Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
For real horror I always recommend the descent to people. That is a damn fine film.

Eh, not really. I know people go bug**** over it and all. But yeah, kind of a silly movie imo. A little bit better than The Cave (the other cave movie that came out that year, although we got it before The Descent, even though the all-girl version came out in Europe first), but that's not saying much. A gory film, sure. But beyond that?

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
LAND OF THE LOST - 5/10

Not a great movie and very much a WIll Ferrel movie but it was entertaining enough. In places the cgi was pretty damned good i thought and the set design/locations were also rather impressive.

I liked how it homaged somewhat the old adventure movies like Journey to the centre of the earth and Sinbad.

... This may be Heath Ledger's last movie, but don't make that a reason to see it - this isn't an actor's film; he's only able to draw a nothing performance from a nothing character...

A disapointing review... I've yet too see it but you appreciate he died long before the movie was finished?

I feel sorry for Terry Gilliam in a way, he has rotten luck in movie making. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits are genius!

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Eh, not really. I know people go bug**** over it and all. But yeah, kind of a silly movie imo. A little bit better than The Cave (the other cave movie that came out that year, although we got it before The Descent, even though the all-girl version came out in Europe first), but that's not saying much. A gory film, sure. But beyond that?

I dunno man I loved everything about it. The tension, the jump moments, the claustrophobia! Dear lord that scene where she was crawling through that tight space had a room full of guys squirming.

The pacing too... First half tomb raider, second half horror, with hints of the horror cleverly placed throughout (one of the monsters is in full view in a corner of the screen well before you are supposed to see them).

And the acting for all of those no-names (at least in the US) was phenomenal.

And the ending! That's true horror right there. And to top it off by showing the picture taken earlier in the movie... That really struck a nerve with me.

But eh, different strokes for different folks. :)

I dunno man I loved everything about it. The tension, the jump moments, the claustrophobia! Dear lord that scene where she was crawling through that tight space had a room full of guys squirming.

The pacing too... First half tomb raider, second half horror, with hints of the horror cleverly placed throughout (one of the monsters is in full view in a corner of the screen well before you are supposed to see them).

And the acting for all of those no-names (at least in the US) was phenomenal.

And the ending! That's true horror right there. And to top it off by showing the picture taken earlier in the movie... That really struck a nerve with me.

But eh, different strokes for different folks. :)

Yeah, I know I'm obviously in the minority on this one. But it just didn't do it for me. There was one interesting scene in the beginning that took me by surprise (the accident), but I didn't know any of the characters yet so it was more of a "oh snap" moment. I question highly this assertion that the acting was "phenomenal." Really? Phenomenal? I'll grant you that the script was more thought out than a Friday the 13th flick, but all the characters were pretty forgettable, and once they started getting offed I wasn't really invested in their plight.

See, this is the fundamental turning point in horror films for me. If you can't get me to like the characters, I accept the fact that I won't feel any tension when they're stuck in a sticky situation....and then I have to hope that at least the film will have other elements to keep me interested. But really, The Descent just turned into another "Awww Blood!" movie. And that might have been fine with me if any of it was particularly clever in how it was staged or executed. However, all I remember from this was buckets of cough syrup blood (sigh), some standard issue bludgeoning and cannibalism...and yet another eye-gouging in a decade where I've seen way too many eye-gouges already. Yes, it's pretty much a given that eye-gouging is universally acknowledged as that one bit of brutality that gets most people. But there's a smart way to do violence in a movie that unnerves people, and what directors like Neil Marshal don't understand is that simply showing it in a blunt fashion using all the same rubber tube geyser spurts and prosthetic deformation audiences have seen a thousand times just banks on the "revolting factor", and nothing else. And that's lazy horror. Yeah, it gets the teeny boppers shrieking and makes the black folks in the audience cheer. But it's a last resort. In the end I thought it was like watching a Saw movie, another bit of horror cinema that takes itself way too seriously. I knew all the characters were simply there to get butchered, and that's exactly what happened. It's hard for me to feel tense when the you know there's a monster waiting for the uninteresting people walking down the dark hallway (or crawling through the dark cave). Plus, there was no way for me to get spooked by the monster men once I got a look at one of them. They looked like the Reapers from Blade 2, only naked. Then it was almost funny to see them, because that was all I could think about.

In the end all I got from the flick was that it was simply an excuse to throw gross substances on girls and put them in brutal death scenarios that look like sexual innuendos. You know, because horror flicks haven't done that since the beginning of time. I'm a firm believer that the horror genre is one of the most time-tested and effective methods of commenting on human fear and highlighting our darkest and greatest aspects as a species. But what I got with this flick was not a clever horror story, but an exploitative horror story that falsely presents itself as a clever one. In my book, there's more honor in facing up to what your material really is than trying to ham in all the pretentiousness when all else fails. Coincidentally, I found a couple of other movies I've seen by Neil Marshal (Doomsday and Dog Soldiers) much better than this one for precisely this reason; he laid off the pretension and just made entertaining flicks, even if they weren't perfect.

Yeah, I'm in the minority. But on this one I think it's more of a case of me being right and everyone else being wrong and that's the story I'm sticking to ;)

Last edited:

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Zombieland: 9/10

Not a perfect movie by any means, but they did a fantastic job & didn't try take things too seriously.

Extremely entertaining; i'd recommend to anyone, but especially zombie fans & L4D players :D

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Yeah, I know I'm obviously in the minority on this one. But it just didn't do it for me. There was one interesting scene in the beginning that took me by surprise (the accident)...

I wasn't aware the movie had a particularly big following.
I thought it was okay, more or less the same as you.nothing special though. Thougth the ending was a little cheezy really. Was entertaining enough but meh.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Moon-8/10

This is return to the classic sci-fi format big time. Take a bit of Silent Running, a little Dark Star and throw in all the good stuff that sci-fi movie making was about in earlier times and you have this film.

A great homage to those days..............

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Moon-8/10

This is return to the classic sci-fi format big time. Take a bit of Silent Running, a little Dark Star and throw in all the good stuff that sci-fi movie making was about in earlier times and you have this film.

A great homage to those days..............

I think even if you put that aside it really stands out as a very good, interesting film.

I really do mean 'spoiler' with the stuff below, so for the love of god don't mouse-over if you haven't seen it...
Has a fresh and interesting take on the ethics of cloning that's never really been done on the big screen before to my knowledge.
Made for $5m!

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Saw VI - 8/10

I may be in the minority when it comes to the series, but I thought this one was pretty good. Like Saw 1-3 ended Johns story arch, 4-6 end Hoffmans arc, but in a surprising twist that even I really didn't see coming. Those who wish death upon the series might as well put a lid on it as Saw VII is coming and will be in 3-d :rolleyes:. Basically if you are a fan, this movie won't turn you off(4 almost did that for me), and if you never cared this won't change your mind.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Coraline 9/10

Well worth the watch. ENjoyed it a lot.

S.Darko 5/10

Not so woth the watch.
Don't get me wrong, it's an okay film... it's just... it's like they lifted the basic premise of the first one and just dumped them in a new scenario and tried a little too ahrd tro make it a bit more complex and all they really achieve is to make what was originally quite interesting and entertaining... quite dull.

Two people "Do the time warp again!" one of which had no reason to know how too having never had visions or anything... they just did it... then the main one who does as Donnie did and makes the past viewing experience entirely irrelevant had no real reason to want to do it except to save the life of someone he barely knew.
They also had to include another "Person with faith who abuses children" because people with faith couldn't possibly be innocent... also after all that the little boy still ends up trapped in the mine shaft whilst the ditzy moron draws heart shapes on a bus window...

I think they just wanted to film a couple of girls rolling around in hot pants for a few days. If you like girls wandering around in their pyjamas/hot pants, this movie is for you.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Clay Pigeons. I saw this a little while ago and forgot to write about it earlier. The movie starts off rather well, but can't hold up the initial quality. Some of the cinematography is neat, but the script is mostly forgettable and forced. Vince Vaughn shines as the insane, yet strangely charming - in a hillbilly kind of way - series murderer, Joaquin Phoenix holds up reasonably and Janeane Garofalo does her sarcastic and independent woman routine - and she does it well. 6/10

The Bourne Ultimatum. What I said about the other two Bourne movies applies. Other than that: a little too in-your-face with the political message. I really like Bourne's hand-to-hand combat style. This one got its fair amount of unbelievable details: the central training facility for the secret government program is in the middle of Manhattan. Evil guys sure don't shy away from costs. 7/10

Chasing Amy. Guys are stupid. And this is my favourite Kevin Smith movie to date - I'm usually not the biggest fan of his work. 8/10

Whisky mit Wodka. Most promising movie title ever? Perhaps. A lovely new production my one of my favourite German directors, Andreas Dresen, starring Henry Hübchen, one of my favourite German actors. Giving the film business an amusing lashing and declaring unconditional love to the medium film at the same time, Dresen brings out the best out of a great cast - supported by a very good script. And there's plenty of the alcohol abuse that the movie title promises. 9/10

Free Rainer. Godwin's Law after half an hour. Horrible dialogues, horrible characters and even worse acting. Trying hard, and failing hard, to be funny. Technology is portrayed in a manner that is so ridiculous, that it couldn't even hold up in a kids movie. The critique of modern television is too blunt and unoriginal to have any real merit - once again it shows that political movies that try nothing more than being political fail. Most retarded scene: a lot of people that used to be dumbed down by the media are happily sitting together in a park and reading. Pass me the bucket. 3/10

The Hurt Locker. I was disappointed. The main character didn't fit into the rest of the more realistic and gritty depiction of the Iraq war at all, instead he seemed to be taken right out of any standard Hollywood action flick. The "deeper" aspect of his character and his development was entirely foreseeable and not all that interesting. That's also mostly what broke the movie for me, as the rest was rather solid work. 6/10

Suspicion. Not my favourite Hitchcock by far, as the script doesn't really stand out, but the classic Hitchcockian storytelling elements and themes are very prominent here - and that's a good thing. Also, I love Cary Grant. 7/10

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Un prophète 9/10
I think I can safely assert that this is the best movie I've seen this year. Seriously if you get the chance go see it, but according to imdb it still isn't in theaters in most of the world. Anyway the movie is about a north african (as far as I can tell from his accent Algeria) who goes to a french prison develops mob ties and comes out a mafia kingpin. It all sounds cliche but there is much more going on than just that. You must watch this movie.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The abyss:

BBC documentary combined with "deep ocean" (which was terrific btw). This one is the complete opposite, as you feel that you the viewer are being left out. The scientists seem to have a comfortable conversation going on, with inside jokes and ha-ha. And the things they find in the deep of the ocean seems to put them in a very euphoric mood but... not once in 50 minutes was I able to show/feel any interest. At all. The slider finally crawled toward the end. And suddenly one of the scientists (which was the narrator with a very boring, irritating voice) finished with a simple "bye for now" and that was it.

Half of the underwater scenes also contained the irritating noise made by their heavy "submersibles".

Lousy documentary.

Wolverine: 7/10

Started out fine, but quite frankly it could've been much better. I figured wolverine would have been more violent in his early life. More ferocious. The original claws look so fragile. (I haven't read "origins" yet, so I don't know how accurate it is.. or should be).
Could've been better.

Immortals: 8/10

Based on a story "lady in blue" by enki bilal. I've always been intrigued by his art. But I haven't read the books yet. So I'm not sure, again, how close the movie is to the original story.
It most certainly felt quite apart. Set in the N.Y. of the year 2095, a (in my eyes) truly horrific future where everyone is obsessed with manipulating genes.

From imdb (I'm too lazy now):

New York 2095. In a strange pyramid floating in the sky, the gods of ancient Egypt are judging Horus. In the city, a young women with blue hair and tears is arrested, but she has a secret power, even to herself..

Partially filmed with real people, and mixed with 3D characters. But I think it worked.
Truly a special movie.

Taxi driver: 10

Do they still make movies like this... :/ or am I not looking hard enough. An amazing robert de niro (I'm almost his age, he was 34) and a young jodie foster. And a stunningly beautiful cybil shepperd (sometimes I forgot how beautiful she was).
Second or third viewing, I don't know. Always worth watching.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Mirrormask-6/10

A children's story for kids of all ages. While this movie has exceptional visual style and delivers that style well it falls won pretty much on the storyline and thin, insubstantial plot.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Wall-E 10/10
Just picked this up on BluRay and while I've seen it before it blew me away again. Seriously, this is one of my favorite films of ever. It's sci-fi, it's an animated adventure, it's a love story, and it's fun fun fun and yet it is also a surprisingly acute social commentary. In all seriousness, if I ever write something half as successful as this movie is, I will be a very, very happy man.

