Unreal Dynamic footstep sounds

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Here's the first release of the Dynamic footstep sounds mutator for Unreal 227. As the title suggests, it adds support for different footstep sounds when walking over different surfaces. It is already something that exists in Unreal patch 227, but it only covers new textures, and not the stock textures. This mutator remedies that.

The mutator is also highly configurable, so if you find a texture that isn't already covered by this mutator, you can define the footstep sounds for it yourself. There could be a public directory of these definitions somewhere, too, but it's not set up yet.

You can download the mutator on my website. Note that it requires a recent version of the 227 patch (tested only on 227i).

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
GE, have you considered a UT port too? This is a common request I get but I was never interested in trying to accomplish it for online play. <shudders at the thought of texture name replication>

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It can't be ported to UT, since it works by interfacing with the FootStepManager object that was introduced in patch 227. In UT, there is no such hook, therefore a mod like that would have to replace the pawn class or something, which is very unfriendly.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Yeah, you aren't kidding. At one point I tried to make a wall chunk that would spawn with the texture of the wall it supposed to be blasted from and 'smart' camo that mimics the wall closest to you but I could never get either to work properly online. It seems the server doesn't care what the wall texture is called :p

Nevertheless, great mod and I look forward to playing with it.:tup: