UT99 Remake Maplist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
That map is not based on the UT99 version of orbital, but the Ut2004 version, so I think you should remove it from your list.
Thanks for taking the time to point that out, how ever I was aware of that.
I have been thinking of expanding the list to include all UT2004 map remakes as well. I have also debated on the orbital remake myself already. My thought on it is that the UT2004 was a remake of the UT99 Version, and the UT3 version layout wise is identical to the 2k4 version. Thus technically it is a remake in principle of the same map. How ever I will make a slight change to the list. Take a look.

Also, this version of Morbias kicks the crap out of the epics version imo.
Give me an forum link where screen shots are available, and I will add that version to the list.

Well I've finished off the cargo room:
And I added some more in the space around the ship. You can see the giant metal structure in this last shot. It rotates and looks cool :lol:
Looking very sexy, I think the lighting still needs to be a lot more dynamic, more so under the crane, and lift. Keep up the great work.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
A couple new in-editor shots of some of the changes I made to the cargo room in DM-Oblivion. Click on 'em for the bigger versions.
Looks good! I'd love it if you could make a wormgate skybox like the original level had :)

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Thanks for taking the time to point that out, how ever I was aware of that.
I have been thinking of expanding the list to include all UT2004 map remakes as well. I have also debated on the orbital remake myself already. My thought on it is that the UT2004 was a remake of the UT99 Version, and the UT3 version layout wise is identical to the 2k4 version. Thus technically it is a remake in principle of the same map. How ever I will make a slight change to the list. Take a look.

I figured so, but still for some reason I pointed it out anyway. :p

Give me an forum link where screen shots are available, and I will add that version to the list.
Screenshots...well you see the thread on Epic forums about it is from November of last year and the map is by fuegerstef which if I remember correctly got all mad about six months ago and completely disappeared from UT existence I even believe he deleted all links/pictures on his site to his content, so I can't really get you pictures on a forum of the map. I did however, find a fly-by of the level.

Click here for the fly-by.

KillBait!

Feb 15, 2006
A quick updated shot of Kosov..

Still a long way off being finished.. but starting to get the look about right

Fetid is on hold for the mo.. Due to a bug in the catalyst drivers, even loading the map into the editor causes my PC to BSOD. Until i can find a workaround or AMD fix the ati3duag.dll problem.. progress will be slow on that one..

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
http://www.map-factory.org/31-ut3/1-deathmatch/914-dm-fst-morbias
Although I think it is NOT good (I made the map) and tried to get it down whereever I can you might add it to the list. :)
Thank you, I will add it to the list. : )

Screenshots...well you see the thread on Epic forums about it is from November of last year and the map is by fuegerstef.
I did however, find a fly-by of the level.
Thanks I would add that one, but look at the above quote. :p So I'll add that link instead.

A quick updated shot of Kosov..
Still a long way off being finished.. but starting to get the look about right
Looking good thus far, lighting and water bug me. But that's just me, and not quality wise.

Fetid is on hold for the mo..
Blasphemy! :p Hope it gets finished/fixed in not to long though I was really looking forward to it.

Woo! Just released Beta 3. Go check it out :D
Awesome, keep it up. Still lighting looks bland, and based on pics that structure outside the ship that you added looks buggy. Keep up the great work.

I'll update the list and try the maps shortly, working on a few things. Including a 2k3/2k4 maplist.

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
Awesome, keep it up.
Thanks for the support!

Still lighting looks bland
I'm really curious about what part of the lighting you think looks bland. The few others I've talked to have said the lighting is great but multiple opinions are always a good thing.

Do you have any specific examples of things I should change?

based on pics that structure outside the ship that you added looks buggy.
It's not. It emits a ripply-looking effect as it spins plus it's al ittle dark so it looks like it blends in to the star and it just looks a little funny in a still screenshot. It looks a lot better in motion.

Last edited:

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Thanks for the support!
Do you have any specific examples of things I should change?
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2903/examplevk4.png
I think that is the best example, but their or plenty of other area's that are lacking to, in general the maps lighting is to subtle. Needs some defined contrast. The light you did by the barrels is pretty good.

It's not. It emits a ripply-looking effect as it spins plus it's al ittle dark so it looks like it blends in to the star and it just looks a little funny in a still screenshot. It looks a lot better in motion.
Ah I see, in my opinion still looked better plain, as the structure doesn't make much sense, (realistically thinking). :p

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
Well the light hanging from the crane lights the top of the ion cannon it's holding so it doesn't look like flat black and all of the bright yellow light on the floor of the cargo room comes from the sun (which is behind you when you're at the angle you took the screenshot from).

And I didn't light the bottom of what the crane was holding needed to be lit, I figured if you were on the ship moving it around from the controls that wouldn't matter to you. It'd actually be worse because there was a potential for broken lights if you set it down wrong :p

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
and all of the bright yellow light on the floor of the cargo room comes from the sun (which is behind you when you're at the angle you took the screenshot from).
The light looks to artificial then for it to be sun light. Try placing it out side the ship inline with the sun, then the the light very light (more white(clear) than yellow) not to mention intense.

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
The light looks to artificial then for it to be sun light. Try placing it out side the ship inline with the sun, then the the light very light (more white(clear) than yellow) not to mention intense.

I'll try some stuff out. The "sun" lighting is a few big point lights coming from right outside the ship so it sorta cheats the whole coming-from-the-sun type of light, but I'll try making 'em a bit more intense (and bigger because some of the bigger parts of the cargo room aren't lit up by them like they should be i.e. the top of the glass structure and such).

Also, if I changed it to a giant dynamic light would it hurt performance a lot? I'm just thinking that would be good way for me to light up the rotating metal thing and he cargo room in with one light.

EDIT: Tried using a dynamic light and it ends up getting blocked by the rotating thing so it turn the room dark (which is kinda cool...) but it does it way after it's passed the point where the light is coming from so the sun is still visible when it goes dark :p
So I changed it back to a static light.

Last edited:

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
I'll try some stuff out. The "sun" lighting is a few big point lights coming from right outside the ship so it sorta cheats the whole coming-from-the-sun type of light, but I'll try making 'em a bit more intense (and bigger because some of the bigger parts of the cargo room aren't lit up by them like they should be i.e. the top of the glass structure and such).

Also, if I changed it to a giant dynamic light would it hurt performance a lot? I'm just thinking that would be good way for me to light up the rotating metal thing and he cargo room in with one light.

EDIT: Tried using a dynamic light and it ends up getting blocked by the rotating thing so it turn the room dark (which is kinda cool...) but it does it way after it's passed the point where the light is coming from so the sun is still visible when it goes dark :p
So I changed it back to a static light.
All the more reason to remove it in my opinion. :p
But if you want to keep it, you could try placing the light directly in front of the structure. Cuts back on a lighting realism currently not even present, so not losing anything in that concept. :p

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Almost all of those maps should have and would have been remade by now, but they haven't been remade. What does that tell you? For that matter, I have a remake of my best UT99 CTF map all cut out and textured and sitting on the cutting room floor because I lost interest in making UT3 maps.

Why do you think that anyone would invest the large amount of time needed to make custom maps for a game that very few people play? It might even make more sense to make new CTF maps for UT99 at this point since more people are playing UT99 CTF (perhaps more than for all UT3 game types combined).

I hate to keep bashing UT3 and pointing out the obvious, but on these forums I've seen many people who post as though UT3 is still a viable game. I'm a big UT99 and UT 2004 lover and I even liked the basic game play of UT3 and wanted it it to succeed, but many people on these forums seem to be (willfully?) evading reality. ("They'll be new maps soon!" "Why aren't (more people from a small UT3 player pool) playing CTF?")

That having been said, I do applaud those dedicated mappers who still want to map for UT3 even though they might be enabling Epic's behavior and supporting the game on consoles and thus the further consolization (and destruction) of the series. Guys, if you're going to make customs, please cook them only for the PC and in your readme make note that you object to anyone's converting them to PS3 or XBox.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I hate to keep bashing UT3 and pointing out the obvious

Do you really?

but on these forums I've seen many people who post as though UT3 is still a viable game.

How about we all get past the part where it has to be viable and just try to hold together a group of semi-regular players so that it's possible to find at least one game when you check the server browser? How about we stop beating a dead horse and just get on with it?

Yes, it sucks that things are where they are but at this point, with all of the bashing that has gone on, we - the community and Epic - all get it. Everything else beyond that is self-gratification and is not helpful.

I stuck with playing Unreal right up until Unreal Tournament and the similarities and differences are remarkable:

- Unreal: great game, big multiplayer problems
- UT3: great game, big multiplayer problems

The differences? The tiny community that was left over after the fallout just enjoyed playing the game and supported it any way that they could. We didn't sit around on the forums and complain endlessly about things that were done and over.

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
I hate to keep bashing UT3 and pointing out the obvious, but on these forums I've seen many people who post as though UT3 is still a viable game. I'm a big UT99 and UT 2004 lover and I even liked the basic game play of UT3 and wanted it it to succeed, but many people on these forums seem to be (willfully?) evading reality. ("They'll be new maps soon!" "Why aren't (more people from a small UT3 player pool) playing CTF?")

I am a little confused at your post. you said you liked the gameplay and wanted it to succeed but the reality is that no one plays it so therefore you dont like it?

Those UT99 days wont be back and I can live with it. I like UT3 and will enjoy it when I can.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I am a little confused at your post. you said you liked the gameplay and wanted it to succeed but the reality is that no one plays it so therefore you dont like it?

I do like the game play. It's everything else that surrounds it that's bad--the server browser (improved some since the release), the user interface, how it handles the downloading of custom maps, the organization of files in folders, the map vote menu, having to log into Gamespy, etc. I like the game play but don't like the overall package. Does that make sense?

Last edited: