Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Van Helsing, 2/10

Feh. Filler plot, filler characters, deus ex machina action scenes that makes everything feel pointless.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Yeah, hot chicks and the frankenstein monster was the 2. The rest of it I found aggrivatingly bland and predictable.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Splice 7.5/10

For being a slightly unheard of movie, it was actually pretty decent.

It got a bit sick and twisted towards the end, which is just my style. ;)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Tron Legacy (3D)-6/10

I really thought the script was pretty weak. They kept trying to keep the plot tight to the original Tron film (which I can barely remember as I haven't seen it in years) and the whole thing ended up being confusing.

While the original Tron's graphics had a wow factor this film just looked like yet another digital render and green screen action film and the 3D wasn't that good in my opinion.

The real saving grace of this film was Daft Punk's soundtrack which fitted the mood perfectly.

Charlie Bartlett-7/10

I was expecting this to be a pretty standard teen angst film but it ended up being clever and delivering a lot more depth.

The good casting probably helped.

Hostage-6/10

A pretty average film which is only saved by really excellent and inventive camera work and and framing for composition. A few interesting plot twists but pretty predictable overall.

YouAreTheOrigin

I married jane.
Jan 26, 2011
^Yeah, Charlie Bartlett was a fun film. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the conversation on popularity between Charlie and the Principal.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
^Yeah, Charlie Bartlett was a fun film. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the conversation on popularity between Charlie and the Principal.
Downey Jnr. puts on another great performance in that role.

Big Daddy-1/10

I don't like Adam Sandler and the only reason I watched this lame flick is because I was staying in a hotel and, despite having fifty channels of cable, this was the only thing on worth watching (which is pretty lame in itself).

The only good thing about this crap film is that John Stuart has a small straight man role; otherwise this is Hollywood popcorn selling garbage.

Panic-3/10

A really average and predictable crime psychodrama. Don't bother with it.

Memphis Belle-9/10

I don't know how many times I've seen this and, in my opinion, it remains one of the best war movies.... ever.

Max Payne-5/10

I haven't played the game so I don't know if this movie has anything to do with the game really. It's interesting enough and looks good but it didn't really do enough to make it a memorable move experience. Average......

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Max Payne-5/10

I haven't played the game so I don't know if this movie has anything to do with the game really. It's interesting enough and looks good but it didn't really do enough to make it a memorable move experience. Average......

couldn't make myself watch the whole 'thing' but it spits right in the face of every Max Payne game fan like most gamemovies.
Max Payne should've been a 18+ violencefest in neo noire style, instead we got MarkyMark playing a decent cop.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
The Untouchables. This is what I like to call a truly awesome art direction and cinematography. There's so many memorable camera setups in the movie, they'd last for ten. Now, what's wrong with it? It's too easy. The little wimp charging a whole truckload full of thugs while inspiring music is playing? No, thanks. Kevin Costner being (there's no acting involved) a goody two-shoes, again? No, thanks. Sean Connery, in his death throes, just barely delivering the essential information? Oh, please. It's set in scene too richly to be effective as a serious gangster movie. In a way, it's half a Tarantino and when you go there, you either go all the way or not at all. (But yay for the slo-mo train station shootout!) 6/10

The Searchers. John Wayne's movie character is a racist cünt. A classic, okay, but politically and socially this hasn't aged terribly well. But the real problem lies in the way it's told, with parts being only loosely connected, downright weird and sometimes almost incoherent. Another gripe I have with the film is the acting: most of it is over-dramatic, ranging on silly. Finally, the bits of comic relief feel misplaced in their entirety - and there are a lot of them. It's almost a Western drama meets "Blazing Saddles". 6/10

Dom Za Vešanje (Time Of The Gypsies). If "The Godfather" was about gypsies, this is what it would look like. The film takes a good while to get started, but when it does, the audience is rewarded with some great camera work and a just as excellent soundtrack. There's not much to be surprised at in here if you've seen other Kusturica movies, and you will recognize lots of the symbols and stock characters that he keeps falling back on, but this one has the benefit of being an earlier work and establishing some of them in the first place. 9/10

The Jacket. Overusing form to portray content, this movie suffers from too many flashy flashbacks, sudden sound effects and stereotypical characters (that are also not developed believably). Below this, however, there's a decent story about guilt that involves a mindfück which may not be entirely logical, but enjoyable. 6/10

