Need help overclocking a Athlon K7

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
F

FlaK

Can I overclock my 650Mhz Athlon with the retail heatsink & fan(I have a CoolerMaster)?
If I can, what is the best way to OC it?
I have a Epox 7KXA motherboard and the processor stays under 45C/113F most of the time.
How can I find out if the processor is 0.25 or 0.18 micrones?

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Lets see,

First to forever reduce the potential of overheating you will need a self replenishing supply of liquid nitro :)

Nah, really this helps, I do it ;)

OK, seriously...

OCed proccesors are bad for running UT. It has been proven to degrade performance and the processor gets unbeleivable hot!

Don't do it man!
:)

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Flak, just FYI, I have two practically identical athlon systems, with V3-3000 video cards in each, and 128 meg ram. One is a 550mhz, the other is a 700 mhz (factory speeds only). The difference in frame rate in UT is about 3 or 4 fps. I don't feel that that is a significant improvement that shows that there would be much benefit to overclocking (about 38 to 40 fps in a single player 8 bot domination match, all detail on high.)
As for finding out what micron size of die was used, I think you can find that out from the week of manufacture of the chip. I believe that the serial number has some part that represents the week of manufacture. Check with some of the websites dedicated to overclocking the athlon, or perhaps selling the "golden fingers" device. I've seen some of these guys advertising in the CPUs section of Yahoo or Ebay auctions.

[This message has been edited by HuFlungDung (edited 05-30-2000).]

Devisor

Feb 25, 2000
norway
ut.barrysworld.net
OK, if you really want to OC your athlon CPU and need tips go to http://www.overclockers.com check out theyr cpu database, there you could gett some info on wich voltage other OC have used with cpu like yours.

I know that there have been posted some info on how to find out the week, 18/25core, fab etc. in the forum.. just search at theyr forum.

And if you have a epox 7kxa chipsett, you will find a good performance hitt using pc133 and enabling the hlck+33 (this if you have a fast GPU(vidcard)). For best bios settings check out http://www.cheese83.freeserve.co.uk/athlon.htm (bios settings for epox-7kxa)

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Here's the equasion that I use to make my 700 run at 850. It's been up to 900, but it wasn't 100% happy, and I lowered it.
golden fingers + peltier + love and tenderness = 850 Mhz.

bullet2.gif

Dead chicks suck in bed.

p.s. Fück BellAtlantic

F

FlaK

Thanx for the help everybody. Dont think I'll oc it. Maybe I'll try maybe not.
But thanx anyhow.