Builds and Commit Updates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'd hardly call them slams, but to be fair, they were provoked.

[GU]elmur_fud;2609426 said:
64-bit only? Really? -.-

That is basically a troll. Your expressing surprise, or presumably disappointment by even making this statement. As the most logical development path was the one taken, you are trolling anyone who understands this concept to defend it, by questioning it to begin with.

No other reply in this thread even matters, for this is the heart of the hijack.

To play the BF4 demo required a quad core processor. Every other demo, alpha, or beta I've ever played also had more stringent requirements of both hardware and software.

To even make that reply shows that you are either new to this process, or a troll.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I'm not going to build a 32bit so y'all can stop wasting time talking about it.
Never insisted you do so. Merely stated my surprise at it absence. Like I stated it is of no consequence to me either way. So the point is doubly mute.

BTW I don't think anybody has thanked you for the effort in doing this, so thankyou.

I'd hardly call them slams, but to be fair, they were provoked.

Condescending tones and negative presumptions can still be a slam.

That is basically a troll. Your expressing surprise, or presumably disappointment by even making this statement. As the most logical development path was the one taken, you are trolling anyone who understands this concept to defend it, by questioning it to begin with.

Hardly a troll to be surprised that there was no 32bit, something that is pretty well standard procedure. Perhaps you should read a definition on what it is to 'troll'... notice that it needs to be a deliberate attempt to do those things also. Your perception is your problem. Had the response been something like "yes. 64bit only." My response would would have been along the lines of "K. Kinda limiting your potential users a tad though."

Nor was it the most logical 'development path' and the fact that that apparently isn't understood is obviously the problem. Dual compiling isn't difficult, google it. It may have been TWD only option and that is fine. It may be the general preferance here, still fine. But neither make it the most logical.

No other reply in this thread even matters, for this is the heart of the hijack.

The thread was hijacked by ambershee. My comment was about the content of the first post. My response to ambershee was about the generalized miscategorization that was generally directed at me.

To play the BF4 demo required a quad core processor. Every other demo, alpha, or beta I've ever played also had more stringent requirements of both hardware and software.

Hardware requirements are there for performance reasons and are down to what the game actually needs to play. The 64bit vs 32bit question is hardly that. The game will play just as well in 32bit as it will in 64bit. Making the later a question of preference and not necessity.

To even make that reply shows that you are either new to this process, or a troll.
I am neither 'new' nor a troll. That however looks like a troll.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this leads back to the original question: How many PC gamers are there? I’ve seen estimates under a ~100 million, to highs of over ~300 million. Personally I lean more toward the high end of the spectrum. If I had to put a stake in the ground I’d say that there are at least ~100-150m enthusiast (high-end) and mainstream gamers, and potentially another ~100-200m more casual gamers. It can also fluctuate a little up and down based on AAA game availability.
~https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/03/just-how-many-pc-gamers-are-there

According to a pcgamer article steam has around 75million active accounts. Ignoring the small portion of that that are people with multiple accounts.That would be 75% of the lowest figure or 21% of the top end.
~http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/15/steam-grew-15-in-three-months-to-75-million-users/

This was an interesting graphic considering how big gaming is in some of those smaller pie chunks.
wyOGl7R.jpg

According to this 78.9% of homes had a PC
~https://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/files/2012/Computer_Use_Infographic_FINAL.pdf

If that # hasn't risen Given the population here
~http://www.census.gov/popclock/

Then roughly 250m American homes have computers.

Windows captures more than 91 percent of the desktop OS market (Macs collectively have 6.94 percent and Linux systems, 1.17 percent), but Windows 7 is used on 44.73 percent of systems and XP has 38.73 percent of the market. At 3.17 percent of the market, Windows 8 is the fourth most popular OS, still behind Vista (which retains 4.99 percent) but ahead of Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion (2.65 percent).
~http://www.pcworld.com/article/2032...ins-market-share-traction-analysis-shows.html

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...08/64-bit-momentum-surges-with-windows-7.aspx

If you dig into the data it paints a pretty clear picture that 32bit is still a very viable market both in the general area of PCs and more specifically too topic, gaming. It may be on the decline but that decline is just starting really. It took 64bit 10 years to start to get the upper hand but 32bit is far from dead with the exception of the enthusiast market. (I am willing to assert that without research as it seems terribly obvious). Furthermore it shows that given the portion of the PC gaming market steam holds it is a poor indicator of the market as a whole.