99euro-films. The idea: Making five minute shorts with a budget of 99€ each. A summary: Mark Schlichter's entry ("Privat") is godawful; Sebastian Beer ("[TM]") delivers more garbage; Rolf Peter Kahl ("Ich schwöre") joins in; Michael Klier ("Ein Mann boxt sich durch") is taking things up a little; Frieder Schlaich ("Die schöne Fremde") is trying for something different; Daniel Petersen ("So billig!")... oh well, let's not get into what he makes the audience suffer; Miriam Dehne ("Loreley S.") shocks with a new low; Matthias Glasner ("Die Selbsttötung der Sara W.") - make this stop please; but there's Peter Lohmeyer's episode ("Leila läuft") is the best of the bunch, with a few nice shots; Esther Gronenborn ("Balkan Rhapsody") annoys; Martin Walz ("Ein kurzer Film über das Hüpfen") offers more stupidity; and finally, Nicolette Krebitz ("Mon Chérie") is trying a little hard - but unlike most directors and writers included in here, she's at least trying. 2/10

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
3-Iron (Bin Jip) - 7/10

Quirky korean movie about someone who squats in people's homes and lives their lives. Has a plot beyond that, but tough to describe any of it without spoiling too much.

It's a bit one of "those" movies where you either nitpick things which don't make sense and write it all off, or enjoy digging into symbolism and find yourself philosophising over things. Being a pretentious hipster myself, I found the whole movie changed once a certain theory dawned on me.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Sanctum (3D)-7.5/10

A very good adventure film that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end titles.

This flick has, in my opinion, some of the best 3D I have seen in any film so far.

Unfortunately some oif the dialogue is pretty poorly written and very laboured.

Don't see this film if you suffer from claustrophobia.

Gandhi-8/10

A bit of masterpiece of historical storytelling. It's the first time of have seen this in many years. Epic.

Hot Tub Time Machine- 6/10

This flick was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Quite entertaining.

Collateral-8/10

This film stands up to countless re-screenings. In my opinion this is one of, if not the, best performances Tom Cruise has done.... period.

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Tron
Some nice special effects, but not special enough to compensate for the boring, predictable, and utterly illogical storyline. A meagre 6.5/10. Incidentally, this was the first movie I saw in the 'new' 3D, and as expected it's a gimmick that adds very little, and can even be a bit annoying at times. It will be interesting to see whether it will fade away like it has before, or will evolve into something more useful.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Unstoppable-7.5/10

Interesting story and an interesting film because it actually explains some of the technology and processes used in the rail industry.

Worth a look.

Signs-6.5/10

This is still one of Shyamalan's better films (and you can count the really good ones on one hand).

It's probably one of Mel Gibson's better performances too.

Always worth re-watching.

Alice In Wonderland-6/10

I'm really not sure about this film I can't remember but I'm pretty sure Lewis Carroll didn't imply a love interest between Alice and the Mad Hatter.

Visually an interesting film with some clever stuff (like Alice's size and costume changes) but 2D couldn't really save it and 2D makes it pretty average.....

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Mechanic 7.5/10

I hadn't seen any reviews so my expectations weren't all that great for this.

On the basis of the posters, I was expecting a Jason Statham film in which he plays a competent loner adept at "<insert occupation>" and possessed of certain scruples.

To some extent, that is what I got but fortunately there was a whole lot more in the package.

I'll have to be circumspect in order to avoid spoilers.

At its heart, the film is an enjoyable tromphe l'oeil.

It looks like it is character-driven with moral dilemma and non-cardboard characters but when all is said and down it turns out to have been a twisty plot-driven vehicle all along. The important point is that it gets to its end in a fashion that convinces as we go along.

The action is fine. A slight longueur after the intro action actually works to the benefit of the film by making it seem less like the action film than it really is.

The violence is rather extreme in places and certainly convincing enough to put off the squeamish.

I'm pretty certain I'll be buying the DVD...

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Enter The Void 8.5/10
I haven't watched Gaspar Noé's previous feature films so I can't comment on how this stacks up in terms of provocativeness, but it is one of the more graphic movies I've watched.
The plot is pretty simple, Oscar is a drug dealer living in Tokyo he gets shot and killed by the police after an embittered friend sets him up, the rest of the movie Oscar floats around Tokyo as a ghost. The movie is shot entirely from his point of view. I found the cinematography to be a beautifully dizzying mess of gorgeous overhead shots of night time Tokyo and psychedelic scenes reminiscent of 2001's hyper-gate scene. Also the film is governed more by stoner logic than plot so stoners will probably love this film. I know I did.