Your suggestions for the new Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Clean > Clutter

Stability > Usability = Gameplay >>> Sound >>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics

Don't make the mistakes of the UT200x/UT3 era and go for style over substance. Make the substance what you're selling and fit the graphics to that. No-one's going to notice the high res textures mid-match.

Detail is great, but there's a limit. No-one wants to be hung up on yet another static mesh. No-one wants textures and lighting that get in the way of clear visibility and smooth gameplay (connected with that, for the love of god make the player models actually visible. I don't want to have to deal with the UTComp glowstick brightskins again).

Take maps like CTF-Grendel, CTF-Anfractuous2, DM-Goose, DM-Rankin and DM-Ironic as examples of the right kind of approach with the graphics vs gameplay situation. They didn't look bad at all, they had atmosphere and they had a nice feel to them. But they were also very clean in their approach and there were very few places to get hung up on or distracted by. Players had room to move, and they allowed for lots of different combat scenarios. People loved these maps, and they got played to death for a damn good reason.

Contrast that with maps like CTF-Geothermal, CTF-Chrome, DM-Asbestos, DM-Inferno and DM-IronDeity. Cramped, cluttered maps with very little room to move, which force players to fight in only one style. Visually, there was a lot to look at, but the gameplay just sucked. No-one liked playing on them, and no-one will ever remember these aside from lessons on what not to do.

Drop the clutter, drop the additional shiny stuff that's not required. Give us flow, variation (within reason) and room to move. By all means, stick in some funky details here and there, but don't let it get in the way of the game.

No-one wants another DM-IronDeity...

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Do you mean different texture sizes ? Why not at least make it easier to port content over ? Like have some master content with a texture originally in vector form that can be scaled up/down as needed for the engine and/or processing power of a machine ?

No, they are not different texture sizes. The textures contain entirely different information. They do not transfer between different shading models.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
A few ideas that this game could use are as followed...

--A co-op system that can be easily modded even if it isn't used in the retail release. Being able to save different stats for an RPG feature like on Borderlands 2 so the community can make up their own mods from it.

--Include a Reload and fire-mode system, a multi-scope system which players can configure their min and max FOV as they desire as well as the speed. Also include a clip system in weapons and ammo.

--No more of the same crappy mutators they always include, but instead less mutators with more options that players can configure. For example, and arena mutator that will automatically detect any weapon from any package installed in your game which would also have a team base option. A regen mutator for pretty much everything that needs it. And a mutator that can allow players to replace inventory from any package with ease.

--A way to link player/bot classes, something like adding new variables and/or functions that can be linked with player/bot classes from any mod so replacing the player class won't be necessary anymore.

--More functionality on weapons and other inventory to allow the modding community make changes easier.

--Link pretty much everything with the main mutator class for easier modding.

--No more f*****g vehicles... it is Unreal Tournament, an fps game, and not battlefield or Mario cart.

-- DLCs

Ya, those are just a few suggestions that I think it would make it better than the last releases. And if I keep going, it would make it a few pages long.

One of the things that this game really needs is more flexibility for easier modding then what they offer in the retail release. They should think about why most people use this popular title for modding instead of the gameplay and graphics they include which always end up on the game to die so soon afterwards.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
No, they are not different texture sizes. The textures contain entirely different information. They do not transfer between different shading models.

Why not take a step backwards and have the different information in a raw format that is easily portable ?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Look, if you don't understand the concept of shading models, and how they're applied within the context of a rendering engine this discussion is going to go exactly nowhere.

You can't just create some magic format that has everything you want to know in it, the concept is absolutely barmy. You don't know what the needs of the next shading model you are going to employ are going to be like until you start building your next renderer :/

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
--No more f*****g vehicles... it is Unreal Tournament, an fps game, and not battlefield or Mario cart.

No one will take you seriously with that statement, also:

ExNPz9L.png

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
wut

wat

Are you sure this is a UT thread?

Trolls be trolls.

No one will take you seriously with that statement, also

Your opinion is your opinion only, not no one else.

For those that don't know what DLC is, it stands for - Down Loadable Content. It is an option in newer games that allow you to directly download game content after its release making their installation a lot easier and direct. Since Epic is thinking about the addition of a marketplace in ut4 it would be a nice kick to the game by adding a DLC option to download the bonuspacks or mods they might release later on. Well, that's just a simple explanation of what it is and don't want to make things too confusing for the light headed to go wut, wat.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com

I think the 1,590,057.9 hours players spent playing Onslaught in UT2004 would disagree with you, and that's not even counting the 625,794.6 hours players spent playing Assault which was almost entirely vehicle based as well. While I agree they should focus on DM first and foremost I wouldn't mind at all if they released a vehicle based assault mode or onslaught again at some point.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
I'll step back from detailed things and start off by what someone else said in another thread: Let's not forget that Unreal Tournament has always had a theme of blood sport.

That being said, I like rag doll effects in some games, but I've always felt it doesn't have a place in Unreal. I want the gratification that comes with blowing someone into a rain of blood and hailing chunky gibbles of their body bouncing off walls and tumbling across the floor. UT is the only game that it was fun to get headshot by someone else because the the camera stayed with the point of view of your bouncing head.

And no, I've never abused or tormented animals.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've been playing UT, UT2004 and UT3 in the past few days.

