't waste money on negligible markets if you're going for mass appeal.

I think Severin made the best point yet. Maybe they should do it merely because they said they would. In this case, throwing money at something that nobody will use may be worth it just to protect your good name and reputation.

no nuance = no realism

Grogan

Thanks once again, Hal. It's reassuring to see something said about it. I very much want a Linux client for UT3... I'd play it a Hell of a lot more if I didn't have to reboot to Windows. (could sneak in a few rounds here and there while procrastinating getting work done :) )

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
Thanks once again, Hal. It's reassuring to see something said about it. I very much want a Linux client for UT3... I'd play it a Hell of a lot more if I didn't have to reboot to Windows. (could sneak in a few rounds here and there while procrastinating getting work done :) )

yeah as much as I like windows for supporting all my games, linux is just so much faster to boot and work with :)