Weird problem with laptop psu.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Yesterday I thought I smelled something odd, like a faint short circuiting coming out of my laptop (it's an oldie). Had a good look at it and noticed the adaptor plug was hanging a bit out of the laptop. It probably had been for a few hours and I hadn't noticed. I pushed it back in and ignored it.

Today I tried pulling the cable out again, but it was stuck. A firm pull got it loose and lo and behold, the tip of the plug was a little singed. No surprise it smelled like it had short circuited. My guess is something it connected to inside the laptop is a little singed as well.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to plug the adaptor back in the laptop? It ran fine for about half a day since I pushed it back in, yesterday. Now after having seen the singe, I am not so sure. It's the only computer I have at the moment.. I don't want to lose it. The smell of short circuit burn is a little unnerving.

EDIT: Thread can be deleted - ordering a new laptop since it's about time anyway.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Speaking of laptops, I fucked up mine by flashing a modded bios with the intent of overclocking.