Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Jurassic Park:
One of them :/

You'd think that after the original Jurassic Park disaster doctor Whatshisname would have thought to mention there was another island with Dinosaurs on it, so as to ensure that rich families on Yatching holidays in an unmapped section of the pacific don't stumble accross the aforementioned Dino infested island and get eaten in a variety of interesting ways.
You'd think wrong.
So the family get eaten, people realise the island has dinos on it and send in a research team featuring Jeff Goldblum and three children. Yup, three kids on an dino infested island. What little belief I had left at this point was suspended, and then I actually began to enjoy the film in all its unlikely, holey plotted glory.
Not bad for a Saturday afternoon dvd, not so good if you end up watching it on the TV as our good friend Mr Censor seems to have intentionally removed all of the fun.

DVD: 6/10
TV: 4/10

[xF]PR3D470R

My Vengeance Is Everlasting
Jan 20, 2004
KC
Batman Begins 9/10
Can't say I've liked any Batman movies before this so I was hesitant to watch. Wow what a great movie and a very interesting way to tell the story of Batman's origin. I can't wait for The Dark Knight :)

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
Remember the Titans. 7/10

Formulaic, cliched, syrupy, too much story packed in there - and it's a film about an american football team ffs. But I really liked it! For an extremely predictable movie it's really good. I mean it's a Disney film, and it couldn't be more cheesy if it tried, but I just really enjoyed it: the slow coming together of the team beyond their racial divides, the characters themselves - plus it doesn't exactly do any harm that I really fancy the is he/isn't he gay (IS IS IS) quarterback ...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
(army of the) Twelve monkeys: 10

Probably the fourth-fifth time I've seen this movie. Funny, I've never had the chance to watch the intro..

Brilliant movie. Makes "I am legend" look like utter tripe, imho.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Visit site
Juno 10/10

Just got back from seeing this, and I loved it. Didn't think that a film about a girl getting pregnant would be massively interesting to me, but I loved the characters so much, and it was so well made, and the script was quite simply amazing. Whoever wrote it should be punched in the mouth for being just a bit too talented. I feel as though I should have given it 10, as I honestly can't think of a flaw or anything that annoyed me in the entire film (except the bloody girls sitting next to me grrrr) - it was just magical - but I think I'd have to see it again in time to see if I really loved it that much.

Although I should really love it that much because it was everything that a 'cool' film isn't: smart without being callous, sincere, and not in the slightest bit melodramatic.

Brilliant.

juno_ver2.jpg

/edit sod it, it can have 10/10.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Fantastic Voyage: 4/10

Probably an 8/10 when it came out. An interesting example of how narrative styles have changed. Takes about 30 minutes before anything happens. Special effects and set were probably stunning when originally released, now they just look '60s. Actually, I saw this on a re-release in the late 1960s and they were stunning then.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Recently rewatched this. I own very few DVD movies, but this is one that I watch rather frequently.

The Punisher: 9.5/10
This, much like Garth Ennis's comics, really captures the essence of Frank. Sure Thomas Jane was closer to Ultimate Punisher than 616, but that is expected (almost all the movies are using the 1610s). The movie managed to capture Frank's descent into the underworld perfectly (without the bull**** attempt to let him return from his descent). And the soundtrack was actually pretty damned good too (including the generic songs that only play during the credits). Was a bit tame, but even Marvel Knights Frank would have gotten an NC-17 rating.

That being said, I think the reason a lot of people bashed the movie was that it was NOT a Punisher movie. It was a Frank Castle movie. For most of the movie, he is just a man looking for vengeance. It is only after he sees the aftermath of Spacker Dave's torture that he transforms into The Punisher.

I would have given it a higher score, but the rewrite of Joan just felt awkward and forced.

Sidenote: I still say it should have been a trilogy. Second movie would be a prequel with a rewrite of Born (to fit the new timeline) to show the accepted origin of The Punisher (along with flashbacks to Tyger, since that was just so ****ing amazing. Plus it was the when the seed of The Punisher was first planted in young Frank Castilogne's mind).
Third movie would have been The End, with flashbacks to The Cell (write it so he is going after the rewritten Jigsaw and maybe Mickey, who had used Frank to take out the Saints [to get revenge for his father's death]). Rewrite it so that The Cell was the final act of Frank's career (he stayed in prison afterwards) and reveal what happened as he wanders the nuclear wasteland. End with the tear-jerking scene of Frank collapsing on the road where his wife was run over (not quite the Central Park, but have to accommodate the current state of movie Punisher).

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Ratings

I try to rate most movies so that they fall in the range 4-7. 4 is a bit disappointing and 7 is a movie I quite enjoy. I expect most movies to be in that range.

To get beyond that a movie needs to be more than just run of the mill blockbuster.

The only movie I've ever rated at 10 is Iron Monkey (for obvious reasons).

There is a degree of grade inflation on this thread. I sometimes wonder about upping a rating because otherwise the "only ever 9 or 10 out of ten" crowd are going to think that 7 means only so-so. For the record, it doesn't! :)

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Visit site
The only movie I've ever rated at 10 is Iron Monkey (for obvious reasons).
The reason that ... you're named ... after it? :p

Seriously, If you've only ever seen one film that you think is absolutely amazing then that's slightly depressing to me. I just looked at my IMDB vote history and I haven't got many on there at 10, not huge amounts at nine either, and films like The Fountain and Remember the Titans which I really really like only merit an 8 and 7 respectively ... but one film at 10? Boo to that. :(

Last edited: