There's always free cheese in a mousetrap

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I'm hoping this looks familiar to at least somebody, otherwise my skills are half assed at best (oh... wait...). I just had to make this map, and with the meshmaker, it's going to be even better. It's already at 350 polies, but since everything else is pretty much going to be decos, it should stay around 350. And of course it's going to be DOM. Couldn't have it any other way. The DOM point is none other then the 15 million in cash in the middle.
However, I'm having some lighting problems. I'm using spotlights for "sun simulation", and it's not lighting the faces of the buildings. So for now the ambient brightness is up too high for my liking (it's already drowning out my interior ligting). I don't want the ambient above 10, but want the outside well lit, being that this is in the desert. Any tips, and I'll be greatful. Hope you like these early ghetto shots.

mouse1.jpg

mouse2.jpg

mouse3.jpg

Jaymian

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
More cheese

Thanks guys. Looking forward to Raekwon and Funkstylz maps in 2.87. Been working on this map all day. It's moving along nicely. I have some more shots to show off:

mouse4.jpg

mouse5.jpg

mouse6.jpg

mouse7.jpg

mouse8.jpg

I'm especially proud of that '57 chevy truck. I found an old book I've had for a while, and wish I had found it earlier. It has a lot of nice cars perfect for making textures. Meshmaker is the best. Without it, this map would have been a disaster.
Jaymian

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Hot damn does that look familiar. I just wish I had the time to finish it way back when. I was going to do exactly that as my first map for the INF team back in July. I think old copies of it are still sitting on the FTP...

Can't wait to see how you do this one. :) I had a lot of fun with it back in the day. :D

Mike

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Lookin' good. Are you going to have 'broken glass' around the money like in the movie? That way, a somewhat healthy guy must make the run for the cash.:D

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Well, hopefully mine looks better then your unfinished version Los:) I have bottles and stuff around the money, but with your guy wearing combat boots and long sleave shirts, the bottles won't hurt you. I did the smart thing this time and switched to 32 bit color so the screenshots look a little better. I'm confused as what to do with the lighting, because in 32 bit, the whole map is darker, and in 16 bit, it's pretty bright. So I tried to make a compromise. You may need to make adjustments.

I'd say I'm about 95% done now, with just tweaking hopefully to finish it up. It sits at around a healthy 300 poly, and can get up to around 400. It's also a pretty big hit when you go from indoors to outdoors, but then it smooths out. It may be all the lighting, or just a big jump in polies.

Minimum system requirements for UT: 200MHz with 32 MB ram

Minimum system requirements for this map: 2 GHz with 512 MB ram :)

Some more pics:

mouse9.jpg

mouse10.jpg

mouse11.jpg

mouse12.jpg

mouse13.jpg

mouse14.jpg

mouse15.jpg

Yep, I've never been good with low poly, and that's where chop chop came from, so it just figures that this would be damn choppy too.

Jaymian <------ Damn tired

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Oh damn

I redid the lighting, and damn did that make a difference. Let me tell you, spotlighting isn't the best way to always do outside lighting. It seems to be a strain on the system that much more. I switched over to a few regular lights, and damn. Now it runs a lot faster, and looks a lot better. The faces of the buildings didn't light up well, and now they are, and I was able to lower the ambient lighting too. I knew something was wrong when the lights were crashing my editor. Thanks for the lighting tips;) All that is left is botpath testing, and to have my beta tester give it a run, then it should be done. Hopefully by this weekend.
Jaymian

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Whew

The bots were so horrible when I first pathed this crappy map. Now they are as good as I can imagine INF bots can get:) So what I'm saying is, they suck. Not my problem, like the outdated unreal engine, I'm doing the best with what I got. They still put up a good fight. Even though the player load says 6 - 12, I'd say 8 is about perfect for offline (the only way to play DOM it appears:(). If INF slows down, maybe this map could handle 12. Just a suggestion. Here's some bot testing shots:

mouse16.jpg

mouse17.jpg

mouse18.jpg

Man, I wish there were some fat old guys (bagmen) to fight off with a trusty colt 1911 ;)
Jaymian

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Hi jaymian, how you doing:)

Just replying to myself, this will take just one second.

One.

Ok, so some weird **** happened. DavidM himself gave the thumbs up for my map (inside joke, long story). So I guess it's done. It's only going to be DOM, so no point in begging for lame ass TDM version. But that's ok, the map sucks, just like DOM, so it all works out. I just had to use Spooger's bottles and cans since this map has a bar, but this time I was smart enough to include it. So hopefully no "who is spooger" emails:) If you didn't know already, I jacked the map idea from the last 15 minutes of the Way of the Gun movie. A mexican whorehouse with $15 million in the middle seemed like the perfect DOM map to me. Hope you agree:

http://people.mn.mediaone.net/jaymian/DOM-INF-MouseTrap.zip

Jaymian

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
As I saw the first time the first screens of your map I thought it would be a nice map, but now I saw the last few indoor screens, this looks great, the bar looks great. All looks great. :)

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
oh my god I had always thought that that would make the best scene for a map...i had been planning to do it for so long but I got lazy and stopped mapping altogether :/

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I just have to say...

AWESOME!! :D

spawning into the map for the firt time, I accedentally tapped my num + key (tossing my m16-203 into a corner I couldent get it back from :( )

Diving out the door the bots unleashed hell on me.
some how I managed to use my trusty pimp stick to reach that red barracuda(?) on the far side.
I dont think Ive ever dodged so many bullets in a single game befor, lolol

those bots really hate it when you claim the dom point on this one :D

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
haha

Yep, it's DOM when the bots get an attitude. Sometimes those silly bots get stuck on absolutely nothing, but they still put up a fight. Around 7 bots seemed like the perfect amount for this map. Any more, and you can hardly touch the money:)
Jaymian