Thanks...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

the_mjw

The First MJW
Sep 7, 2004
Colorado
HA!

QAPete said:
ETA until HL2 becomes old news: 6 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes....

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

That is the truth.

I also agree with the others on this site concerning the fact that HL2 and UT2K4 are different kinds of games entirely. They are pretty much different genres as a matter of fact.

When UT99 came out, it created a sub-genre of the first person shooter. It was the first major, professionally designed FPS made entirely for multiplay only. Sure there is a single-player campaign, but it's a joke. That's not what UT is made for and it never will be. UT is about experiencing fast, no frills shooting with other people. That fact, not a cutting-edge engine, is what makes UT great.

HL2 on the other hand is a completely different experience. It's about cinematic storytelling woven into a linear gameplay experience. It's classic FPS gameplay on steroids with a great tale to back it up. This kind of gaming experience is crucial to the survival and evolution of gaming as the artform of the 21st century. The gaming industry needs things like this to push the envelope, or we'll never grow.

Neither experience is "better" than the other. I think they are both paradigm examples of separate crafts. Both should be experienced for their respective greatness, but never compared.

As for me, I will wait for my free copy of HL2 from my ATI card mail-in deal. By then, I will be done with Metroid Prime 2 Echoes:notworthy:, and ready for another great single player experience to complement my multiplayer experience in UT2004.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
bid said:
I'll never buy a game with Nazi-like copy protection schemes that require you to activate the game online before you can play the game.

I'll never give my money to a greedy, evil, corporation.

I'll wait for the hassle-free cracked version.
If you have such a bad attitude to copy protection then I would probably be correct in saying that you wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

bid said:
So you suggest I support Valve, and encourage their Nazi behavior? If Valve's Nazi tactics is successful, it will become the default business model for the gaming industry.

BTW: I don't support piracy; I support common sense.
Actually you do support piracy and no you do not have common sense as all can plainly see. I hope this does become the default business model for the industry because it will mean my job in games retail will be secure and *******s like you will actually contribute to the industry that I so love and not destroy it.

I really hope you get banned you worthless piece of ****.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Mas said:
So guys, does anyone know what stores in the UK are stocking the collectors edition ?

And has anyone bought it over steam, can u backup the game on to cd/dvd afer you have downloaded it?

1 - not yet

2 - Yes, yes.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
keaukrine said:
But ppl says that HL2 engine is just a modified (larger textures, lighting etc.) HL1 engine, which is actually Quake2 engine.
So you are buying a *VERY* advanced game, guys.
Half-Life 2 was developed with the Source engine, which is completely different from the Quake engines. Valve started developing a new engine from scratch several years ago.

However, yes, the Source engine is one of the most advanced 3D game engines out there, if not the most advanced.

Of course, there are many more things to a game than the engine/graphics.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
TossMonkey said:
If you have such a bad attitude to copy protection then I would probably be correct in saying that you wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

Actually you do support piracy and no you do not have common sense as all can plainly see. I hope this does become the default business model for the industry because it will mean my job in games retail will be secure and *******s like you will actually contribute to the industry that I so love and not destroy it.

Did you write this post yourself or did you hire a 13 year old AOL'er to write the post?

However I do understand: Nazi foot soldiers also wanted to take over the world so that they could keep their jobs.

EvenDarkerBOB

Aug 19, 2004
Arthas voice: teh phÄkt is sealed!

Originally Posted by bid
I'll never buy a game with Nazi-like copy protection schemes that require you to activate the game online before you can play the game.

I'll never give my money to a greedy, evil, corporation.

I'll wait for the hassle-free cracked version.

You are a greedy, evil, little gangsta if you get a warez version. They made a (possibly) great game w3rking hard but they did not do it for free. If you do not like it don't buy it but if you warez it you have no right to call anyone nazi. If you warez something you are a criminal and someone here may send an anonymous hint to law enforcers.

(insert "warez dudez busted and must pay a few millions" -news link here)

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Please stop posting and go and commit internet suicide.

bid said:
Did you write this post yourself or did you hire a 13 year old AOL'er to write the post?

However I do understand: Nazi foot soldiers also wanted to take over the world so that they could keep their jobs.

A 13 year-old AOLer would not be able to spell properly, or in fact string together one correct sentence. None of your posts have been particularly pleasant, inspiring or intelligently put together so as not to present the opportunity for misinterpretation, so I bow before your prowess.

Maybe if you tried to understand it from TossMonkey's point of view you wouldn't have such an extremist view (the Nazi foot soldiers crap you posted without thinking). He works at a games retail shop, and from his point of view people who warez games and don't buy them cause the whole economy to go down the crapper, and for every game that is downloaded rather than purchased, workers in his position lose money. Not actively, but a decline in shop profit will eventually lead to an inability to pay the staff their wages.

And yes, you say you display common sense, but you try and boycott an anti-cheating device? Way to go.

In conclusion..

godkillsbaby.jpg

[Edit]

Oh, and regarding your sig, I'm not surprised AntiTCC removed you from the game with your attitude. [Insert zing macro here].

Last edited:

GeneticFreak

evolves and survives
JaFO said:
They're not interested in creating games that people like to play.
They're only interested in squeezing as much money out of our pockets as possible.

Uhm, hate to break the news for you, but no one is forcing you to buy a game
that you don't like to play.
If you don't like it don't play it. It's that simple. It's not that you're gonna be kicked out of your trendy group if you don't play the game...

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
HL2 looked interesting from the previews. I don't know if I'll get it or not. Best to wait and see exactly how good this thing is after people post their reactions after having beat the game and seen if it all comes together. I don't care for the "OMG! THIS GAME PWNZ!!!1!!1 I BEEN PLAYIN FOR 4 HOURS!!1!". That doesn't tell me anything about the quality and depth of the game.

As far as activation is concerned...wtf? I really don't like activiation and whatever this steam thing is. It's only a matter of time until someone gets around activation. They should have just stayed with cd keys instead of all this expensive copy protection. No matter what is developed people will find a way around it. That, and when I buy a game I like to have some live person to deal with instead of someone on the phone over in India (if there's a problem). Who knows what will happen if you unistall or reformat and then go to install the game again. I remember XP made me call when I upgraded from cheap components to quality expensive 3 HDD's, the graphics card, ram, and sound card after a reformat. What a highly annoying phone call. X_X

Last edited:

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
the_mjw said:
When UT99 came out, it created a sub-genre of the first person shooter. It was the first major, professionally designed FPS made entirely for multiplay only. Sure there is a single-player campaign, but it's a joke. That's not what UT is made for and it never will be. UT is about experiencing fast, no frills shooting with other people. That fact, not a cutting-edge engine, is what makes UT great.

What about Quake 3? It was released on the 24th of November, in 1999. UT was released on the 22nd. So there's not really any difference at all, and one could apply all of those arguments to Quake 3. UT's reason for being a great game isn't that it came out 2 days before its rival, it's that it was a damn good game. Quake 3 was pretty good too, and even though I'm pulling this out of my ass I think it's always had more players than UT.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TossMonkey said:

It won't matter even if it does. This system can be hacked just like all the other ones (and judging by the roughly 12 hours it took them to hack, may be EASIER).

It really doesn't make any craps worth of difference WHAT they do, people are going to figure out a way to get it free and make the company "lose" money (although that is a VERY contrversial subject, I don't personally believe they lose more than 0.5% of those sales). WinXP, one of the most "secure" activation-type projects, was pirated less that three days after it was released. HL2, one of the most "secure" activation-type projects (and supposedly the MOST secure release) is pirated within 12 hours. That's not very promising from a BS perspective. CD Keys are the most "secure" method so far by keeping people from playing online. Making you go through all this other crap just to get a new release is BS and should NOT be put up with.

S

sp lit

bid said:
So you suggest I support Valve, and encourage their Nazi behavior? If Valve's Nazi tactics is successful, it will become the default business model for the gaming industry.

BTW: I don't support piracy; I support common sense.
I haven't read through all the rest of the posts but this is from my viewpoint.

In my house we have multiple computers, and a dial-up connection (being in the 0.00000001% of the country which can't get broadband - long story) which is only available on one PC. That PC is an AMD Athlon 1400+ with 256MB RAM and a GeForce2 64MB card. I want to play the game on my PC an AMD Athlon 64 Bit 3000+, Radeon 9600XT SE, 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM, 7.1 surround sound etc....

In order to do this it gives two feasable options:

1. Move my PC near a phone socket/get a 20m cable and acquire a modem (preferably, external), then go through installing software etc....

2. Cart my PC over to a friends house who have broadband and activate there.

I have no desire to have my saved games on the internet so i can play them anywhere in the world there is a HL2 install, so what benefit does this whole "online" thing have for me except to be a pain in the a**e?

Admittedly the game hasn't been leaked and I have purchased a legitimate copy which currently I can't use, so yes, I would happily use a crack. Hell, someone did crack it last week and I'd be grateful if they could help me out.

I understand the need to keep games from being illegally copied etc... but is that also the reason all shops/online retailers are charging an extortionate price of £35 - £40 for it? Because they know people will probably be more likely to have to buy it.

I say people need to complain about it or it is us, the gamers, who end up up the creek without a paddle jumping through the hoops of "nazi" corporations.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
sp lit said:
I haven't read through all the rest of the posts but this is from my viewpoint.

In my house we have multiple computers, and a dial-up connection (being in the 0.00000001% of the country which can't get broadband - long story) which is only available on one PC. That PC is an AMD Athlon 1400+ with 256MB RAM and a GeForce2 64MB card. I want to play the game on my PC an AMD Athlon 64 Bit 3000+, Radeon 9600XT SE, 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM, 7.1 surround sound etc....

In order to do this it gives two feasable options:

1. Move my PC near a phone socket/get a 20m cable and acquire a modem (preferably, external), then go through installing software etc....

2. Cart my PC over to a friends house who have broadband and activate there.

I have no desire to have my saved games on the internet so i can play them anywhere in the world there is a HL2 install, so what benefit does this whole "online" thing have for me except to be a pain in the a**e?

Admittedly the game hasn't been leaked and I have purchased a legitimate copy which currently I can't use, so yes, I would happily use a crack. Hell, someone did crack it last week and I'd be grateful if they could help me out.

I understand the need to keep games from being illegally copied etc... but is that also the reason all shops/online retailers are charging an extortionate price of £35 - £40 for it? Because they know people will probably be more likely to have to buy it.

I say people need to complain about it or it is us, the gamers, who end up up the creek without a paddle jumping through the hoops of "nazi" corporations.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs. Recently I have been forced to return most of the games I purchased, including MOH-Pacific Assault, because the developers assume that anyone who purchases their game is a thief and hence YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY A GAME THAT YOU HAVE PURCHASED If you have 'CD Emulation Software' installed on your machine.

I have legitimate uses for 'CD Emulation Software', but the developers do not take this into account when they scan your computers registry for software they judge to be questionable.

Furthermore, this practice of preventing your product to work if you have some other product installed on your computer is, in fact, illegal as it violates the U.S. Interstate Commerce Act 1887.

Software piracy is a crime and it hurts everyone; from the developers getting less revenue for their years of hard work and retail outlets making less money, resulting job losses and offshoring, state governments not collecting taxes on the pirated copies and federal governments collecting less taxes on revenue, to the customers paying more for their product; but I fear that this sort of Sadistic copy protection scheme will only drive more people to piracy.

Software Piracy is not new, it has existed since the birth of the microcomputer; it is a Bad Debt expense that business must manage but not encourage by introducing Sadistic copy protecting schemes

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
It won't matter even if it does. This system can be hacked just like all the other ones (and judging by the roughly 12 hours it took them to hack, may be EASIER).

It really doesn't make any craps worth of difference WHAT they do, people are going to figure out a way to get it free and make the company "lose" money (although that is a VERY contrversial subject, I don't personally believe they lose more than 0.5% of those sales). WinXP, one of the most "secure" activation-type projects, was pirated less that three days after it was released. HL2, one of the most "secure" activation-type projects (and supposedly the MOST secure release) is pirated within 12 hours. That's not very promising from a BS perspective. CD Keys are the most "secure" method so far by keeping people from playing online. Making you go through all this other crap just to get a new release is BS and should NOT be put up with.

Exactly what I said about money spent on useless protection well wasted. :) :tup:

Anyone ever try calling a place if something goes wrong with your activation? Believe me, it's not fun. :mad: And that's if you get someone who speaks good english. :eek: Ok, I can sorta understand it with operating systems, but with games and other software apps it's just unneccessary cost that the paying users must put up with. And even if pirating stopped today companies would still try to stop it. Down the road they'll cut support for the game and you'll be stuck with a program that you legally paid for but can't activate nor play unless by alternate methods just like what it takes to get a server list on XMP today (although I was told the master finally came back).

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Moving back to the actual game, I don't know why everyone's so anti-Single-Player... I've been playing Max Payne 2 since it was released about 6 months before UT2004 came out (although far less often) and have enjoyed every minute of it.

It's not about the replay value, it's about the values you look for in a movie: the nurture put into the production, the enjoyment factor, visual spectacle, enthrallingness of the plot, engagingness of the script... think of it this way: you pay £5 to see a 2 hour movie. You pay a one-off £30 for a game that can generally be completed in 8-10 hours, but that you can play any time you like. Don't think of single-player games as short games, think of them as extremely long playable movies with a larger price tag.

Crofty

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks... ... for dragging yourself away from your crowbar for long enough to visit BeyondUnreal. ;)

Heh! been playing all day.
Far better than I expected, really enjoying it and I wasnt a fan of hl either but hl2 is something else... I suspect I will be playing this more than once.