After a long absence, I had completely forgotten the cartoon/scale essence of UT2004, not to mention the fugly menu UI/HUD. It's hard to find that vibe again, I suppose the gameplay was really kicking it online back in the days, unfortunately all I can remember is Team Arena Master and hitscan crap.

Dark Souls level of unforgiveness is all there in classic UT, which I find really refreshing and old school. The game doesn't give a fuck if you die more than twice in a row. Enforcers takes 4 hit to kill, everything is extremely painful. Survival is still possible. I love it.

Weapon variants are something I've been thinking about for a long time now as well

Example:

UT style Shock Rifle:

Primary: 2 hit kill / Medium fire rate / Extremely close to hitscan
Secondary: 2 hit kill / Medium fire rate / Medium speed

VS

UT2004 style Shock Rifle

Primary: 3 hit kill / Fast fire rate / Hitscan
Secondary: 2 hit kill / Medium-fast fire rate / Medium-fast speed

Conclusion: A shock combo requires more spacing with the classic Shock Rifle, but the explosion radius is also bigger.

And another variant idea..

UT3 style Link Gun:

Primary: 1 hit kill / Very slow fire rate / Medium speed projectile
Secondary: No damage / Channeling / Hitscan

Desc: Fires an inactive plasma orb that will deal no damage. Secondary fire activates the orb dealing 100+ DMG on hit for instant kill. The orb must be linked at all times to deal damage.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Trolls be trolls.

That's not trolling. All he's doing is pointing out that vehicles have been in two UT games, whereas reloading has been in none. Weapons that don't reload have been the staple of every single UT game; if you're so concerned about vehicles making the game more like Mario Kart, why aren't you worried that reloading would make it more like Call of Duty?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
In my deep thoughts that I have every 50th blue moon, I came up with a concept that I feel may be of interest to casual and competitive gamers alike. Operative word, may. Anyhow, the idea is to give players who pick up a shiled (50 or 100) the ability to throw it to a teammate. As an example, a guard throwing his 100 shield to the flagrunner if the runner has no shields. This changes the dynamic slightly enough that it could make a difference as to whether the flag can be placed into the team's base of the runner dies and the flag is returned to the rightful owners. There is also the risk of a thrown shield, same as with weapons, either being missed on a handoff or becoming intercepted by the opposing team. Slowing down to pick up the shield or going back after a missed handoff can come with a high cost, potentially.

The amount of shield will be dependent upon the thrower's inventory. If he has both the 100 and 50 shields, the 100 goes first. If all he has is the 50, then it goes. The gaining player always gets whatever power is left. If there is only 50 left in a 100 shield, then the gaining player only gets the 50 power. This should help to promote teamwork via sharing of assets. There is both the opportunity for reward and risk built into this concept.

I have not fleshed this out as to how it will affect other factors in gameplay, so I invite you all discuss this to some item, as I feel it has merit. Whether or not it becomes part of the standard game, a mutator or a server side setting, are items I hope are discussed.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
My suggestions is a bit a more perfected arsenal, if there is new weapons they should fit the gameplay unlike most additions in 2004 -> grenade launcher, why removing the ripper while it was a great weapon with better fitting than the rest. I do also remember the redundant additions in RTNP ...
For me the weapons should be able to enable certain trickshots, the movement should be evolved enough to allow the trick moves, that's something that UT200X did right to me something between UT99 - 2004 is what we need ...

Interactivity with the maps traps to activate, hidden rooms, destructible parts of the levels, things to activate that helps getting somewhere else, etc ...

Vehicle based games again, after all the sequels added something right, but I find the vehicles lack of fit with the rest of the arsenal for the most part the worst case was in UT3 as most vehicles went with a total unfit IMHO (even if some of them were fun to use).
I personally would like to see more fit in the vehicles in the game and even make people being able to use classic UT guns from their insides and shoot people with.

For me I don't want any kind of reload, I leave that to the mods and also UT isn't a game about being a cover shooter, it's a game where reloading will simply ruin the gameplay and force people to play more with the cover than how it should be.

I would like to see some power ups like something who makes people more agile and fast, the return of jump boots, other items with activation limit like the boots, I'd like to see new things, but for me the most important is them fitting UT and bring something new that enhance the gameplay and so the whole experience.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
My requests:

- Optimized for PC, not console
- No everlasting demoguy bug
- No "ambient" music when there's no action, just loop entire track
- Make rocket launcher 8 ball again

That's about it for now I guess, these points were/are my biggest issues with UT3.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
My requests:

- Optimized for PC, not console
- No everlasting demoguy bug
- No "ambient" music when there's no action, just loop entire track
- Make rocket launcher 8 ball again

That's about it for now I guess, these points were/are my biggest issues with UT3.

It's PC only right now.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
A thing I want to add because in UT200X the floaty and more aerial movement made the use of projectile weapons a lot more complicated than the UT3 where they were OP and in UT99 where they were kind of right.
A lesson from quake 3 actually because it's simple if you have fast movement you need to have quite faster projectiles and play well with the radius of the splash damage shockwave.
A projectile weapon should be able to be quite good in air kills if some skill is used.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Also, don't change things that people spend their $ on like they do in WOTs. Just glad I haven't spent one cent on WOTs or I'd really be mad.;)