Getting even closer to topic has it occurred to anybody that in the marketplace, the unreal engines mobile and console support, the popularity of the engine plus the UDK, and the publicity stunt of making a AAA title open dev and completely free. While simultaneously offering the ability for people to sell there own stuff on the market place... That epic is perhaps positioning themselves to challenge steam in the future? Steam itself started out only selling Valve titles. Purely conjecture true but if my guess is even close to right it seems to me the way this will work is something like:

1. You will need to make an account on the epic market place(free).
2. You purchase UT4 (or whatever they wind up calling it) to your account(free)
3. Add mod tools(free)
4. Do you want to sell your stuff? Add a UDN account.($ for Epic and maybe +$ for you)
5. Do you want to buy stuff? ($ for epic and dollars for somebody else)

I would be surprised if there wasn't integration with google and apple pay systems as well as credit/debit card and/or paypal options.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Irrelevant side-note: While looking up those pages I found that Mozilla recently caved and will finally make a 64bit FF.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
How about you guys respect TWD and start your own "my E-penis is larger" thread? This is why we can't have nice things at BU :rollseyes:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
-AEnubis- said:
Someone seems to be developing a pattern of argument for the sake of argument.

This thread:

BIEKV.jpg

These are excellent examples what is called trolling -AEnubis-

For illustration purposes this would also be a good example:
isCTD1K.png

More on topic and just out of curiosity, what was the compile time on this build and your PC specs? I have UDk project that builds to about 1GB and it takes like 3 hrs on my current rig.

Also if anybody out there in internet land who finds this is on vista and has troubling downloading the file (symptom: probably reach like 99% and then stall), to use Mega on vista you must either disable UAC or run your browser with administrator privileges.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Those look like observations to me.

If something is going to be written to take advantage of 64bit, than scaling it down to function the same as 32bit would be an optimization exercise, and hence a later development stage.

It's okay to be new to this, everyone has to start somewhere.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
If something is going to be written to take advantage of 64bit, than scaling it down to function the same as 32bit would be an optimization exercise, and hence a later development stage.

There's not a huge amount of difference writing code for 32/64-bit to be honest. I think the real issue is going to be memory. The Unreal Engine 4 project I'm working on routinely clocks in at about 2.5GB, and it's pretty light in terms of what you can do with the engine. If the new UT is going to be hardware hungry, and I'm hoping that it is as I want to see the engine actually used, then it may be the case that it cannot support a 32-bit system for that reason.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
[GU]elmur_fud;2609484 said:
No need to get disheartened at your delusions.

Reality check
It's not 2005 anymore dude. 64-bit makes up the majority. It's fact, not 'delusional' bragging of any sort.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It's not really about how different it is, but about iterative design. If you stand the potential of cranking out one quick revision after the other, and there is a clear majority in your testing subjects, you'll produce for that majority.

The difference is open development is blurring that line.

If Epic was developing something internally, they'd all be on the same page, working with fairly identical systems, up until it needed to be optimized, and ported for release. If Nick had a prototype he wanted to submit to the team, he's not going to have to code it twice because Steve is running a different operating system, for some reason. Odds are if he has a reason for that, he'll do it on another machine, or a second boot at worst. He'll still have an OS boot dedicated to the development process, because I'd imagine a reboot is faster than a recode.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Reality check
It's not 2005 anymore dude. 64-bit makes up the majority. It's fact, not 'delusional' bragging of any sort.

:eek: If you look through the figures in the links I posted it is only barely. @ about 58% A figure skewed by business and the enthusiast market. But you picked a really good quote for that comment.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You can't use web traffic stats as a measure of the potential market for a high-end PC game, that's just plain daft. So many of those machines will be in offices, schools and such, or will be in machines used by people who never have any intention of looking at games and only use it to browse the web, handle e-mail and word process stuff.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
You can't use web traffic stats as a measure of the potential market for a high-end PC game, that's just plain daft. So many of those machines will be in offices, schools and such, or will be in machines used by people who never have any intention of looking at games and only use it to browse the web, handle e-mail and word process stuff.

There is also sales statistics and market analytics in there backing it up. The steam info accounts for possibly as little as 21% of the market and even there only around 75% of those people are on 64 bit systems. Make all the excuses you want but if you tried to argue that you should ignore even 25% of your potential customers in a board room for the sheer sake of convenience so you didn't have to bother compiling 32 bit code you would probably be sacked. The fact is 32 bit isn't dead yet. You may want to pull the plug on grandpa but the collateral damage would be huge at this point.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
You are quite simply on crack if you really think a gamer that actually keeps up with games does NOT have a 64 bit processor at this point.