Paranormal Activity - 6/10

Surprisingly, this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It had all the makings of the kind of film style that bores me cross-eyed. Hand-held shaky cam horrors made on shoestring budgets with minimalist principles haven't interested me since I saw The Blair Witch Project, and I enjoyed that one mostly for its novelty (and to date, it's the one of few of these kinds of films that understood the principle of putting characters you can enjoy for 90 minutes...which is extremely important when you're making a documentary-style flick). On that point, Paranormal Activity doesn't exactly deliver gold. But the goober husband and the housewife never really lost me, and though they do their part selling the young couple with a ghost problem routine (although to refer to it as a ghost problem is misleading) they don't make it boring. It does follow formula, of course. There is a twenty minute introductory section or so where we meet the couple and get a sense of what's to come, the middle-section where the meat of the movie occurs, and the climax...which never seems to be worth the wait in any of these movies. Granted, the film isn't a bust with the ending. But it certainly doesn't end strong. At the beginning we know that "this is a true story" and that all these events have been recorded before hand and "found" later. Never a good sign for the protagonists. With the exception of say, Cloverfield, I went into this expecting the YouTube budget...so there was always a sense that my foreboding could only have possibly extended to a certain point. And surprisingly...this one maintained a certain kind of suspension there in the middle, at least for me. I can't say I was truly scared or frightened (C'mon. Really?), but I was definitely intrigued with what was happening in a morbid kind of candid camera sort of way.

Phenomena - 7/10

You might know this as Creepers in the states, and if you do then you also know that this was probably Jennifer Connolly's biggest role before she starred opposite David Bowie in Labyrinth. As a big Argento fan, a big Connolly fan, and a big Donald Pleasence fan...it's easy for me to ignore the obvious cheese factor in this mid-eighties slasher, so my thoughts on it are admittedly biased. I saw this originally in my youth in its trimmer, American cut (which means they chopped the fat out of the boring parts and a few precious seconds in all the gross scenes). But even then I enjoyed it. This film is notable for having a bunch of really crazy scenes towards the end and excessive plot points. Besides the fact that jailbait Connolly is attending a boarding school where a killer is on the loose that murders girls with...a harpoon, dart gun kinda thing, there's also a subplot about her character being able to communicate telepathically with bugs. Yeah. It sounds bad. But it's not. It's awesomely bad. Emphasis on the awesome. Hosting an oddball soundtrack of eighties synths and awkwardly timed Iron Maiden and other pop-culture tracks, the real reason to watch this is for the climax...which just has the most spontaneous crap occur out of nowhere. Yep, it's a guilty pleasure.

The Satanic Rites of Dracula - 5/10

Known under a different title in America, this is one of the last (or the last) Dracula movie with Christoper Lee in the starring role. I'm a big fan of Lee, and of Peter Cushing, who stars opposite Lee as Van Helsing. But it's clear that whatever steam Lee built up in his stint as Dracula in the two decades or so he portrayed him had been spent by this point. He basically spends this one sitting out, and when he is there all he really does is a whole lot of looming, a bit of monologuing, and then closes the film by strolling into a thorny bush to be toe-tagged in a very casual manner by Cushing. It's not a bad movie, especially...and I emphasis especially...given the material. The script is well enough, and because it's a largely English cast they of course spend most of the film standing around, talking...and drinking tea. Boring comes to mind. They flash some nudity in there to wake you up, and there are some fleeting moments of decent kill shots. But for the most part it's pretty ho-hum.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Paranormal Activity - 8/10

I really liked it. It was pretty damn creepy, IMO. Would've been higher if the dude wasn't annoying.

Katie standing there looking at Micah for hours was f*cked up. Also, the part where she got dragged outta bed was creepy.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Immortals: 8/10

Based on a story "lady in blue" by enki bilal. I've always been intrigued by his art. But I haven't read the books yet. So I'm not sure, again, how close the movie is to the original story.
It most certainly felt quite apart. Set in the N.Y. of the year 2095, a (in my eyes) truly horrific future where everyone is obsessed with manipulating genes.

Could be a translation issue but I always thought it's the Nikopol Saga. I must say that I disliked the movie and it's a really sad shadow of the gorgeous comic book. Bilal rules because he's so much like the artist Möbius.