Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
IronMonkey, I do believe you've given the most generous opinion of Last Airbender out of everyone I've talked to, and the ones that followed the show had the harshest things to say.
Yes, I'm aware that I've been more generous than most. :)

That was sort of one of the points that I was trying to make - the fans would hate this no matter what. Now, I count myself as a fan but I think my expectations were more realistic than most. 420 minutes down to 103 was always going to be tough.

I suspect that the loudest complainers are the oldest. They just want what they enjoyed when the show was on TV and they'll never be happy. :)

I think that I have been clear that the film had many serious defects but in the end the score was based on the fact that when the credits rolled I had enjoyed it.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but my gf did, and in so many words her verdict was that it was a complete travesty, to both the source material and to film in general.

I'm...kinda curious to watch it :) Never watched the show either (I am under the imrpession that it's for kids, right?). It's kinda like when I went to see The Happening after sitting through the train wreck that was Lady In The Water. Will wait till it's on TV.

The show is for kids but it is entirely watchable by adults. It's funny, there is some genuine character drama. The characters do grow (unlike, say, Pokémon where Ash will forever be Ash) and not everything is necessarily bright and sunny at the end of things. Well worth springing for the DVDs. The last season flags a little in the second half as though many plot lines came to a natural end too soon but still well worth the watch.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Ok before I start my review I just want to make a shout out to the 4 tweens sitting to the left of me who would not shut the **** up during the movie. Next time this happens I will smash your faces in the concrete. Also the gay guy sitting 2 seats to my right who would laugh at non funny scenes, they weren't funny fruitcake. Ok on to the review.

The Expendables - 6/10

This movie has been pretty hyped for me for the last couple months, and rightfully so as the cast is excellent. My only gripe was Dolph Lundgren sounded like a deaf mute(hope it was intentional) and Steve Austin is just not a bad ass I am sorry. Let me start with the bad first

-Shaky cam. Stop this **** right now. It makes it hard to focus on the action and is just a general annoyance.

-CG blood. This is what ruined a bunch of the fight scenes for me. It just makes things look stupid. A particular scene which ends with a knife in the throat made me cringe, and not because it was gruesome. What is wrong with using blood squibs people? The latest Rambo is a perfect example of blood squibs done right and looks a crap ton better.

-Schwarzeneggar, Willis, Stallone scene. My most hyped scene was to see the Governator on the big screen once again and it fell flat for the most part. The biggest issue was the dialog between Arnie and Sly were one liners. It would have been fine but the jokes fell flat every single time(except maybe 2 that were worth a slight chuckle).

-Too much downtime. One fight scene at the beginning culminates to about 20 minutes of downtime which goes to a 2 minute standoff which goes to more downtime. For a movie that was marketed as an action movie it kinda lacked in that dept.

Now the good.

+What fighting there was(which wasn't ruined by the shaky cam) was pretty good. The finale is pretty action packed, and Terry Crews steals the show in one scene with an AA12 shotgun that made me laugh out loud.

+It was meant to be a throwback to the 80's and I think it did that job well. Cheesy dialog, over the top action(what there was), and the usual "Good guy drops weapons, bad guy shoots good guy but does not finish him off and proceeds to talk for 5 minutes before getting raped"

Needless to say I enjoyed the flick, but was let down at the same time. There is just so much more the movie could have been but it seems like a missed opportunity.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Toilet, i am curious to know how many Kit-Kats and Dr. Peppers you consumed while watching that movie. How many?

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
The Expendables: Pure Awesomeness/10

Yeah it's not the most thought out film, but it is a nice throw back to the old senseless action flicks of 80's.

If I wanted to be critical about this movie I could, but I went in with zero expectations, and walked out with a smile on my face.

Seriously, why was JCVD not in the line up! If he was there the awesomeness meter would have gone up a few notches!

I am still on the fence though if I can rate The Expendables as the "man's man" movie or does Predator still hold the title...

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The lovely bones: 8/10

I liked what I saw. Good acting, especially stanley tucci (you really want to hate the guy he portrays), extra props for the inspiring visuals. Doesn't really follow the standard line of storytelling which is so common in many ehhh... big(ger) movies. That's always a (huge) relief.
I enjoyed watching it, that's the most important thing. Never felt like counting down the minutes, no large boring passages.

Evil dead 2: 9/10

I love this trilogy. The first movie is pure horror, this one balances in between horror and comedy and the final one has a large portion of comedy.
This is probably my favourite one. Everything gets so incredibly mad, bonkers, demented, silly. F.e. when Ash runs up to shed with his girlfriend's head biting his hand. He looks for a chainsaw, has merely uttered the words and the rest of her comes barging it with it :D crazy.
Or the devil which creeps into his hand. And the laughing furniture scene. Classic gold.
That's the sort of horror movie I enjoy watching.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Evil dead 2: 9/10

I love this trilogy. The first movie is pure horror, this one balances in between horror and comedy and the final one has a large portion of comedy.
This is probably my favourite one. Everything gets so incredibly mad, bonkers, demented, silly. F.e. when Ash runs up to shed with his girlfriend's head biting his hand. He looks for a chainsaw, has merely uttered the words and the rest of her comes barging it with it :D crazy.
Or the devil which creeps into his hand. And the laughing furniture scene. Classic gold.
That's the sort of horror movie I enjoy watching.

One of the greatest movies ever. My son is named Ash because of it.

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Inception 9.8/10

Holy ***t.

Easily one of the best movies i've ever watched. I really doubt there will any movie better than this one any time soon (maybe in 10 years when Nolan comes up with something better lol).

The whole thing was just awesome to me.
The scene where Cobb is talking to Fisher on the 2nd dream level, the low-g scenes, just awesome

And the ending of this movie was great, i just loved what they did there.
Definitely a must-see.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Wanted: 3/5
Probably would have been 4/5 had it not been for a few things that irk the crap out of me
1. Bullet curving. No way in hell is it possible unless the bullet is a mini-rocket launched from a smoothbore designed with micro-thrusters on the sides to force a curved trajectory and even then it'd be impossible for it to curve like it did near the end

1a. The "superlong" shots at the beginning/end. Even with a multistage bullet it would be impossible to hit a target with that accuracy from over a mile away, especially since the carvings on the slug would throw it off course

2. A Dodge Viper being unable to outrun a delivery truck. Crap like this is in way too many movies

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
The lovely bones

facepalm.gif

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Wanted: 3/5
Probably would have been 4/5 had it not been for a few things that irk the crap out of me
1. Bullet curving. No way in hell is it possible unless the bullet is a mini-rocket launched from a smoothbore designed with micro-thrusters on the sides to force a curved trajectory and even then it'd be impossible for it to curve like it did near the end.

People always complain about that, but seriously. Wanted is not a movie based on real events nor is it a movie that takes pride in 100% accuracy to the laws of physics, deal with it!

The Virgin Suicides - 4/10

Not much so say but it felt extremely shallow. The story is very sad but well, the movie isn't.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Atonement-9/10

An amazing film. The way the story in this film is told is really punctuated by some great visual moments.

This would have to be one of the saddest stories I have seen in years.

This type of love story usually isn't for me but it's just so well done... it has made me want to read the book it was based on.

Love and war told with extreme sensitivity and a master touch. Brilliant film making.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 2/10. Pretty cheesy comic book movie. The acting was bad, the characters were annoying, and the plot was bland. The special effects were pretty good, though.