Will UC tempt you to buy an X-box?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I've heard that making something backward compatable handicaps the system. I don't know. That's just what people are saying.

IF that's the case, then I don't want the next XBox to be backward compatable. I want it to be as powerful as it can be, without the hinderances to run the old stuff.

It's really a two edged sword I guess.

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
Nope I'm not going to get a Xbox probably. For UC2 I will borrow a friends box and will rent UC2 for a month. If Xbox 2 has any good games I might buy one of those.

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
Now that UC2 is out it's really making me wanna buy the Xbox JUST to play that game, but a friend of mine told me the Nextbox (or watever) will be comin out in October, and I should wait till then....

So, cashwise, I'm in a dillema. I've decided to hold off until the new xbox comes out (if its truly comin out in a few months)... however if I find out that it wont be out until next Xmas or watever, then that will change things drastically beause I do have to factor in the chances that I wont be able to afford it as soon as it hits the market, and will have to wait a few months anyways for the prices to drop...

*sigh* being on a budget sucks... but I could use some advice, what u think?

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
edhe said:
Xbox360 is *not* backwardly compatable. To play this game you *must* have current xbox.

I highly doubt they wont make a version for the next/360/xenon/watever ub3rl337b0x0rz.

Personally, I'm very patient. I can wait, y’know? I like to make purchases that will last a while, and give me the best bang for my buck... so if that means waiting a few months for the newb0x0rz to come out, along with the UC2 for it, then I can wait.

Oh, btw I got to play UC2 for a while at this game center. Man! I was blown away lol, I almost broke down and bought the xbox then and there. This game is gonna kick some serious ass... makes halo feel like... Doom (the first dom). And I aint a halo-hata either, I've had lotsa fun halo-fraggin' on LAN with my buddies... but nothing compares to UTfraggin...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UC2 isn't going to come out for Xbox2. It wouldn't be worth the money. The next hope you have is Gears Of War.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If you want to own UC2, you need an Xbox. Xbox Next will NOT be backwards compatible as edhe said, and the will not re-do it for Xbox Next.

So....either buy an Xbox, or get over the fact that you'll never own UC2.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I'm starting to debate with myself over this.....

I saw an article (which i cannot currently trace) saying that the 'cheap' one will not be compatable with previous xbox games - now this could make sense.

The cheap one will use solid state storage (likely) in order to save it's stuff (no HDD remember) which the old xbox games *will* be incompatable with, i'm guessing, however there's a possibility that - maybe - if you have the HDD in it there's not that incompatability?

Anyway i'm not holding my breath... i'd rather worry abou tmy xbox not turning on when i push the button. Takes me half an hour to get the bitch running.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
The next Xbox will NOT be backwords compatible! Totally different arcitecture. Current Xbox is based on an x87 chipset. The next one will use PowerPC. HUGE difference in arcitecture. Go read up on the two and see what I mean.

I still have my Xbox I bought in 2001. So I just need to buy the game. ^^

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
MeStinkBAD said:
The next Xbox will NOT be backwords compatible! Totally different arcitecture. Current Xbox is based on an x87 chipset. The next one will use PowerPC. HUGE difference in arcitecture. Go read up on the two and see what I mean.

I still have my Xbox I bought in 2001. So I just need to buy the game. ^^
That doesn't mean it won't be backwards compatible. You can run PPC apps on Desktop PCs, you can run N64 software, PS2 software, etc. All it takes is a bit of emulation.

Still, I don't think they will waste their time on it.

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
Well I guess it's a waiting game for me.

If its true that there is no UC2 (or UC3) for the new xbox... then worst case scinario, I end up buyin the Xbox at a discounted price, and UC2 as well :) That'll mean that I'll be comin in the game a bit late, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem; looks to me like this is one that's gonna be popular for a long while...

*sigh* I hate waiting games...

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
That IS good news, but this statement has me worried....
.....as long as they are playing a current generation Xbox game.
Does that mean XBox games developed after XBox Next comes out? If so, I guess that means that none of the games out now will be compatable.